Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Gladys Knight or Diana Ross?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Which do you prefer of the Motown legends?

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Gladys Knight. Do we give reasons?

message 3: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Rebecca wrote: "Gladys Knight. Do we give reasons?"

You're welcome to give reasons if you like

message 4: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:30AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Can't say that I listen to either very much these days, but Diana Ross had a nice voice and did a great job with the Burt Bachrach songs, which kind of capture something about that era for me. So she gets my vote.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I've just never gone for Diana's voice. That's all.

message 6: by Malcolm (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:39AM) (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Jonathan wrote: "Can't say that I listen to either very much these days, but Diana Ross had a nice voice and did a great job with the Burt Bachrach songs. So she gets my vote."

Yeh, I also love Dionne Warwick lol Are you overworked perhaps or are you just getting on a bit?

I can't think of any Diana Ross/Bacharah songs. But Gladys singing The Look of Love is well wicked. I prefer her version of Grapevine to Marvin Gaye's too.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments No contest. Diana Ross may be a bitch, but the Supremes kick the Pips' asses from one end of the Brewster Projects to the next.

And that's nothing against Gladys Knight because I love her as well.

message 8: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Rebecca wrote: "I've just never gone for Diana's voice. That's all."

When I was a kid I was a huge Diana Ross fan due to the fact Gladys only had one or two minor hits here before the end of the decade.

But Gladys is now tops for me.

message 9: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 22, 2011 05:38AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I seem to remember an episode from a 1970s sitcom where the characters wanted to book Gladys Knight and the Pips for some charity event, but Gladys, for some reason like a delayed plane, couldn't make it. So they got just the Pips, who performed their backup dance moves and accompanying vocals behind an empty microphone stand, where Gladys would ordinarily have been. Funny. At some point, I think she finally arrives and sings "Midnight Train to Georgia." She had a nice voice too.

message 10: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Clark wrote: "No contest. Diana Ross may be a bitch, but the Supremes kick the Pips' asses from one end of the Brewster Projects to the next.

And that's nothing against Gladys Knight because I love her as well."

Believe me, I've agonized over this seeing that Diana was my first silly crush for the longest time and the supremes were seldom off my record-player we'll after Diana went solo, but Gladys has the edge far more bluesy, soulful and funky. But then I like Norman Whitfield their (Pips) producer/songwrier above both Gladys and Diana put together.

message 11: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Jonathan wrote: "I seem to remember an episode from a 1970s sitcom where the characters wanted to book Gladys Knight and the Pips for some charity event, but Gladys, for some reason like a delayed plane, couldn't m..."

That is my fave tune of theirs.

message 12: by Malcolm (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:38AM) (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Malcolm wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Can't say that I listen to either very much these days, but Diana Ross had a nice voice and did a great job with the Burt Bachrach songs. So she gets my vote."

Yeh, I also love ..."

I don't like their non in-house material - Lennon & McCartney, Rogers & Hart, so that's why I can't recall their Bacharah and David. Those would be tracks I'd listen to once and never again. I've got funny tastes like that with Diana & The Supremes.

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Gladys all the way.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11626 comments Diana Ross because, well, as far as I know she isn't mormon.

message 15: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Phil wrote: "Diana Ross because, well, as far as I know she isn't mormon."

Why does that matter?

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Gladys Knight

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11626 comments Gatorman wrote: "Why does that matter?"

Because of where I live. Any well-known mormon is celebrated here like the second coming of christ. David Archuleta, Gladys Knight, Mitt Romney, and others. Blech.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
I have no opinion other than that I admire the word Pips.

message 19: by Malcolm (last edited Feb 22, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Phil wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "Why does that matter?"

Because of where I live. Any well-known mormon is celebrated here like the second coming of christ. David Archuleta, Gladys Knight, Mitt Romney, and other..."

No, Diana isn't a Mormon. Her grandfather, however, was a church minister - but not a Mormon.

Personally, I'm not a religious. But from what I know of the Mormon faith - it's founder and his visions and the polygomy and limited gene pool, it's not the faith I would choose to be if I were to become religious at any time in the future.

I think Diana Ross's faith is the same as what Marvin Gaye's faith was.

message 20: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Lobstergirl wrote: "I have no opinion other than that I admire the word Pips."

Lobstergirl wrote: "I have no opinion other than that I admire the word Pips."

Cool. May I assume, RockLobsterGal, that you do not wear dentures?

message 21: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Gladys Knight, even if Diana Ross wasn't dead to me. "Ms. Ross" is a horrible bitch. My sister was working in a hotel she was staying at, and told us about how she abused her fans.

message 22: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Aynge wrote: "Gladys Knight, even if Diana Ross wasn't dead to me. "Ms. Ross" is a horrible bitch. My sister was working in a hotel she was staying at, and told us about how she abused her fans."

Aynge wrote: "Gladys Knight, even if Diana Ross wasn't dead to me. "Ms. Ross" is a horrible bitch. My sister was working in a hotel she was staying at, and told us about how she abused her fans."

Even if that were true her fans don't seem to mind or they'd be straight off to the National Enquirer, Washington Post, New York Times, or what have you.

message 23: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 1 comments Diana Ross. Both are talented though. AND... both have retained that talent.

message 24: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3401 comments I'd have to go with Gladys - more soul.

message 25: by General (new)

General Hafeezah (generalhafeezah) | 1 comments While I simply LOVE, LOVE LOve Gladys Knighta Voice and Music, I must say, DIana Ross is a Much better Performer. If you have ever seen her concerts, she changes outfits every 3 songs. a true performer in every sense of the word. You will enjoy her no matter the price of the ticket