Book Lovers Head Quarters! discussion

Book Discussions! > Mortal Instruments!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OMGOSH!!!!! I LOVE THIS SEIRIES!!!!! I just finished the first book, and have started the second one. It's so good that I couldn't put it down. Cassandra formed her characters very well.

message 2: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

Kristine Lopez (kristine21) | 338 comments Mod
Uh-HUH!!! totally AGREE with you BEX! :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just found this out but they are making a movie! I am so excited!

message 4: by Cat (new)

Cat | 36 comments OMG they're making a movie!!!! OMG I hope it lives up to the books standard. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on this but, I hope Alex Pettyfer is Jace.

message 5: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

yeah!!! I hope he is Jace too! :D
Did you know that they said that Pettyfer might not be going to play Jace because he has so many projects already???

Bex-read the Infernal Devices after the 3rd book! :D

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 36 comments Kristine wrote: "yeah!!! I hope he is Jace too! :D
Did you know that they said that Pettyfer might not be going to play Jace because he has so many projects already???

Bex-read the Infernal Devices after the 3rd b..."

WHAT?!?!?!?!?? so what?!?!? He's perfect! I also think that he should play Daniel Gregori in Fallen. :D

message 7: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

LOL. yeah! SAME HERE! :DDD

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat | 36 comments He's so cool! and hot!!!!

message 9: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

YEAH!!! :DDDD HAHA. LOL

have you read vanished of Meg Cabot?

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat | 36 comments lol

no what's it about?

message 11: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

about a girl who got hit by lightning, and then she can find lost people! :D And then, this guy the one that I like, Rob, helps her! :D The story's really cute :)

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat | 36 comments ooo i should read that. right now i'm reading the Blue Bloods series. how about you? what are you reading?

message 13: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

cool. I haven't read that blue blood series but I've been seeing that in the bookstore here. What is it about?

Right now, I'm reading The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and later, I'll start reading Sybil. and I'm also reading 2 more books. All of them, except for the first one are for my research in English. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

If you want info on the movie click this link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1538403/
This you can check often bc they update it!!!!
Enjoy!!! :)

message 15: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

Thanks , Destiny! :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Omg!!!!! When I herd they we making a movie I screamed. Lol I am reading the third book right now and am going to be getting the 4th book some time soon! :D

message 17: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

Congratulations Bex ! :D

So... what do you think? Great, right? :DDD

message 18: by Hannah, there is just something about books..... (new)

Hannah | 215 comments Mod
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Okay...so it is time to wipe my brain clean of my thoughts on this book. Like every good book, there are things you don't like, and things you like. The same was the case with this book.

So the things that bugged me the most were:

A. Swearing. I am a cleanie, so naturally hearing the Lord's name taken in vain kinda....hit home? But it wasn't as often as I had been afraid of.

B. Alec was gay. Though this wasn't stressed very much....it was still part of the book.

C. Some of the sexy comments. Again they weren't that common. But everyone in a while there would be some kind of comment like that.

D. Clary didn't get trained much at all. I mean she is living with warriors and during their down time they don't teach her how to survive. They kept saying that she " wasn't trained" or things along those lines and I'd be like "HELLO! YOU CAN TEACH HER SOMETHING AT LEAST" Kinda annoying.

E. Some parts were fairly slow. But you do have to have some down time. But some times it seemed that the pace could move.

F. Sometimes things were a little repetitive and they could have done something new. But with this story I could see how that worked out. So It wasn't a major thing to me.

G. Cliches. This book had many unique things to it, but there were the oh-so-commone cliches. Being a reader and having been so, I have read twists that made me think of other things. Not always in the same way, but still. Also the predictability. I think Clare could have done a bit better making it less predictable.

Okay enough faults. I'm not trying to be an editor...and I think I've made made my points clear.

I would notice these things but for the most part I tried to ignore them so that I could enjoy the story. I really like the story. I thought it was fairly well developed. It was quite original and a catching idea. Now... I continued on to the characters.

Clary- Clary is the main protagonist. It thought she was pretty good character. The story from her POV was interesting. Because she has the craziest story to tell. There were times of course I thought that she was being completly idiotic and stupid, times I liked her. Times when she seemed to be Hypocritical or just....I dunno. However I enjoyed reading from her perspective.

Jace - Where to begin? Jace was a very interesting mix of just character traits. In a way he's the kind of guy you are really annoyed at(because of decisions and thoughtlessness) and yet really like at the same time. You know? At the end....he changed like fast. I thought it was a little Not Him. And a bit sudden. It happened like twice! First Valentine tricks him. Okay so I see that. That one was okay. And the second time Clary is trying to reconvince him. He's like Lost, with-no-hope-to-return-at-the-moment. Then in a few minutes he seems to be back. I thought that was a little fast. Wow I got off topic... So I guess I'm saying that Jace was a pretty good character.

Simon- Simom was an interesting sidekick. (Is that the right term for him?) He's the best friend of the main protagonist. He's like the outcast who doesn't fit into the world. I liked him. He was a really good character. When he got hurt by Clary I'd be like "Stupid Clary". I like him. And I loved when he "killed" that Greater Demon. Go Simon. He did have his faults, yes. But I liked him all the same.

I'm not goin to go so in depth with the other characters. But I will say that I think Hodge, Valentine(seriously funny name for the villain), Luke/Lucian, Isabelle, and Alec were pretty okay characters.

I think this story was good. I was glad I got a lot of background and that well I wasn't left in the shadows. I think they made sense and were well explained.. It was a good story. Can't say it was my favorite, but I did enjoy reading this. It's up to you to choose whether or not to read (if you haven't already).

...I think this is the most detailed review I have ever done. So I applaud you CC for getting me to do this.......

View all my reviews

message 19: by Kristine, COLLEGE! sigh (new)

WOW. it's SOOOO LONG HANNAH! :OO

message 20: by Hannah, there is just something about books..... (new)

I know.

message 21: by Hannah, there is just something about books..... (new)

some books do that to me