Victorians! discussion

General Vic Era Discussions > Picnic at Hanging Rock?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a question for all you smart people on here. Does anyone know if "Picnic at Hanging Rock" by Joan Lindsay is considered Victorian? I wanted to read that book, I've heard the story before, and a little thought popped in my head asking, "is this book Victorian?" Any help you can give on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) From her ascension to the end. 1901 is still considered Victorian. Google to verify, that is what I came up with. Gruesome story.

message 3: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments Alyss, it was published in 1967, right? Was it supposed to have been written actually in the Vic era? Or were you asking if the events took place in the Vic era? I remember the book from my childhood, but don't really remember in detail much about the book.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The event happened in 1900. The book and movie is much later.

message 5: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 14 comments The story was set in 1900, the book written in 1967 and the film made in 1975. The event never happened despite much speculation to the contrary. One bit of evidence is that the girls go missing on Saturday Feb 14th when in reality Feb 14th in 1900 was a Wednesday. Time is a motif in the book though so maybe that goes some way to explaining this inaccuracy! Although, descriptions of the rock itself are uncannily accurate. Lindsay wrote a final chapter explaining the mystery which was released by the publisher 20 years after her death but it was so silly that it was a shame they spoilt the mystery. So not really a Victorian book but tenuously linked through the date - just! Lovely book that beautifully describes the Australian bush.

message 6: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments Yes, I remember the story always had a mystique about it.