To read or not to read! discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Viviana D. (new)

Viviana D. Otero (vivianaotero) | 29 comments Mod
I can't decide what book to read next. I have a list, but I am stuck! Maybe I should draw from a hat.

message 2: by JackieB (new)

JackieB I've got some ideas. How about "The Magnificent Splisbury and the Case of the Brides in the Bath"? It's really about the early days of forensics, especially post mortems, but it doesn't go into too many details. The writer cleverly used two men, George Smith, who committed the brides in the bath murders, and Splisbury who was an early pathologist. They "met" at the trial, but the book alternates between them in the early sections, so you have a sense of their paths converging and then meeting. Definitely worth considering if you enjoyed The Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

If that sound s bit dodgy for your taste (not too gory, but it is partly about post mortems), I've just finished The News Where You Are. It's a bitter-sweet, but ultimately uplifting book about love (not necessarily of other people). It's the sort of book that you can re-read because it gives you a lot to think about.
I don't know if either of those are on your list. You could always take a pin and close your eyes and stab the list. When you open your eyes, you'll realise you don't want to read the book you've "pinned", you really want to read X instead, so problem solved! You read X. That's how it works with me anyway.
PS sorry I've not been around for a while. My life got interesting, in the Chinese curse sense and it cut into my Goodreads time. Hopefully things will be back to normal more or less from now on.

message 3: by Viviana D. (new)

Sounds great! I am going to read Alan Bradley's second book and then try that one out. Did you know his third book on the Flavia De Luce series is out?

message 4: by JackieB (new)

JackieB Yes, but I am trying to be good. I have got loads of books waiting to be read.

message 5: by Viviana D. (new)

LOL! Me too.