SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Expired Challenges > Mar 2011: Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:38PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28251 comments Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge
It's St Pat's day, so the Luck of the Irish to ya!

Duration: 3/1 - 3/31/11
Rules: Read 2 books with the following items found on their covers; Choose 2 of the 3 options below; Be sure to post your book covers

Cover Art Hunt

COLOR: Green or Rainbow colored cover
ITEM #1: A clover, a field (grassy area) or food item
ITEM #2: A ghost or silhouette

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments SOS Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge March 2011

0/2 Completed

COLOR: Green - Magic Bites
ITEM #1: food item - I'm the Vampire, That's Why

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley

message 3: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Yay! Sandra's starting Kate Daniels! :)

message 4: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Yep, March is a big fat Kate Daniels, yay!

message 5: by Josie (last edited Mar 10, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Enjoy Sandra!
I'm in :D

Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge

#1. Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (5/03) ★★★★1/2
#2. Undead and Unworthy by MaryJanice Davidson (10/03) ★★★

Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2) by Rachel Caine Undead and Unworthy (Undead, #7) by MaryJanice Davidson

2/2 completed

message 6: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments I intend to Josie! Fingers crossed.

message 7: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I'm in, too!

message 8: by Kristen (last edited Mar 14, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) | 422 comments DONE! 3/14

Cover Art Hunt

ITEM #1:The Line (Line #1) by Teri Hall (Grassy Field) 3/2
ITEM #2: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan (Silhouette) 3/14

message 9: by Inga (new)

Inga | 260 comments Guys, will you accept Obsession Untamed as there is Panther's silhouette on the cover? :)

Obsession Untamed (Feral Warriors, #2) by Pamela Palmer

message 10: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:29AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Inga, I have the same question--sorry I can't help you. I'm guessing no on your example, because a silhouette is, according to the dictionary: "A drawing consisting of the outline of something, especially a human profile, filled in with a solid color." In a silhouette, you don't see details of something, just the basic outline of it's shape.

Here are the two I'm considering, do you guys think they both fit, or is one a better choice than the other? For the 2nd one, I'm talking about the black figure in the background, not the girl :)

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

message 11: by Wan (last edited Mar 25, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 612 comments I'm in for all 3.

Cover Art Hunt
2/3 Completed

COLOR: Green Cover - Night Embrace 3/5 ★★★★1/2
ITEM #1: a field - Uncertain Magic 3/18 ★★★1/2
ITEM #2: silhouette - Linger

Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) (Were-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsale Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 12: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:46AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I went through my book shelves to find some more silhouette examples:

The first 5 Mercedes Thompsons have alternate covers with a silhouetted Mercy:
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

And a few of the Harry Dresdens have a silhouetted Harry on the cover:
Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher

And Michael Grant's Gone series has alternate covers with a silhouette:
Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant Hunger (Gone, #2) by Michael Grant Lies (Gone, #3) by Michael Grant

Elizabeth Vaughn's Chronicles of the Warlands--
Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth Vaughan Warlord (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3) by Elizabeth Vaughan

Kelly Meding's Dreg City series--make sure to check out the background of book covers--silhouettes like to hide back there. :)
Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2) by Kelly Meding

Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking trilogy--
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness

James Patterson's Maximum Ride series--
The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson School's Out - Forever (Maximum Ride, #2) by James Patterson

Neal Shusterman's Skinjacker series--
Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman Everwild (Skinjacker, #2) by Neal Shusterman

The rest of these aren't all paranormal, just some more silhouette examples. :)

City of Thieves by David Benioff Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) by Rachel Caine The Devil's Kiss (Billi SanGreal, #1) by Sarwat Chadda Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, #1) by D.M. Cornish 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1) by Shannon Delany Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) by Shannon Delany Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Three Junes by Julia Glass An Abundance of Katherines by John Green A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon The Last Child by John Hart Fade to Black by Morgan Kearns From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird Sea by Heidi R. Kling Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #1) by Michelle Paver The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Peony in Love by Lisa See Old Haunts A London City Novel by Emmett Spain Light Beneath Ferns by Anne Spollen Earth Abides by George R. Stewart Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Battle Royale by Koushun Takami Ice Land by Betsy Tobin Impossible by Nancy Werlin The Prophecy's Child The Unseen by W.E.D. Wilson

message 13: by Inga (last edited Feb 22, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

Inga | 260 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "Inga, I have the same question--sorry I can't help you. I'm guessing no on your example, because a silhouette is, according to the dictionary: "A drawing consisting of the outline of something, esp..."

Thanks, Laura Lulu! Your explanation and examples really prove that my choice is incorrect :) no issues here - that's why I asked for an opinion :) will go through my TBR once more!

message 14: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Inga--go to your TBR, then click "covers" instead of "tables" in the upper right. That will give you your lists with a nice big book cover image, so you don't have to click on each darn book to see it bigger. :)

0/3

Green Cover Song of Scarabaeus Sara Creasy
Field Griffin's Daughter Leslie Ann Moore
Silhouette Unwind Neal Shusterman

Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1) by Sara Creasy Griffin's Daughter (The Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, Book 1) by Leslie Ann Moore Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

message 15: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments COLOUR Green - Tithe
ITEM #1 Food Item - I'm the Vampire, That's Why
ITEM #2 Silhouette - Secrets and Shadows

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) by Shannon Delany

message 16: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Mar 13, 2011 11:31PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28251 comments Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge
Read: 1/2

COLOR: green Primal Hunger by Sydney Somers
ITEM #2: silhouette 13 to Life by Shannon Delany 3/8/11 4★

Primal Hunger (Pendragon Gargoyles, #1) by Sydney Somers 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1) by Shannon Delany

message 17: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I got a bit carried away. But you know me, I love TBR scavenger hunts. ;)

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 1216 comments SOS Cover Art Hunt
0/2

Persecuted (Witch Hunt, #2) by Lisa Childs

ITEM #1: food item
A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison

Persecuted (Witch Hunt, #2) (Silhouette Nocturne, #14) by Lisa Childs A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1) by Tracy Madison

message 19: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28251 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "I got a bit carried away. But you know me, I love TBR scavenger hunts. ;)"

No, it was great. I didn't realize what a tough time I'd have on this one. All of them really. I'd already read my two "green" cover books, so ?!?! + silhouette, what was I thinking?! LOL!

message 20: by Patty (last edited Mar 16, 2011 12:00AM) (new)

Patty (catnaping) I'm in
2/2 Done
Cover Art Hunt

COLOR: Unseen Rachel Caine 3/3
ITEM #2: Deeply, Desperately Heather Webber 3/15

read
Unseen (Outcast Season, #3) by Rachel Caine Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2) by Heather Webber

message 21: by Crystal S (new)

Crystal S (crystalann) | 487 comments I'm in. I'll post my picks later.

message 22: by Inga (new)

Inga | 260 comments Okay.. since I could not find the book with silhouette which I'd be interested to read, I borrowed Steph's idea for the green cover. Steph, hope you don't mind :)

I'll go green in March cover hunt ;)

0/2 completed

COLOR (green cover): Primal Hunger
ITEM #1 (grassy area): Archangel's Consort

Primal Hunger (Pendragon Gargoyles, #1) by Sydney Somers Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh

message 23: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28251 comments :) Not at all, Inga. Hope we both like it.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

would this work as a silhouette cover Angel (Maximum Ride, #7) by James Patterson there is tiny silhouette in the background of one of the kids or maybe this alternate cover will work Maximum Ride Angel by James Patterson let me know what you guys think :)

message 25: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Well Kat, the 2nd one is more prominent, but as it's the same story it doesn't really matter. Being the cover hunt challenge just use the 2nd cover and that way there are no problems.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

ok thanks Sandra,the second one it is then :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok here's my list :0)

SOS Cover Hunt Mini Challenge:March
0 of 3 Done

1.Green Cover:The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney
2.Grassy Area:Wedding the Highlander by Janet Chapman
3.Silouette:Maximum Ride: Angel by James Patterson

The Iron Witch (Ironbridge Chronicles, #1) by Karen Mahoney Wedding the Highlander (Highlander, #3) by Janet Chapman Maximum Ride Angel by James Patterson

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 499 comments I'm in :)
Cover Art Hunt
0/3 Completed

Green Cover- Resurrection
Food- Pretty Dead
Silhouette- Sea

Resurrection (Wicked, #5) by Nancy Holder Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block Sea by Heidi R. Kling

message 29: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:07AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments SOS: Cover Hunt March 2011

0/3 Completed

COLOR: Green or Rainbow colored coverMaster of Smoke
ITEM #1: Food item Cooking Up a Storm
ITEM #2: SilhouetteLinger

Master of Smoke by Angela Knight Cooking Up a Storm by Emma Holly Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 30: by Michelle (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:53AM) (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 2158 comments 1/2 COMPLETED

The two I'm reading are books 1 & 3, if I get time I'll squeeze in book 2! :)

1. COLOUR - My Soul to Lose - Rachel Vincent Read 1/3
2. CLOVER/FIELD/FOOD ITEM - Undead And Unpopular - Mary Janice Davidson
3. GHOST/SILHOUETTE - Riding The Storm - Sydney Croft

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5) by MaryJanice Davidson Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1) by Sydney Croft

message 31: by Amanda A (last edited Mar 29, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 812 comments Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge
3/3 Completed

COLOR: (green cover) Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon 3/11 ★★★★
ITEM #1: (field or grassy area) No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong 3/3 ★★★★
ITEM #2: (ghost) Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready 3/28 ★★★★

Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) (Were-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7) by Kelley Armstrong Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready

message 32: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments SOS Cover Hunt Mini-Challenge March 2011

1/2 Completed

COLOR: Green - Magic Bites 2/3/11 ★★★★
ITEM #1: food item - I'm the Vampire, That's Why

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley

message 33: by Crystal S (new)

Crystal S (crystalann) | 487 comments Here's my picks. I totally stole borrowed your "food item" book Sandra. ;-)

0/3

1. Color (green) - A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
2. ITEM #1 (food item) - I'm the Vampire, That's Why by Michele Bardsley
3. ITEM #2 (silhouette) - Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher

message 34: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:54PM) (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments As long as you don't steal take my actual cupcakes, you're fine Crystal.

message 35: by Literary Ames (last edited Mar 04, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments 2/3 Read

COLOUR Green - Tithe ★★☆☆☆ Mar 3
ITEM #1 Food Item - I'm the Vampire, That's Why ★★★☆☆ Mar 4
ITEM #2 Silhouette - Secrets and Shadows (Dispatch delayed by Amazon)

Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) by Shannon Delany

message 36: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments 0 of 2 read

ITEM #1: A clover, a field (grassy area) or food item
ITEM #2: A ghost or silhouette

message 37: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Whoohoo!!
Finished :D

#1. Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (5/03) ★★★★1/2
#2. Undead and Unworthy by MaryJanice Davidson (10/03) ★★★

Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2) by Rachel Caine Undead and Unworthy (Undead, #7) by MaryJanice Davidson

2/2 completed

message 38: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Hooray, Josie!

message 39: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28251 comments YAY, Josie!

message 40: by Valorie (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:14PM) (new)

Valorie  | 446 comments Just checking in with you Steph to make sure you are ok in Japan. My condolences go you and any others who might be effected by the earthquake/Tsunami.

message 41: by Inga (new)

Inga | 260 comments Congrats, Josie!

message 42: by Laura Lulu (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:25PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments It looks like the quake was in the north of Japan--Judithe is in Shikoku, which is more south, and Steph is in Okinawa, which is way south, but they're both islands, and I don't know the reaches of the tsunami.

Steph...Judithe...???

message 43: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments 8.4-8.9 Earthquake makes a damn big tsunami. Asking lots of places to watch out for it.

Effects like fire being felt in Toyko. I'll PM them but they may be busy!!

message 44: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Steph was just on here, then nothing when the reports came out. Shikoku is closer to the epi, but it's a bigger island than Oki--don't know how close Judithe is to the coast. Okinawa is far south, but it is a teensy tiny island. :(

message 45: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 446 comments Well I hope our girls are ok! My prayers are with both Judithe and Steph.

message 46: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments OK I've PMd them. We'll have to wait & see.

Fingers crossed.

message 47: by Inga (new)

Inga | 260 comments All my positive thoughts and emotions to them!

message 48: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments It says the tsunami warning extends to the Philippines, Indonesia & the Pacific coast of Russia, so I'm guessing they're hunkered down, or whatever it is you do for a tsunami warning--evac to higher ground? Dammit. It's 1:30am here & my alarm goes off in 5 hrs, but I'm guessing GR isn't their top priority right now & we won't be hearing from them for a bit--I'm gonna go night night. And hope we've heard from them by the time I wake up.

message 49: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Tsunami warning goes as far as Hawaii too.

And something like 4 million people are without power & they're worried about 5 nuclear power stations, so it could be they are without power, or busy.

message 50: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Definitely busy. :)

« previous 1 3