Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Author Q&A Series > Author Q&A Forum: Catriana

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Here is Catriana in her own words:

Hello! I'm Catriana, 26 years old and happily married with two dogs. I currently live in Yokohama, Japan and will be back in the states 2012. First time winner of NaNoWriMo 2010 and I'm very new to the publishing world. Destined is my first novel and I'm extremely excited for this opportunity!

1. So how did you get into writing?

I've always been writing. From ABC illustrated books when I was 7 to creating worlds in my head at the age of 10. I wrote a lot in notebooks and when I got into Anime, I started writing a lot of fanfiction.

2. How long have you been writing?

For as long as I can remember.

3. What was the first story you got published? How did you get it published?

Destined is my first novel, to be released this June by Silver Publishing. I found out about Silver from a Yahoo!Group a friend recommended I join. I spoke to the CEO there, submitted my manuscript and three days later I received a response!

4. What genres do you write in? What attracted you to those genres?

Romance, Fantasy, Gay & Lesbian, and Interracial. I've always loved Romance and Fantasy, most of my works have involved them in some manner. Gay and Lesbian is new for me, something I started on just last year. I enjoy diversity, so I think that's what attracted me to doing something beyond the standard M/F stories.

5. What inspires you as an author and why? Which writers have been influential on you and why?

Anything and everything. My mind is constantly churning with ideas, muses, characters, etc. I daydream a lot. Music helps me with scenes, specifically fight scenes, and yes, even watching Anime helps.

As for influential writers, I'd have to say Piers Anthony, Philip Jose Farmer, Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Christine Feehan and a lot of Harlequin romance authors that I read as a kid(it's a long story). Piers Anthony the most, as my father read the Incarnations of Immortality books to me as a girl. I swear I've read 'With a Tangled Skein' a million times from the time I was 11 on.

6. So why do you write interracial romance?

As I said before, I love diversity. I love reading and writing about new things. In addition, I am a black woman married to a white man, so I understand the joys and nuances concerning interracial relationships. I enjoy delving into different cultures and learning new things, it's very enlightening.

7. Tell us about your current work.

Destined is the first book of a series called Arcanus. It's a fantasy setting and details the lives of two elven males, Sarnaiel and Naliel. Sarnaiel is a dark elf who was raised by his rival race the high elves when he was abandoned as a baby. Naliel is a half-elf with a dark skinned human mother and a high elven father.

Although Destined is the first book, it initially started as a side story, and can be read as a stand alone. Here's a full summary:

Raised together, Sarnaiel and Naliel are as close as brothers could be, until the dark elf Sarnaiel decides he wants them to be something more. Only after he reveals his intentions does he learn of an arranged marriage that stands between them and their happiness. Unable to stand the idea of the one he loves with another, he vanishes, leaving Naliel alone...or so he thought.

But someone has been watching the young half elf from the shadows, and without Sarnaiel's presence he makes his move in the most brutal of ways. Naliel survives, but his mind and body are broken. Sarnaiel returns to pick up the pieces, mending and nurturing and rebuilding their bond, but once again their relationship is thwarted by the birth of Naliel's bride.

Once the source of his greatest joy, Sarnaiel becomes Naliel's torment. For Sarnaiel, when hurt, strikes back twice as hard and viciously. It doesn’t matter who it is. He almost goes too far and through that, finally learns what should be truly important to him. The oath they make that day is what seals their already unbreakable bond, and the two grow older, and wiser, together. For no matter what happens, no matter what they face, even if it's their own kin, they live by their promise:

"It was us from the beginning, and it'll be us until the end."

I am currently working on a few anthology submissions, but I'll keep those quiet if/when they are accepted.

8. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

You're going to see it a thousand times and I'm going to repeat it: Write. Write, write, write. You do not get better unless you write. There is always something to learn, always something to improve on. If you don't think your writing is good enough now, KEEP WRITING. Everyone has to start somewhere, and if writing is the path you wish to pursue, that's all it takes. Seriously. Write, read, take notes from your favorite authors.

Don't knock yourself down. Develop a thick skin, because once you put your writing out there to the public, someone is going to say something negative. Don't let it get to you, use it as fuel for your muse.

Find a critique partner. A good friend who wants you to succeed and has no qualms in telling you the hard truth. Someone who will point out the flaws, inconsistencies, and is not afraid to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have the most amazing critique partner and my novel would not have made the massive improvements it did without her.

Last but not least: Just do it. I never thought I would be good enough to be published, so I hesitated in submitting anything. But my friends told me "If you want something, go for it. Just do it." I did, and now I'm here. You never know until you do.

9. What are your goals as a writer? Where do you see your writing career in five years?

I would love to do this full time, to make a real living off of my writing. Just becoming a published writer had felt like a pipe dream, so I feel at this point as long as I keep trucking, I can achieve any goal I have for myself.

In five years? I could see myself finished with my series and moving on with whatever else my mind comes up with. I'd also like to help out aspiring writers by discussing my own experiences.

10. What message are you trying to convey through your writing? What do you want to say to your reading audience and future readers?

A message? Hm, I don't think I try to convey any particular message, not intentionally. I write for myself, and hope that people will read and enjoy my work just as much as I enjoyed writing them.

To my current readers: Thank you so much for all your love and support. I would not have had the courage to do this were it not for your comments and reviews!

To my future readers: Thank you for giving my work a chance and I hope you like what you read!

11. Who is your biggest role model in life? As a writer?

I don't really have a role model(I know, it's weird). As a writer, I look up to a lot of other writers, mostly all the ones I listed earlier.

12. Is there anything you want to ask the members of this group?

What do you love the most about interracial romance novels?

13. Is there anything else you want us to know about you?

My current obsession/longing desire is Ball Jointed Dolls (BJD). I want to eventually have one for all my favorite characters from my series.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us a little bit about you here on the Fans of Interracial Romance group, Catriana!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments Great article. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know you. Dee

message 3: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Catriana, it was nice getting to know you in this interview. Best wishes for much success with your first novel.

postcrdprincess | 383 comments Great Interview Catariana. I wish you much succes!!