Requiem for a Dream Requiem for a Dream discussion

Lost Hope

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Exactingnemesis Difficult book to read because there is literally no punctuation...an authentic style...I loved the book and the movie. Young dreams that are decimated by, I hate to say poor choices, how about getting caught up in a web...very sad...haunting...should be a must read, must see for all high school kids...much better than the "just say no policy" and the scrambled egg that's supposed to be your brain on drugs...

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Totally, i have watched the movie and i swear to god after watching the blue rotten arm of harry i am never going a mile near drugs

Megan Exactingnemesis wrote: "Difficult book to read because there is literally no punctuation...an authentic style...I loved the book and the movie. Young dreams that are decimated by, I hate to say poor choices, how about ge..."

I remember that was VERY hard for me, becuase I couldn't figure out who was talking, when they started/stopped, etc. The movie was excellent though, wish I would have seen this in my DARE classes back in the day... would have steered clear from EVERYTHING!!!!

Marija *I'm nothing but a slave of my misery* Really loved the movie and the book was even better! Great story about drug addict and where that can take you... And Harry's arm........ I wanted to throw up when I saw that.......

Marc Nash haven't seen the movie but the book is very good (his book "The Room" is his best in my opinion.

In "Requiem" I love the gradually diminishing hope of their dream of selling a pure kilo as they keep chipping into it themselves.

Marija *I'm nothing but a slave of my misery* Marc wrote: "haven't seen the movie but the book is very good (his book "The Room" is his best in my opinion.

In "Requiem" I love the gradually diminishing hope of their dream of selling a pure kilo as they ke..."

You should watch the movie it's really good!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It is a shame some people find the unique writing style a challenge. Some of the most talented authors write in this fashion. Thank goodness I can deal with this, surprises me too but I am thankful. Curious about the movie, I hear it is VERY different from the book - much more disturbing and graphic. For those that find the lack of punctuation trying - keep at it, worth the effort.

Eric the writing style is interesting for 2 reasons:

1. If you stick with it, it forces a careful reading of the book. As you parse the substantial paragraphs, you also parse through the novel itself.

2. The blurred and confusing style gives you a sense of blurred and confusing thinking of the characters.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I found the movie better than the book. I think they conveyed the messages even stronger in the cinematic version (and of course that score was amazing.) The book was more readable the second half, but I didn't appreciate the unique experiments the writer tried with prose.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Eric wrote: "the writing style is interesting for 2 reasons:

1. If you stick with it, it forces a careful reading of the book. As you parse the substantial paragraphs, you also parse through the novel itself..."

I didn't get the blurred part - but I do agree with you that if you force yourself to slow down, slower reading made the style more enjoyable and survivable.

message 11: by Ramona (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ramona Anya wrote: "Totally, i have watched the movie and i swear to god after watching the blue rotten arm of harry i am never going a mile near drugs"

True! And it could have been even worse. The characters could have also easily have gotten AIDs from sharing needles and died but this book was written in the 1970s so nobody knew that yet.

message 12: by KT (new) - rated it 5 stars

KT Anyone else here feel like this book would be of great use for anti-drug education?

message 13: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Michael I'm truly surprised at the number of people for whom the lack of quote marks made it difficult to know who was speaking. The patterns of speech were different for each and every character. For me each person speaking was a different musical instrument added to this glorious, albeit depressing requiem.

message 14: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Leone If you liked Requiem you might like my novel Wasting Talent. Selby was one of my biggest influences. The story is about a failed rock star that becomes trapped by violence and heroin addiction. It's dark like Requiem but has a lot of humor as well. There's a great sample section for free on amazon. http://amzn.to/1q16I7t

Let me know what you think of the sample.

message 15: by Ramona (last edited Dec 18, 2014 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ramona This novel reminded me a lot of Jim Carolls The Basketball Diaries that was also made into a movie starring Leo DiCaprio.

message 16: by Ramona (last edited Dec 18, 2014 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ramona Eric wrote: "the writing style is interesting for 2 reasons:

1. If you stick with it, it forces a careful reading of the book. As you parse the substantial paragraphs, you also parse through the novel itself..."

This style of writing is called stream of consciousness with street slang.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

An article on the subject "stream of consciousness" http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

message 18: by Marc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc Nash thanks for posting. I've read a good proportion of those books and their success is mixed. "Pigeon English" doesn't crackle or fizz at all in its language, it's somehow cloying and sentimental. "Room" suffers because no 5 year old voice can sustain the weight of an adult novel if that voice is to be genuine, but the author made a brave stab at it.