Pennsylvania discussion

Pennsylvania Attractions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments What is your favorite attraction to visit in PA? It can be a park or museum etc. And what is it that you enjoy about this place?

message 2: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 82 comments Have you been to Jim Thorpe in Carbon County? Named for the athlete and Olympic medalist, it abounds in history and other tourist attractions.
For the architectural buff it offers the two Packer homes open to the public, scores of other interesting homes and buildings. There's also railroading, the old jail where four Molly Maguires were hanged, quaint shops, good hiking in the area, whitewater rafting and paint ball sites.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments J.R. wrote: "Have you been to Jim Thorpe in Carbon County? Named for the athlete and Olympic medalist, it abounds in history and other tourist attractions.
For the architectural buff it offers the two Packer h..."

I have traveled through on business but have never had the chance to stop and visit but have always wanted to. I guess maybe I should move this up on my places to visit.

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 12 comments I enjoy going to Gettysburg. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Gettysburg has the battle field to visit plus all the shops and museums.

And the National Watch and Clock museum in Columbia is also very nice. I visited it for the first time last year and wasn't disappointed. It's a great museum.

message 5: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 42 comments J.R. wrote: "Have you been to Jim Thorpe in Carbon County? Named for the athlete and Olympic medalist, it abounds in history and other tourist attractions.
For the architectural buff it offers the two Packer h..."

Jim Thorpe was the 20th C's greatest athlete. He won the Olympic Decathalon and played both professional football and baseball.

Also the rest of the Molly's were hung in my hometown.

And Jim Thorpe is a beautiful place. Great place for hiking and biking.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments Eden wrote: "I enjoy going to Gettysburg. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Gettysburg has the battle field to visit plus all the shops and museums.

And the National Watch and Clock museum in Columbia..."

Actually going plan on going over to Gettysburg sometime in the next few months.

This month I will be headed up to Hershey.

Yes I have been to the National Watch and Clock museum. I wrote a website page on it. Great place. I love seeing all the old grandfather clocks.

Then sometime in the summer I may hit Carbon County.

message 7: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 12 comments Wendy wrote: "Eden wrote: "I enjoy going to Gettysburg. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Gettysburg has the battle field to visit plus all the shops and museums.

And the National Watch and Clock museum ..."

Gettysburg really is nice. I hope you'll enjoy it when you go. May I see the website you wrote about Watch and Clock museum?

Recently I've been to a few other places in Pennsylvania that I really enjoyed and hope to go back to.
I went to Centralia, which is now pretty much a ghost town. Over 50 years ago its mines caught on fire and they haven't been able to put out the fires. It was interesting to see the town.
Ashland was also a town I'd love to go back to and go on a tour of the mines.
Bloomsburg was also a very, very nice town. I'd love to go to their Fair they have in September.

message 8: by Wendy (last edited Jan 05, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Wendy | 181 comments I enjoyed visiting Johnstown and learning about the flood. I also liked taking a ride on the inclined plane; it is the steepest vehicular incline in the world!

message 9: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Chough | 4 comments Jim Thorpe and Gettysburg are wonderful.

There's also Ohiopyle State Park - great rafting, hiking, biking etc.. and yes, it is in PA despite the name.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments Oh yes I absolutely loved Ohiopyle. I had a great time camping and rafting!