CCC Reads discussion

First book-- Room : a novel By Emma Donoghue

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie It looks like "Room" By Emma Donoghue got the most votes as our first book to discuss. We have this book at the CCC Library. Call us at 252-222-6213 to be put on hold for it. We also have it as an audio book on cd. Ready, set, read! (or listen!) Then post your comments on this discussion thread. There's no time limit--read and post whenever you are able.

Here's a short description of the book from our catalog:

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I absolutely loved this book! It was so engrossing and Jack was such a "real" character. I think that one of the reasons that I loved this books so much is that you remember what it is to be a child and always in the moment. This books is one that I read in pretty much one day, it grabbed me hard and I just had to finish. This will be a definite reread!

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara | 4 comments I agree, I love it as well. I literally couldn't put it down. At first I thought it was going to be a sad story but because it was from Jack's point of view, it really wasn't. The only life he knew was in "room" so that was normal for him.

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 1 comments Fantastic book. There was a list of people to get the hard cover book so I opted for the audio book. I didn't think this was going to be quite my cup of tea but it was so engrossing that I hated everytime I had to stop listening. There were four different people doing the parts and they were all outstanding. If you ever thought audio books were not for you, try this one - you won't want to leave your car:)

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Miller | 4 comments I will be starting this book soon and will post then.

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Okay, here's a few questions to get our discussion of "Room" going. Answer all or just a few!

--If you were Ma, what would you miss most about the outside world?

--What are some of the ways in which Jack’s development has been stunted by growing up in Room? How has he benefited?

--What would you ask for, for Sundaytreat, if you were Jack? If you were Ma?

Looking forward to reading your responses!

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Miller | 4 comments I purchased this book this week and will being reading it when I am through Reading The Help. I am so excited about haveing it now. Melinda