~Opinions~ discussion

Other > Racism

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
even in a world which is supposed to be more modern in its views and more accepting as a whole, racism is still going strong in the world.
im pretty sure no one here thinks its right. what i want to know is:
1.what is the main cause for it?
2.will humans ever stop hating others for their differences?
3.do you thing anything can be done about it?

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments i agree with lindsay. i also think some religions play a part in racism, maybe a religion says that a certain type of person isn't good or something...
i hope that humans will stop hating each other, but i highly doubt that that will ever happen. yes, i know im a pessimist
the main cause i think is fear. people are scared of things they dont know, things that are different.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Ugh I hate racism. Some people I know are pretty racist. But I have friends from all over the world, so I'm okay with different people.

message 4: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Racits just have a depressing life; they want to hurt others because they are hurt themselves.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 17 comments i thought the main reason for racism between black/ white people today was the whole slavery thing

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I was just saying... lol.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 17 comments i wasn't talking about your comment.

message 9: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments racism really depends on where you live, im not saying its good to do this but a lot of ppl judge others the way they dress and act- that's just the way it it. so in some neighborhoods blacks act and dress in a way that's inappropriate in the eyes of other so they're viewed in that way, and therefore people feel racist towards them. (I'm not saying I'm racist, and i really hope im not offending anyone here).

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) As much as I despise racism and discrimination, I despise people with double standards towards it even more. See, people woth black skin aren't bad just because, but they aren't good "just because" either. I've stumbled upon my fair share of black people who actually insulted me for being white, just as I've met Muslims who insulted me just for being danish.

So bottom line: people who flare up about (supposed) racism and discrimintaion and how everyone is (supposedly) against them, and then go on right away and do stuff like the above, annoy me to the same extends as "Me white - you black/".

message 11: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

also what kinda annoys me is when someone is embarrased to call someone by what they are when they are trying to describe them because they think its insulting.
for example:
you want to point someone out to your friend in a crowd because of something random and that person just happens to have dark skin, but instead of saying 'the black person', you would say 'the guy with the red shirt and black hair or something'
for some reason it bugs me. its kinda acting like the word 'black person' is a bad thing, so you dont want to say it, but you want to describe him with something else.
well you know what, he IS black, and there is nothing wrong with it. saying something else instead of saying 'black' to me seems more like racism then saying 'black'.
does that make sense?

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Being gay is no a physically apparent trait, so by saying "he's the gay guy" you're forcing the person you're talking to to take their list of gay stereotypes on appearance and try to find a person who matches that, whereas if you just say the black guy, it's obvious physically who is black, and no assumptions are required.

message 13: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments some black people are offended by being called black

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Then what the fuck are they, "a shade darker than other people?" If you can't say black there's really no other non-pussyfooting way of speaking about that demographic.

message 15: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

exactly. but like you would say 'that blond girl over there' why cant you say 'that black girl over there'?

message 16: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments there's a joke that a plane was going to crash (?), so the pilot said we're gonna let ppl off according to alphabetical order- A, all African Americans, B- Blacks. a black kid said to his mother " Isn't it good we're shvartzas?"
anyone who's not Jewish won't get this, but it proves the point (sorry its a bit of a racist joke)

message 17: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

im jewish and i still dont get it... lol :)

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments im with siareen, im a jew and i also dont get it.

message 19: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments idk its probably only an american n.y thing
shvatzas meaning shwartz which in yiddish means black- its a derogatory term though (which i think its a really big chilul Hashem that Jews call blacks this)

message 20: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

never heard it before. ya, it probably is though, by the sound of it. oh haha now i got the joke...

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments i think i have heard them be called shvartzas actually. now i get the joke too. but its not funny, no offense.

message 22: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol, that happens all the time. also, sometimes i tell a joke and nobody laughs, so i start explaining it and then its not funny anymore. or it never was, and i was just making a fool of myself... :)

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments lol siareen, i can see you doing that. al ot.

message 24: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments sorry i tend to mess up jokes, but i didn't mean for it to be like a ha ha type joke. i never heard of it b4 until my s.s teacher told it us illustrating this point.

message 25: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

thanks zoe. lol.

message 26: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments Have any of you read Maus by Art Speigelman? In it, Art's dad was a Holocaust survivor. Art and his dad were driving home with some groceries. Art let in a hitchhiker, who was black. The dad started freaking out, worried that the guy would steal their groceries. Art found the experience hypocritical of his dad, and told him so, but the dad kept insisting that shvatzas were nothing like Jews.

message 27: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments i just think that if ur jewish and ur racist then ur being a self-hating Jew pretty much, because there are Ethiopian jews who are black and there are garim ( converts) who are black.

message 28: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments Yeah, that scene was really ironic.

message 29: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments we have a bunch of Ethiopian jews in our school. but they aren't the only really dark ones. have my school is super dark, they are from Morocco, and Yemen, and Persia. well not them, their parents or grandparents.... and then there are other Americans and Europeans like me. i love my school, its such a mix of different people.

message 30: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

haha Zoe... :)

message 31: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments why haha?