What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Sweetheart Season
This topic is about The Sweetheart Season
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > cooking school during 1940's fiction softball team [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments I think this book was published in 1990's, I thought the title was something like "the year of my war" (unable to find with bing search) about a girls' home economics class set during WWII so thrift/economy was a theme and there was a softball team I believe. Possibly set on East Coast and even tho it was high school setting, I don't think it was a YA novel. I probably found the book on a bargain table at Barnes & Noble.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments Do you remember the names of the characters in the book? or place..other than East Coast? Name of the high school?

message 3: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments Pam wrote: "Do you remember the names of the characters in the book? or place..other than East Coast? Name of the high school?"

don't remember names or places. seems like it was told in the first person. don't recall the jacket either.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments ? Summer of My German Soldier?

message 5: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments Pam wrote: "? Summer of My German Soldier?"

don't think so, no 'enemy' soldiers to my recollection.

message 6: by April Ann (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments Wow.. I don't know if that is the correct book or not for Savta but I will definately put that one on my To-READ!!

message 8: by Jena (new)

Jena | 40 comments Long shot: Bat 6 by Virginia Euwer Wolff? I've never read it, but it's about softball & WWII. It is YA, though. And set in jr. high, I think.

message 9: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments it isn't The Tamarisk Tree or Bat 6, but thank you for the suggestions....

message 10: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments I'm still trying to recall this book; I'm thinking that it was actually a post high school story, more likely a business testing recipes and household hints. The point of view is from one of the girls employed to test recipes; I don't think there's much drama/romance to the story; not sure what the conflict is that drives the story line :(
hope that jogs someone's memory.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Savta, are you still looking for this book?

message 12: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Savta, are you still looking for this book?"

Yes, I still am searching for this book, thanks.No new recollections either :(

message 13: by CLM (new) - rated it 2 stars

CLM | 302 comments Could this be The Sweetheart Season? It was a book I wanted to love but found somewhat disappointing.

message 14: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments CLM wrote: "Could this be The Sweetheart Season? It was a book I wanted to love but found somewhat disappointing."

Sounds like it is the book; thank you. I'll look for it at the library and then I'll be sure. I'll be back to close this search as soon as I check at the library ;)

message 15: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments Ok, finally found a copy of The Sweetheart Season and this is what I've been trying to recall. Thank you

message 16: by Savta (new)

Savta | 58 comments CLM wrote: "Could this be The Sweetheart Season? It was a book I wanted to love but found somewhat disappointing."

thanks for the tip, it's the book :)