Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
This topic is about The Iron King
Previous BOMs - Authors; I - L > Kagawa, Julie - The Iron King - March 2011 BOM

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sashana This topic is open for discussion of The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS.
The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 21, 2011 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments As always you can answer all or none or only those you like of the following questions. They are just here to encourage everyone to discuss the book.

What do you think about Kagawa incorporating A Midsummer Night's Dream's characters into her book? Did you like it or not?

Are you team Robbi/Puck or team Ash? Why? What did you like or dislike about them?

What did you think of Grimalkin? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

Thoughts abut Meghan? Did you like her or did she have you shaking your head all the time because of her willingness to make a deal?

Thoughts on how Meghan was compared to a cold beer? Yikes - how embarrassing.

What do you think of what Puck did to Angie?

What did you think about Meghan's Fae transformation?

What do you think happened to the man she thought was her father?

Thoughts about the Iron King?

Thoughts about Oberon?

What do you think will happen in the next book? Will you continue reading the series?

Sans Ok, I haven't read the book at all, but the Megan/cold beer question reminded me of the Red Dwarf episode where Lister and Rimmer met their female selves in an alternate universe. "If you want to keep your beer cool, stick it between his legs".

Yeah. Going now. *waves*

message 4: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Mar 06, 2011 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments What do you think about Kagawa incorporating A Midsummer Night's Dream's characters into her book? Did you like it or not?

I like that Kagawa incorporated A Midsummer Night's Dreams characters into the book. It motivates me to push that play up higher on my TBR pile just so I can see what the characters were originally like. I also want to learn more about the folklore behind the Seelie and Unseelie Courts so that's on my To-Do-and-Read list too.

I think Grim is a good guy. I like him. He reminds me of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland, and the cats in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy. Nonetheless, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why he is being so darn helpful. What is his motive? I'll be a little annoyed about this if the author does not provide a good explanation by the end of the series.

What do you think will happen in the next book? Will you continue reading the series?

I think that we will see Meghan's experience as a Winter Court prisoner, and a deepening relationship between her and Ash. I think I may continue reading the series although I've read of a shocking conclusion to the last book which makes me hesitant. I've also read that there is going to be another book out from Ash's POV. If it continues the story from where it left off, I will probably hold off reading the rest of the books until that one has been published.

message 5: by Sans (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sans Wow, I'm actually participating in a group read discussion. Please, pick your jaws up off the floor. I'm sure this is just a fluke. ^o^

I'm gonna post my response before reading the other posts.

What do you think about Kagawa incorporating A Midsummer Night's Dream's characters into her book? Did you like it or not?
I did like it. I haven't read the play since my intro to English class in college, so I'm fuzzy on a lot of it. I didn't remember Titania being that bitchy though. Is she supposed to still be pitching a fit about not being able to take lovers? I thought she and Oberon patched things up at the end of the play?

I did like the changes in Puck. Reading some of the reviews I've read stated they did not like how his character had changed. I fail to agree. I see Puck as growing up a bit while he was watching over Meghan. He's spent 16 years in the mortal world (not a long time for a fey, granted) watching the bastard daughter of his king grow up. He's been her only friend since she moved to the boondocks, her confidant and the only one to stand by her no matter what. It's obvious he loves her and is in love with her, so the change in his character is really only to be expected in this kind of situation.

Are you team Robbi/Puck or team Ash? Why? What did you like or dislike about them?
Team Puck all they way. As I stated in my review, I'm getting pretty tired of the bad boys and tragic romances in YA fiction these days. Robbie is the boy next door (literally) and Puck really does want to protect and care for Meghan. Ash is all mysterious, growly and "I'm going to kill you or hand you over to my mom. I haven't decided yet." *rolling eyes* And that bit in the Iron Kingdom, where they were stuck in the pipe because of the acid rain? Did anyone else feel his confession along the lines of , "If I knew I'd meet you, I wouldn't have hated Puck for accidentally killing my girlfriend" was lame and just an excuse to keep the conflict going?

I don't think Grim is either. He's amoral. He wouldn't intentionally harm anyone, but he won't help without basically being bribed.

Thoughts abut Meghan? Did you like her or did she have you shaking your head all the time because of her willingness to make a deal?
She really didn't learn much of anything. I understand that she had a noble goal and needed to find her brother, but she was far too willing to barter parts of herself away. I'm sure there were other ways to get things done without doing that.

That was just cruel. Far beyond standard bullying. Not even funny. I was hoping Puck would at least kick jock-dude in the balls.

It was mean but she ended up being a better person for it. I liked how she helped Meghan at the end. I hope she stays nicer after her surgery and becomes a solid secondary character.

Laaaaaame. It got mentioned like twice and pretty much dropped. Hopefully it will be explored a bit more in the next book. Or that Meghan will develop some personality. Oy vey.

It sounded like Oberon knew the guy and that he was now in the Nevernever. I wonder if he was fey himself and fell in love with Meghan's mom but Oberon called him back so that Meghan would have a better chance of staying hidden.

Laaaaaame. What the hell was that? "I've watched you since you were a child and I'm in love with you and want to make you my Queen." Ok, Uncle Chester, that's just too pedophiliac. There was this huge build up to the big show down...and it was over in a few paragraphs. I did like that nature was the only way to kill him, but I wish there had been more...I dunno. Drama and action? I think we all knew Meghan was going to be the one to do the deed, but I wish there had been more too it.

Thoughts about Oberon?
He comes off as a jackass and he didn't bother to keep an eye on Meghan except by sending Puck to watch out for her. He seemed more concerned about keeping his cloak clean than making sure Meghan was safe. I'm hoping his character develops more in the other books.

I will keep reading the series. I'd love for Meghan to realize Ash is just not the dude for her and fall for Puck. Of course, that just won't happen. I think either the original Iron King will try to rise back to power or that chick with the green lipstick (Swarm? Viral?) will try to gain favor with the other fey that looks just like Ash (he's got some Roman name, can't remember it). I'm really hoping I'm wrong and that Ash's doppelganger isn't going to fall for Meghan as well.I don't need a love dodecahedron here. A triangle is more than enough.
I also think Meghan will finally meet the guy who she thought was her dad but she won't recognize him since she sold that memory to the Oracle.
Oh. Just had a thought. I really hope the iron Ash twin isn't her old man or something. Yikes.

EDIT: Just had another thought about how the series could go. Since Meghan is already royalty and is immune to iron, I wonder if she's going to end up being the Iron Queen anyway?

Sans Niquae, I'm curious about this shocker conclusion you mentioned. I think I'll try to avoid spoiling myself for now though. As tempting as it sounds, I'm trying to be a better reader and not read the last chapter first like I usually do. ^o^

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments LOL, Sans. These days I'm being a very bad reader. :D When I read about this shocking conclusion in reviews, I simply couldn't rest until I found out what it was. I would hate to finish reading the books to find out something really dismaying which would have made me wished I'd never started the series. I think that it is a conclusion I might be able to stomach so we'll see. I will continue reading but I'll be waiting on the next book to come out first.

I like what you said about the changes to Puck. I agree with you.

That guy who looks like Ash and has a Roman name, was it Tertius?

Sans Thank you! Yes, I believe that was his name. Didn't the jackass that was mad at him for being kinda nice to Meghan get killed?

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Not sure. It's been almost a week since I read it and I've forgotten details. ^_^

message 10: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 07, 2011 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I actually bought A Midsummer Night's Dream and will read it. I never have. I wonder if this is a book you appreciate more if you've read the play?

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Let me know when you start it. Perhaps we can read it together. I wonder that too, Lisarenee.

Melinda (disney4me) | 32 comments BOM - The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
March 1 - March 31, 2011

I have no opinion on this one. I haven’t read A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

I am team Ash. I felt that Ash would be better boyfriend material. He seems more grounded than Puck. He is not rash and thinks things through. He is his own man, even though he is loyal to the winter queen.

As far as Puck, I think he is a very good friend and bodyguard. However, he is very spontaneous and is quick to respond without thinking them through. He is very devoted to Meghan and I know cares for her a great deal, but I just can’t see them together.

I have not read the other books, but am making the assumption that Meghan will be ruling a kingdom. I cannot see Puck as a ruler and, therefore, see Ash as the better of the two.

Good question. I think Grim is a good guy. He is motivated by something and I think that something is inside of Meghan. Again, I think Meghan will be a ruler in Fairie in whatever court there may be and he is aligning himself. Yes, I believe it is for selfish reasons, but in the long run will benefit Meghan.

I like Meghan. I think she has some growing to do, but she is intelligent and does try to do the right thing. I think Ash and Puck can be great guides. As far as her willingness to make deals, well, mostly I agreed with what she was trying to do. She is, at least, trying to be smart about them. She knows what she has to bargain with and does her best not to walk into a trap as so seen with the bar owner (can’t remember her name). The more she deals with the Fae, the more she will learn.

No opionin

I thought Angie deserved a taste of her own medicine. I do not think it should have been permanent, only long enough to realize what it was like to be on the receiving in. However, I did not believe Angie’s transformation. I figured her character was weaker than that in that appearance meant everything. It was kind of nice to see her change, but I really don’t believe that’s how it would have gone.

Not much to say about this question; only that I thought it was appropriate. I truly believe she will play a major roll in Fairie.

Boy, I don’t even know what to think. I assume he is in Fairie somewhere, but, why?

I thought the 1st king was correct in determining that the Summer and Winter courts would try and destroy the Iron world. Can they live in peace? I think so, but it would take some major treaties. Further, with the Iron Kingdom growing (due to science, technology and humans no longer believing in the Fae) I think there will be some major clashing. I’m, of course, hoping for a peaceful coexistence.

Thoughts about Oberon?
Another tough question. I don’t feel he is a very good father or even father figure. I know he thought he was doing what he felt was best in protecting Meghan. However, in sending Puck to protect her, I think it was inevitable that she would be brought in the Fae world.

I will most definitely keep reading the series. I NEED to know what happens next. What do I think will happen? I have no idea. I hope Ash and Meghan become closer. I hope they bring the Fae Kingdoms together. I hope Puck finds someone to love, but continues to be a friend and protector. I hope she returns to visit with her family, most especially her little brother. And most of all, I’m hoping for a very happy ending.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Niquae, I'm thinking of starting this weekend. Do you have a copy of A Midsummer Night's Dream?

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Niquae, I'm thinking of starting this weekend. Do you have a copy of A Midsummer Night's Dream?"

I think so. I've got The Great Books so I'm sure A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of the plays listed under Shakespeare. I'll check when I get home.

message 15: by Jex (last edited Mar 26, 2011 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments What do you think about Kagawa incorporating A Midsummer Night's Dream's characters into her book? Did you like it or not?
I didn't like it. While I know that the Midsummer characters are not strictly from that book, I felt it took away from the character development by relying so heavily on Midsummer characters and the backgrounds from that. My biggest complaint about this book is that I couldn't connect with the characters, and I feel that if the author had made more of her own characters there may have been more/better character development over all.

Neither. First off I didn't think the characters were developed well enough for to care too much about either of them. Second, I felt the romantic aspect of both to be forced and basically just thrown into the story with no real purpose.

Overall I think Grimalkin is a good guy. His species isn't known for being particular nice or looking out for anyone, but that doesn't make him bad. In the end he did help Meghan for free afterall.

Personally I didn't like Meghan. I felt the character itself had too much of a one-track mind and very little depth to her personality. Honestly I didn't really care what happened to her because I didn't feel any connection with the character.

What do you think will happen in the next book? Will you continue reading the series? My guess is the author will try to develop some kind of love affair between Ash and Meghan and they will once again have to save the Never Never. Honestly, I don't care what happens next. I had to force myself through this book and I won't be picking up the next one.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this was one of my first books about Fairys and I felt that the book assumed you knew a lot of things about the creatures. For example, I knew there was something wrong about giving your real name, but I had to look up exactly what because the book kept mentioning it but not why. There were quite a few times where I felt I had to look at outside sources to find an answer to a question which I don't think should happen too much in a book that is supposedly introducing a girl to the fairy world for the first time. I mean, how did Meghan learn these things?

Sandra | 27 comments I actually read this one about a year ago so my memory is a bit hazy on the details. I defintely liked it though.

No strong feelings either way but having read quite a few faery stories over the years I am kind of used to these characters popping up. Although given how well known and written about the character of Puck is it made him less believable as a potential romantic lead for me.

I was not really on either team after the first book as I felt the romance element was a little forced and unbelievable, particuarly what appeared to the main romance between Ash & Meghan. There didn't seem to be any real conversation or connection between them certainly not enough to justify being in love. That being said I have read the next 2 books in the series and I am now firmly in camp Ash.

More good than bad although I think Sans is pretty close with her assessment.

Didn't dislike her but didn't think she was special or out of the ordinary and her willingness to make deals without trying to find other options got old fast. I certainly couldn't see anything about her that would lead to either Puck or Ash falling in love with her.But then one of the problems I've always had with YA paranormal romance is the ancient faery/vampire or whatever falling for a 16 or 17 year old girl. Surely they would seem incredibly naive and immature to someone older than my grandfather.

I wont answer this one as I already know having read the next 2 books. I will say that the characters improve and the relationships became more believable to me.

message 17: by Jex (last edited Mar 30, 2011 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Having read only the first book in this series I firmly believe with what you said, Sandra, about the love interests in the story. Puck was unbelievable to me because he's such a well known literary figure and Ash just felt forced...the rebel from the opposing side...it must be meant to be right?

You said that the next books and relationships get better, do you think they're worth reading if I wasn't impressed very much by the first one? My biggest problem with the first book was how impersonal all the characters felt. I just didn't feel a connection to any of them and it made it hard to care what happened to them in the end.

Sandra | 27 comments Jex wrote: "Having read only the first book in this series I firmly believe with what you said, Sandra, about the love interests in the story. Puck was unbelievable to me because he's such a well known literar..."

Hi Jex
I enjoyed the next 2 books and would say definitely give book 2 a go. If you don't see the improvement by the end of that then I wouldn't bother with the rest.

message 19: by Jex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Thanks for the tip. I might check out the next one.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Jex, you and I are in the same boat. I'm going to attempt to read the second one, but wasn't really impressed by the first book. I was tired when I read it so I was hoping that is why I just couldn't get into it.

Ellen Marcolongo | 22 comments What do you think about Kagawa incorporating A Midsummer Night's Dream's characters into her book? Did you like it or not? Always love a book within a book.

Are you team Robbi/Puck or team Ash? Why? What did you like or dislike about them? Haven't decided yet but I think Ash really likes Meg.

What did you think of Grimalkin? Is he a good guy or bad guy? I think he's going to be bad.

Thoughts abut Meghan? Did you like her or did she have you shaking your head all the time because of her willingness to make a deal? I liked her. She seemed like a strong female lead-working with what she had.

Thoughts on how Meghan was compared to a cold beer? Yikes - how embarrassing. Kids can be cruel.

What do you think of what Puck did to Angie? Allowed the mean girl to have a taste of her own medicine.

What did you think about Meghan's Fae transformation? Like Alice in Wonderland.

Another Changeling
Thoughts about the Iron King? Still unsure

Thoughts about Oberon? Just wants to protect his daughter

What do you think will happen in the next book? Will you continue reading the series? I'm looking forward to reading book 2.