Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
This topic is about Shiver
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Stiefvater, Maggie - Shiver - March 2011 BOM

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana This topic is open for discussion of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Alicia Starting this! Not a very thick read - I may be able to finish the whole thing today! Anyone else reading it?

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I really liked the book and it was a quick read.

Samantha | 106 comments I was wait for this book so long. So I started and finished the same day. I liked it really liked it but sometimes it was kinda boring so I cant say it's great! but it's really good.Maybe I was waiting such a impressive book like VA but yes, it'S good especially if you're a werewolf fan :)

Alicia Hmmm, I'm one third in and I don't think this is the right book for me. I'm putting it aside for now.

message 6: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments It's definitely a YA book, but not every book is for everyone. Thank goodness there are so many others when one book doesn't make the grade for an individual. Sad it's not pulling you into the story. Let us know what you think when you finish. It'll be interesting to see if your opinion changes.

Amy J. | 686 comments I'm hoping to begin this book tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. It comes highly recommended by one of my friends.

message 8: by Amy J. (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy J. | 686 comments well, I started reading it this afternoon, and I'm now one page 100 and something. I'm not enjoying it very much. I don't like how the author is switching back and forth between Sam and Graces' perspectives.

I'll keep reading and hoping it gets better for me. I've heard so many good things about the series to stop so quickly.

Alicia Sorry to report that I did manage to finish but I had to give it one star. I didn't like any of the characters, didn't find their romance believable or engaging and didn't like the themes (I had to shelve it on my "not-so-feminist-themes" and "weak heroines" shelves). The writing did have a few pretty sections, but for me the absolute worst part about the writing was Sam's song lyrics. They made me crack up sooo bad. The author presented them like they were supposed to be all poetic and deep but for me they were laughably bad and embarrassing. At least they gave me giggles in the middle of all the angst, but I don't think the reader was supposed to be laughing in those sections, lol.

I find comparisons between Shiver and Twilight to be very weak because despite how you may feel about Twilight and despite what you may consider to be Twilight's flaws, Twilight does at least have a kind of intense chemistry between Bella and Edward. Sam and Grace had absolutely zero chemistry for me.

Amy J. | 686 comments I'm glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by his lyrics. They were painful and out of place. I stopped even looking at them about a third into the book.

Its funny that you should mention Twilight (I've not heard the comparisons before) but as I was reading it I thought the novel was trying to be Twilightesque but doing a bad job of it. I didn't feel there was any chemistry between Sam and Grace either.

I got so bored with the novel that I wanted to sit and read it until I was done, so that tomorrow I could read a better book during my lunch break.

Mandy (mandypants) I'm so glad other people are thinking what I am. I was really not a fan of this book at all. Anyone else find it disturbing that Grace was basically lusting after an animal before she realized it was Sam?

message 12: by Alicia (last edited Mar 02, 2011 09:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alicia Mandy wrote: "I'm so glad other people are thinking what I am. I was really not a fan of this book at all. Anyone else find it disturbing that Grace was basically lusting after an animal before she realized it w..."

Well, for me what was disturbing about that was more that she didn't really have any hobbies, interests, goals in life, aspirations, absentee family, no interest in school and she even viewed her relationships with her friends as some kind of annoyance or duty. Her only purpose in life and only interest was Sam, lol. That's not healthy. I can't stand it when the heroine's entire life revolves around a guy.

message 13: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 03, 2011 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, It's been over a year or so since I read Shiver and I'll need to look at those lyrics. I can't remember what I thought of them. It is ranked pretty high on the stars. I'm guessing this is one book you either love or hate?

Mandy, I didn't get the impression she lusted after an animal. I thought maybe she wanted to become a wolf, but it's been so long since I read the book I can't remember for sure. I think your thoughts are the kind that turn some people off to werewolf stories. Just out of curiosity, do you like werewolf stories? I have to say if I felt the main character lusted after an animal I'd be disturbed too.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Mandy, I hope I worded my previous question correctly, I just thought about it and wanted you to know I'm always curious about another person's perspective. I especially like seeing if I can related to the way another person sees things when I initially didn't or perhaps don't. While I liked Shiver I can totally see why each of you who didn't like it felt the way you did about it. Don't ask me why, but I find book discussion more fun when not everybody loves or hates a book. Keeps things interesting. :)

Alicia I have some more thought's on Grace's feelings for the wolves. I'm putting them in spoiler tags because it's kind of sensitive content and I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't wish to see it.

(view spoiler)

Amy J. | 686 comments It seems to me that any time you're reading paranormal, you can induce an ick factor if you try. Stories where people change to animals = bestiality. Stories with vampires = necrophilia.

Mandy (mandypants) With all the hype Shiver gets, I figure most people didn't get the ick factor that I did. That being said, I probably found it to be more amusing than disturbing. You know, “Ew.” Then bursting out laughing. :-) Actually, my amusement with it may have changed the way I interpreted scenes. I don’t know. I'm totally cool with werewolf stories. I think the difference here was that Grace had absolutely no inkling of Sam being a werewolf or that they even existed and was first drawn to the wolf, not Sam.

I wish I still had the book so I could quote ick instances. I do recall Grace going on and on about the wolf’s eyes and beauty. But, I think Alicia totally got it right with Grace’s fixation on the wolf. She only wanted to be around “her” wolf. She spent her time with her friends obsessing about the wolf, wondering what the wolf was doing, wanting to touch the wolf. No boys or friends, just wolf. I think if Grace had an idea that the wolf was a werewolf then any ick would have gone away.

Alicia totally also got it right about Grace’s character. No interests, no hobbies. Just blah. Oh, wait. She cooks. Yup. That’s her hobby. Cooking. *sigh*

message 18: by Alicia (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alicia Mandy wrote: "Oh, wait. She cooks. Yup. That’s her hobby. Cooking. *sigh* ..."

Oh dear, ever since reading about her cooking I've been absolutely dying to make a quiche but I'm all out of eggs! :( Although Grace put mayonnaise in her quiche which I thought was kind of bizarre - never seen a quiche recipe that calls for mayo before! Is it true what they say about americans puting mayo in everything? Lol.. I probably shouldn't judge though because my grandmother's traditional french-canadian quiches offend my vegetarian sensibilities by calling for lard and other various animals fats and pig products lol.

Mandy (mandypants) I've never seen a quiche recipe with mayo in it either. However, I have seen a chocolate cake recipe with mayo. It's supposed to be fantastic. There may be some Americans over using mayo, but this American doesn't. I've seen more obsessed with ketchup and peanut butter.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I knew a guy in college who put mayo on everything. he's the only person I have ever known with a mayo obsession. Ketchup obsessions are more common.

Jennifer Reeves (barefootdokusha) | 0 comments I put Mayo on my hamburgers, hotdogs, polish sausages.....I dislike mustard so I use mayo or Miracle Whip

Amy J. | 686 comments Yes, we all deserve rewards for persevering.

message 23: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Props to you, Dia! I didn't even make it halfway through.

message 24: by Rachel (last edited Mar 16, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Hmmm. Thought I commented here, but I guess not. So, here goes.

I was drawn to Shiver because of the cover. I am a sucker for trees and good cover art. A cover with good art and a tree...how could I NOT pick it up.

Inside, the text was written in blue and I thought that was really, really cool. The next book in the series, Linger and by the looks of it a lot of you might not read (and that's ok!) is in green. I am hoping the third book will be in red ink. More coolness!

Unlike some of you, I really enjoyed this novel. I don't know why, but I did. It has been awhile since I read it, but the things I remember are:

Grace looking outside and seeing Sam as a wolf and how she loved him so before she knew what he really was. I know for some this evokes the "ick" factor, but I think Grace was just intuitive. She knew that Sam could not be just a normal wolf...what wolf stands at the edge of the forest, watches you, and does not try to eat you when you come outside? Grace knew he was something more, even if it was not apparent at first. She feel in love with the human inside of the wolf, not just the wolf.

I always thing of this story not as a "wolf in sheeps clothing", but a "human in wolf's clothing".

message 25: by Tommie (last edited Mar 16, 2011 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tommie (tommiemarie) I agree with you, Rachel. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the cover art and the matching ink inside. It was like this nice little surprise to see blue ink in Shiver and green ink in Linger. I, like you, am hoping for red ink in Forever. It gives me happy little shivers just thinking about the beauty of the books.

I loved this book. I actually hugged it when I was done. It's been over a year since I read it but I still remember how I felt when I read it. I think part of what made it so great for me was the back and forth between Sam's and Grace's POV. There was a greater intensity for me by seeing their love grow from both perspectives.

I also thought Grace was very intuitive and just an unusual girl. She saw something in Sam long before she knew he was more than a wolf. And they had a connection from the day that he saved her. I think that there was enough "wolf" in her that the connection was more than it might be for just anyone who noticed the wolf at the edge of the forest. She felt something kindred in him - both as a wolf and as a boy. Their love started out as something instinctive long before they actually, truly fell into the love that they had at the end of the book.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Beautifully said, Tommie. I agree that their love started out instinctive. After all, wolves are creatures born of insticnt.

message 27: by Angela (last edited Mar 19, 2011 01:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments I really enjoyed this book. It was the perfect YA Paranormal Romance. The plot and werewolves were different than other books and I enjoyed that. This wasn’t a romance that was torn apart by miscommunication or another boy, this was absolutely perfect. I loved it and can’t wait to read Linger.

Here's my review with SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS:
Shiver is book one, in The Wolves of Mercy Falls Young Adult Series by Maggie Stiefvater.

This story is about Grace and Sam. Grace is a teenage girl who was attacked by wolves as a child. During the attack, she made a connection with a beautiful yellow-eyed wolf, who saved her from the other wolves. The pack left her with light scares and an obsession with her yellow-eyed wolf. Sam is that yellow-eyed wolf who is in turn, infatuated with the beautiful teenage girl he saved. They had a connection from the moment they met, and this connection continued to grow over time.

When a boy from school is allegedly killed by a wolf, the community decides to herd the wolves away from Mercy Falls. Unfortunately, some of the hunting crew is herding while the others are shooting to kill.
Grace risks her safety by running into the woods to tell the hunters that her friend is in the woods taking photographs. She hopes this will stop the hunters and they’ll retreat from the woods. While talking to a hunter, she hears a shot in the woods and sees blood on herself. She’s not bleeding, but she sees herself dying. In her confusion, she returns home to find her wolf in human form and bleeding to death on porch. Sam recovers at the hospital and they continue to spend every moment together.

Sam teaches Grace to listen to her wolf instincts and to take pleasure in her developed senses. Grace discovers that she was the only person to be bitten by a werewolf and not change. She looks into her past further and believes that her neglectful parents may have inadvertently saved her from becoming the wolf. When threatened by a new werewolf, Grace agrees to try and save the wolf with an injection to cause a fever to burn out the wolf transition. When Sam changes for the final time, she tries the drug on both Sam and the new werewolf. Sam in wolf form, flees during the injection and the new werewolf dies. Grace realizes she’s lost her love in boy and wolf form, never to be seen again. At the end of the book, Sam returns to Grace and they’re both surprised to see him standing on two legs in human skin.

Nairabell | 303 comments Tommie wrote: "I agree with you, Rachel. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the cover art and the matching ink inside. It was like this nice little surprise to see blue ink in Shiver and green ink in Linger. I, like you, am ..."

I totally agree with you guys - I loved Shiver....but you guys get coloured ink?!? No fair! In the UK our covers are black and white, and the type is just plain black. I do prefer our covers (I just like black and white covers), but no fair that we miss out on having coloured writing!

UK covers:
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I have always found it interesting that covers are different in Europe from those in the US. There must be a reason, but sometimes I do prefer the cover that isn't available to us. Too bad they don't let us choose.

Nairabell | 303 comments I tend to cheat if I prefer the other covers - you can sometimes get both US and UK versions over here so I'll pick the one I prefer. A lot of the time you can't get the US ones as soon as a UK publisher picks them up which is why a lot of my series change cover (and size) part way through.

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I prefer the UK covers also. Side note: I prefer Richelle Mead's international covers for almost all of her books. I wish I could collect them all.

Nairabell | 303 comments Zoe wrote: "I'm in love with the UK covers and if I ever go to England or something I would totally buy it"

They are gorgeous - and the trees are actually raised :)

Tommie (tommiemarie) The UK covers are beautiful. I would love to have both sets - US and UK. I love the books that much!

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments No colored ink? Blasphemy! I can't decide which covers I like better now. I really enjoy seeing different cover art for the same book. You should check out Kristin Cashore's blog and look at the pictures of her international copies. I love them all in different ways. Here is a link.

Cashore's Blog

message 35: by Bec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bec (_becandbooks) Just read this (has been on my TBR shelf for a while) and really didn't mind it.
It's one of those easy to read, not so heavy books that I always seem to be in the mood for. Although, I have to admit that Maggie has a talent at tugging at my heartstrings!
The rest of the series' books are definitely now on TBR shelf.

And loving the coloured ink!!! Such a good change!