Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Sing You Home...soon

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments I am excited the new book is being released on March 1! Any thoughts? My plan is to buy it and save it until the following week as I will be traveling.

This is from her web page:
SING YOU HOME explores what it means to be gay in today’s world, and how reproductive science has outstripped the legal system. Are embryos people or property? What challenges do same-sex couples face when it comes to marriage and adoption? What happens when religion and sexual orientation – two issues that are supposed to be justice-blind – enter the courtroom? And most importantly, what constitutes a “traditional family” in today’s day and age?

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 3 comments Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Oh did I tell you I just can't wait?

My friend who lives in New York is picking the books up for us at an appearance Jodi is giving there. Hopefully my book will be signed. I wish I lived close enough to go to hear all her talks when she has a new book. But I don't, so I have to wait until the book can arrive in the mail.

I previewed a song on the CD online and am looking forward to the CD coming with the book.This will be a new experience in reading and I am looking forward to it. I hope she has reading group questions in the book as well but she usually does.

Looking forward to all of your thoughts on the book after you read it.

Happy Reading
Lynne

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 20 comments I can't wait either. It sounds really good.

message 4: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Ughhhhhhhhhh...I am so frustrated! After realizing that I won't be able to go to Jodi's book signing in Chicago this year (I have made the trip the last 2 yrs) I went on Barnes and Noble.com and went ahead and ordered the book. Along with Kristin Hannah's upcoming Night Road. I wasn't paying very close attention apparently because when I ordered them (with my BN membership) didn't realize that KH's book doesn't come out until later in March. Now my order is scheduled to ship 3/22!!! Really? I have to wait almost a month??? Grrrrr...I get free shipping because of my membership and because of that you have to click that you want your order to ship together at one time (prob to save costs).

Need to pay attention!!!

message 5: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 83 comments Jodi actually will sign anyones books. Check out her website- she gives instructions on how to send books and things to her and she'll personalize and send them back to you as long as you pay for it all-figures, lol. It is a neat idea though.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (bookmish) | 2 comments Well I have the book, but will wait until this weekend to actually start to read it because I want no interruptions.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments I am waiting to buy it next week--if I buy it now, I will start reading it and then won't have a book to read on my 3 hour plane trip :)

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (3kidzmom) | 5 comments I downloaded it on the 1st and am almost done. I guess I'm disappointed. It's getting better towards the end, but to me it doesn't read like her other books. I don't love the characters and it hasn't hooked me like her other books. I've dealt with infertility and miscarriages so I thought I'd really like this book, but just not feeling it.

message 9: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments So is it about infertility, or is it about same-sex couples?

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 23 comments I'm about 100 pages in. I like it so far but often end up frustrated by her formula.

Britta-it's about all of the above. Fertility issues, rights to frozen embryos, gay rights, and evangelical Christians. My friends and I were laughing reading the description-she threw everything but the kitchen sink in this one! Oh, and there is a CD that goes along with this one-Jodi wrote the songs! It's all getting a bit ridiculous but of course I still ran out and bought it.

message 11: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (3kidzmom) | 5 comments I agree Joanie, it's a bit over the top. The CD was interesting, but I felt like it's a reach. I didn't really like the characters. I thought Zoe's profession was the most interesting thing about her. I liked Lucy, but felt disappointed with where she was left at the end. And don't even get me started on Libby. It just didn't seem like one of her regular books with characters that you believed in and rooted for.

message 12: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Well yesterday I got part of my order from BN. As I said last week, I ordered it but with 2 other items, one was a tote bag and the other is Kristin Hannah's new book Night Road. I didn't realize when I submitted the order that Kristin's book doesn't come out until 3/22 and with my free member shipping I had to opt to have it all shipped at once. So I have come to terms with all of this. But then yesterday the tote bag arrived...but not the book! Grrrr...it's only another 10 days away. At least I keep trying to convince myself of that! lol

message 13: by Glenda (new)

Glenda | 12 comments I have it but not sure when I'll get to it. Sounds interesting......

message 14: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 3 comments Congrats to a great author. Sing you home is listed number one this week on the Publishers Weekly Best Seller list.

message 15: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I just downloaded this one on my Kindle but have not started it yet. There have been a couple of her books where I did not like most of the characters. I am hoping to like this one anyway.

message 16: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 83 comments Dero- what characters did you like and which ones didn't you like?

message 17: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I did not like most of the characters in House Rules. I did not like the characters in Harvesting the Heart. I at least felt sympathetic to most of the characters in Nineteen Minutes and I liked most in Plain Truth.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 20 comments Just started this on my lunch break today finally. Already want to just read and I am only 50 pages in.

message 19: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I started this book yesterday and am already 100 pages in. I am enjoying the book. I think it is much better than House Rules was. I see a lot of people here don't like it but for right now I am enjoying it. It does seem there is a lot thrown into it though, but Picoult has had many books like that. I've listened to the CD, its ok but not that great. (I didn't even know there was one before I opened the book yesterday.) I thought the songs would actually be included in the story but that does not seem to be the case. Anyway, I am still approaching the book with an open mind and have already been sucked into the story.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments Christie: I was beginning to think I was strange as I enjoyed the book too. I read it on a long flight so I haven't had a chance to listen to the CD yet. Different than a couple of her recent books I liked all the moms in the book. When I read her books I often feel the book gives a glimpse of the dark part of the mom's soul and this time I didn't feel that way.

message 21: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) http://news.discovery.com/human/embry... this is an interesting article that was in my news feed today. I thought it might be an interesting read for those of us reading the book right now.

Anna: I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I also like the moms in this book, Dara especially. I'm glad. After reading most of Jodi Picoult's books I was beginning to think she must have had a horrible relationship with her mother because her moms were usually selfish or otherwise lacking.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments Christie: Thanks for the link. Reproductive technology is such a complicated area--I thought the book was pretty balanced on the topic.

message 23: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Started it on my lunch hour today and got about 75 pages read! Off to read...

message 24: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 83 comments So, to someone who hasn't read this book yet- would you guys recomend it? I saw it in the store yesterday and I was going to splurge and get it, but I remember seeing a few posts on here, saying the book wasn't all that great, and I'd hate to waste that much money on a book I may not like. Suggestions anyone? I may just check it out at the library and read it first, before purchasing.

message 25: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments OMG Ashlee...absolutely!!! But if the money is an issue, what about your local library? Or how about Barnes and Noble. It is probably 30% now since she is such a hot seller. Even if you don't have a local store you can order online (usually a little cheaper than even the BN store) and with a $25 purchase shipping is free. They are also usually quite quick.

message 26: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments And I am almost 300 pages into it and haven't started reading yet tonight...but I am getting ready to!!

message 27: by Thea (new)

Thea | 1 comments I'm already half way done with 'Sing you Home' and I'm still not so sure about the book. I feel like there are sooo many issues thrown into one book. And I thought the CD was terrible!

message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_337) | 6 comments I love this book. I managed to read it in 24 hours and I only looked slightly strange reading it in the dentists waiting room!! Jodi Picoult always seems to suck me in. I didn't listen to the CD until after I'd finished the book. Its okay, but I found the book fine without it. This was good but my fave Picoult is still Handle with Care.

message 29: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments Lol...Hannah! I read EVERYWHERE! I have even read at stop lights...in drive through lanes. I don't really care what other people think

message 30: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 36 comments I'm about 2/3rds through Sing You Home and am enjoying the book and the CD. I listened to the CD on my drive from Pittsburgh to here.Folk-songs are my favorite and reminiscent of my college years,so my response maybe a given here.Yes, I agree there are alot of issuses here,but I think Picoult is handling them well. I did feel that the Religious Right view point sounded a little insincere and stereotypical,but this is better than than nasty humorous responses that some authors use to describe this viewpoint. If you like Picoult, this is one of her better ones IMHO.

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Normally I love JP books but I just could not get into Sing You Home. Although, I was listening to the audiobook so maybe if I read the book instead. Has anyone else done both and seen a difference?

message 32: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 83 comments See, I'm a bit confused now...does the CD come with the book? has anyone just read the book without the CD or just read it with the CD? which one do you prefer? also, i see some mixed reviews so I'll ask this- has anyone read "A perfect Match" by Jodi Picoult? is this book anything like A perfect match? APM is the only book of hers I haven't cared for, so if Sing you Home is written sort of like that, I may just wait a while before purhcasing it, probably until the price goes down. Our library has a scarce collection of JP.

message 33: by Deana (new)

Deana Young (lovestoread1956) | 11 comments Ashlee wrote: "See, I'm a bit confused now...does the CD come with the book? has anyone just read the book without the CD or just read it with the CD? which one do you prefer? also, i see some mixed reviews so I'..."

Ashlee -- A CD of songs comes with the book, but I could have easily done without the CD. Was disappointed with it considering how talented JP is -- she is so prolific -- has written a comic book, play, novels, songs. I LOVED the book however. Enjoy your read with JP.

message 34: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 83 comments Thanks for replying Deana. I think I may put this book on the back burner for now, but I'll come back to it. :) The last book of hers I read was "My Sisters Keeper" it was so good! also, I want to read "Change of Heart" or whatever that title was, I heard it was phenomenal!

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments Ashlee: This book does have a court trial; however, not like Perfect Match. I would have to say (to me) it was her "happiest ending" yet books. I loaned it to a friend who also has a gay son (like JP) and she found the book to be balanced in the approach to sexual orientation. I would be curious of the viewpoint of a same-sex couple.

By the Way this is total different than Change of Heart which is somewhat similar to Perfect Match as it involves a child abuse.

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments Since Sing me Home delved into religion I was curious about JP's faith beliefs. I found this interesting interview:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandet...