SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
This topic is about Dead Until Dark
All Book Discussions > Dead Until Dark (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Here we can discuss the book with spoilers :)

Lauren Smith Seeing as I've already read this, I'll just jump in - it was shit. Allan Ball did this series a favour by turning it into a really cool TV show.

My review is here: http://violininavoid.wordpress.com/20...

message 3: by Claudia (last edited Feb 21, 2011 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Lies, Lauren. All lies. Don't listen to Lauren, she's just having a mean streak.

Just kidding. When I read the Sookie books I really wasn't looking for anything dark and scary. The light tone in which Charlaine Harris writes was a perfect read for me. If I were to read it again today, I probably won't like it as much.

Lauren Smith I admit I'm being a bit mean... but those books deserve it!

I didn't mind that it was light (although in my opinion it's just as violent as its screen counterpart; Harris's writing just isn't vivid enough). I just thought it was lame. And there was WAY too much romance. Have I mentioned how much I hate romance?

message 5: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I enjoy the Sookie Series :)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Whenever we stop at a secondhand store we should pick up a Mills & Boons for Lauren. :P

Lauren Smith Well, it's always good to have some scrap paper around to start a braai :D

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
lol

message 9: by Naz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol. My Aunt has a few Mills & Boons lying around, I'll post some to Lauren first thing in the morning.

I do however agree with her. The books were really badly written and in giving the author the benefit of the doubt I went for the second one (which I vaguely recall) and just didn't bother with watching the TV series after that.

Don't get me wrong I do like vamps and romance novels as much as any other girl (Lauren being the exception) but this was just horrible! All I can remember from either of the novels is Sookie's detailed bathing routine. Which, to be honest I could have done without.

message 10: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol I found the books fun and light, but yes a better editor is needed! Some sentences are just wrong, also they change one guys surname from one book to the other lol

I can't remember all the errors I picked up, but there were a lot!

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Feb 21, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lauren Smith I couldn't stand the way Harris ends almost every sentence with a bloody adverb. Drove me nuts. As did the beauty routine which Naz mentioned. I don't need to know about Sookie's decision to shave her legs tonight or put on a yellow cotton cardigan.

Don't dismiss True Blood because of the books though Naz; they're very different. True Blood also goes beyond Sookie's perspective and develops other themes and characters.

By the way, did anyone else find it odd the way Bill just disappears from the story before the killer is revealed and then pops back up as a sheriff?

message 12: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Sjoe let me think back... Nope can't really remember, I just know I was frustrated with Bill from the start.

Lauren Smith I can't recall why he leaves, but from my review I know it felt very odd, very out of place. It might be that he has some business to attend to or whatever. And then suddenly it's like "Oh yes, there's a serial killer plot! I totally forgot about that, what with Bill being so hot and all". And then (view spoiler) tries to kill Sookie, she ends up in hospital, and Bill re-emerges. And for some odd reason, he's now a sheriff (I think) because he suddenly decided to take an interest in vampire politics.

It really felt like Harris just wanted Bill out of the way for the climax of the serial killer plot.

message 14: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea she probably tried to get him out of the way for that

Heather Tribe (tribefox) This was my first vampire read since the Meyer series and I found it to be okay, meaning, it wasnt badly written or boring but also wasnt the "I've just got to get the next book in the series or I'll die" feeling either.
I do like the world that Harris has created; the vampire nightlife, how the humans and vampire's interact with each other.
What I mostly found lacking was that oftentimes there is a lack of intelligence about how Sookie uses her special gift, as though Harris couldnt be bothered to think it through. I didnt feel the energy or attraction between her and Bill.
That said, Dead Until Dark was still relatively enjoyable...keeping in mind it's subject matter and it's target audience.

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) This should fit into my genre of reading, but I really did not like it. I do have season 1-3 though which I plan to watch!

YA vamp fiction honestly usually trumps adult vamp fiction, although I have no idea why. Anyone read the Anita Blake novels? It goes batshit crazy.

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I only read the first Anita Blake book. but I didn't like it much. It gets better?

Claudine | 163 comments Most if not all newer Vamp stories are boring for me. Charlaine Harris writes atociously badly imo but I have the books sitting on the cistern of my toilet and whenever I go to the toilet to contemplate my future I grab one off the pile.

The books do not do justice to the tv series which I find is so much more and so much better than her vision in the books. I've read them all, bought them all and will probably get the last 3 (I read online somewhere she's planning on maybe 12 or 13 total in the series). They are light, quick and easy reads. I think I read the first 4 in 3 days.

Lauren Smith Hmm, the toilet does seem the ideal place to keep the Sookie novels. :D

I agree about True Blood. It's amazing the way the series writers have built on and improved Harris's stories and ideas. They turned mediocre books into great TV.

Claudine | 163 comments Well I think it was fairly easy to do, vamp stories are totally the in thing again since Twilight (which I still have not read as I could barely sit through the movie on Mnet a while ago). My favourite character in the series has to be Lafayette. I was sorry to see he was killed off in the first book.

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I love Pam in both the books and the series. I wish she had a bigger part though.

Lauren Smith Ooh, I love Pam too! Although I don't remember her in the books. Jessica's pretty cool too - is she in the books?

I don't think True Blood was necessarily that easy to create from the books - it add so much more to them, rather than simply adapting them for the screen. I also care about True Blood's characters, but in the novels they're one-dimensional and forgettable.

message 23: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I looooooveeee Eric!

Lauren Smith He's certainly easy on the eyes, but I find him a bit flat, in the book and the series.

Besides Pam and Jessica, I also like(d) Sam, Lafayette, Mary-Anne, Talbot, Russell Edgington. Jason's pretty funny too.
And in season 3 I'd have to give that good werewolf the prize for hottest male - he was just lovely.

message 25: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hehe he was definitely lovely!

Claudine | 163 comments Who doesn't like Eric :). He is very one dimensional in all of the books. I have yet to read Dead in the Family but I doubt if she will change his character.

Lauren I can't remember if Jessica is in the books at all.

I think what makes True Blood so much better than the books is that the writers of the series have taken the best elements out of each book and added more. They've twisted them up and changed how certain characters interact, for the better. Tara is one character that is always on the fringes of the story lines in the books but is a much fuller character in the series. I don't think she even features in the first few books.

message 27: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The series definitely kicks the books ass, but I still like both :)

message 28: by Debi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Debi (kohlii) | 27 comments Well this was my first Vamp novel - not really my thing but thought I would give it a go and I was bored stiff. I did not enjoy the writing and found it all over the place. It was a chore to finish it. Will not be trying any others in the near future!!!

Lauren Smith I agree that it was terrible Debi - awful writing, and she doesn't know how to tie her plot lines together. Book 2 is even worse in that respect.

Don't let that put you off vampire novels altogether though! I think this is a bad one to start with.

message 30: by Claudine (last edited Mar 11, 2011 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claudine | 163 comments Debi, start with Anne Rice's books, or the original Bram Stoker Dracula book. Charlaine Harris is an idiot in comparison.

The only reason I enjoy reading the True Blood series is because I crave light mindless entertainment between reading heavier books. It only takes a couple of hours to finish one of her books. I compare it to most American movie comedies vs Brit comedies. I enjoy Brit (Anne Rice for instance) over American (Charlaine Harris). Escapism at it's best ;)

Lauren have you read the rest? They don't get much better as far as plot lines.

Lauren Smith Hmm, Harris makes me cringe too much to enjoy it. And there isn't much suspense or excitement. Even the sex scenes were lame.

Claudine | 163 comments It's Mills & Boon cashing in on Twilight. And Twilight was just as awful :)

Lauren Smith Lol :)
Thinking of Mills and Boon and Twilight at the same time is making me nervous...

message 34: by Debi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Debi (kohlii) | 27 comments For light reading I normally do crime novels. I will give it a while and then try Anne Rice.

Lauren Smith When is season 4 of True Blood coming out?! The last one ended on like 6 huge cliffhangers.

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments June 12th in the US.
I wasn't paying much attention to the last few episodes. I'll have to go watch it again.

Lauren Smith June?! :(

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I know! There's almost nothing to watch right now. Every morning I get to my pc hoping some new interesting show has started, but nope. Only thing I'm watching right now is The Chicago Code. Perhaps I should re-watch True Blood. These 3 months better pass quickly!

Lauren Smith I think I need to stock up on new stuff. Will head over to that sci fi film thread for recs.

message 40: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I've been watching all 7 season's of Gilmore girls again! Also watching How I met your mother, big bang theory, vampire diaries 2 I should start soon too.

But hell nothing comes to True Blood :(

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
oh, I love big bang theory. My mum hates it, well not hates it but she doesn't understand all the references and I do, at least most of them and I love it.

message 42: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea its great! Did you see the episode where Sheldon has to smile but it makes him look so creepy?

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
As a matter of fact I saw that one today. It is my special hour watching tv. First there is two and a half men and than there is the big bang theory. It's all reruns but I can watch them endlessly. I love Sheldon and how he is so socialy inept. Especially his problems with sarcasm and other peoples feelings/moods.
But yes his smiling is very creepy. You wouldn't want to come across it in the middle of the night. You would scream your lungs out.

message 44: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea damn scary lol
Brilliant actor tho

Lauren Smith I need more Big Bang Theory! I've only seen season 1 :(
Lu?...

message 46: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hehe if you play your cards right :P

message 47: by Claudia (last edited Mar 16, 2011 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments You know the book of the month is not interesting when ... the thread ends with someone asking for Season 2 of Big Bang Theory.

message 48: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol - I atleast enjoyed the book :)

Lauren Smith Kahlan wrote: "You know the book of the month is not interesting when ... the thread ends with someone asking for Season 2 of Big Bang Theory."

Agreed! Hahahahahaha!

Claudine | 163 comments LOL! Very true Kahlan!