Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 2/21/11 What are you reading this President's Day Week?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annika (new)

Annika Happy President's Day! What are you reading this week? Would you read this author again?

message 2: by Annika (new)

Annika I just finished listening to Dirty Blond by Lisa Scottoline. It was a fun mystery. I always enjoy her books, so I will read/listen to more by her. I'm also still reading Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I'm enjoying it, just having a hard time focusing on reading these days.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I just started The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll. So far, so good! I'm planning to read the other 2 books in this triology.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments I'm reading The History of Love and struggling with it a bit actually. I'm hoping it will all make sense soon but I got lost a few character changes back.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments I finished The History of Love and I thought it was ok. I did struggle with some of the characters too, still not sure I really got it! Now I am reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz I just finished "The Wind-up Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi, which was the group read for the month at our library. That makes the third sci-fi read this year. I've enjoyed them, but I'm ready for a cozy mystery or something. But "History of Love" is finally in, so I guess it'll be my next read.

message 7: by Annika (new)

Annika Sara - I LOVED A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I read it for the first time a couple of years ago and just adored it.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I read A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN many, many years ago and still think of it as one of my all-time favorites. I'm not a person who rereads books, but that's one that might deserve a second time around!

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I'm finishing Buttercream Bump Off and then I'll start History of Love.

I haven't read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...yet.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments i just started the secret trial of robert e. lee - it is kind of presidential because the book starts out with Lincoln's presidency.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn which I read when I was younger.

I am going to try to get back on the wagon this week. My father-in-law passed away last Monday, and I haven't been reading much. I started Left Neglected, but I returned it to the library. I plan to start Pictures of You today.

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:59AM) (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I agree with everyone. I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn too---one of my favorite books! Now I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and next I'm going to start Maggie-Now which is also by Betty Smith.

message 13: by Sue J (new)

Sue J (Sue-J) | 54 comments I've just started 'The History of Love'.

I too loved 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' - read it a few years' back after it was recommended on the FL board.

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I am reading "A Lonely Death," the latest Ian Rutledge mystery, by Charles Todd. I am enjoying any and all diversions right now. I just wish I had more time for more of them.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Melissa, I adored MAGGIE-NOW also so, hopefully, you have another treat in store. These two books bring back wonderful memories of my high school best friend and me devouring all the Betty Smith books at the same time. (She also wrote JOY IN THE MORNING, which I liked, but it was my least favorite of the three.)

Carol, I'm so sorry about your father-in-law and hope all of you are doing alright. Hopefully you'll be able to immerse yourself in PICTURES OF YOU. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. I'll be reading it soon, myself. Hopefully, you'll also be able to get LEFT NEGLECTED back again soon. That's another one I'm looking forward to in the next few weeks.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I could see how now would not be the time for Left Neglect. Maybe you'll pick it up later.

message 17: by Sue J (new)

Sue J (Sue-J) | 54 comments Condolences to you and your family Carol on the death of your father-in-law.

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika Oh Carol - I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. Sending virtual (((HUGS))) your way.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I am reading this A-MAZING book called The Passage by Justin Cronin. Am about halfway through and cannot put it down. Can't recommend it enough! I most definitely will read others by him. :D

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments Carol wrote: "I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn which I read when I was younger.

I am going to try to get back on the wagon this week. My father-in-law passed away last Monday, and I haven't been r..."

Carol, I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. I will be thinking of you and praying for your family!

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments I love A Tree Grows In Brooklyn too! This is my second time reading it, and I think I like it more this time!! It's for my LBC and I am can't wait to see what everyone else thinks next Monday!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Carol wrote: "I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn which I read when I was younger.

I am going to try to get back on the wagon this week. My father-in-law passed away last Monday, and I haven't been r..."

Carol, my condolences to you and your family.

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments Carol
I am sorry about your FIL.

I started A Reliable Wife last night

message 24: by Annika (new)

Annika Caroline wrote: "I am reading this A-MAZING book called The Passage by Justin Cronin. Am about halfway through and cannot put it down. Can't recommend it enough! I most definitely will read others by..."

Caroline - I read The Passage last summer and just loved it. Can't wait for the next one!

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Carol,

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father-in-law.

My thoughts and sympathy.

Laurel

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Thanks everyone for your kind words.