The History Book Club discussion

ROMAN EMPIRE -THE HISTORY... > 3. HF - THE GRASS CROWN - CHAPTER III (241 - 288 ) (02/21/11 - 02/27/11) ~ No spoilers, please

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the historical fiction discussion of THE GRASS CROWN
by Colleen McCullough.

This is the reading assignment for week three - (February 21st to February 27th, 2011)

Week 3 - Feb 21-27: Chapter III, pp. 241 – 288

This is the sixth historical fiction group selected book.

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers if you are catching up.

This book was kicked off on February 7th.

This discussion is being led by assisting moderator for The Grass Crown - Vicki Cline. This is her first venture in moderating an historical fiction book and she is very excited to be doing this. Please support her in this effort.

We always enjoy the participation of all group members. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, but this is not available on Kindle or audible.

This thread opens up Monday, February 21st for discussion. This is a non spoiler thread.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Please feel free to research the complete Table of Contents and Syllabus on this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome, #2) by Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough Colleen McCullough

message 2: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3822 comments Mod
Sulla has enjoyed his year as praetor urbanus and has especially enjoyed spending time with his son, now about 12 years old. Unfortunately he couldn’t get a good provincial assignment (he needs money badly). Luckily, Mithridates was acting up in Cappadocia again, so Sulla was sent to Cilicia, and took his son with him. He has some Cilician troops trained in the Roman way and takes them to Cappadocia. When he meets Mithridates, the latter is stunned at how much Sulla looks like Apollo, and he leaves for Pontus when Sulla tells him to.

Sulla decides he’d better meet King Tigranes of Armenia, Mithridates’ son-in-law. He crosses the Euphrates and meets Tigranes on the Tigris, warns him away from interfering beyond the Euphrates and leaves. Tigranes and some envoys from the Parthian king follow him; they have a parley where a Parthian soothsayer declares Sulla to be the greatest man in the world. A treaty between Rome and Parthia is concluded with the Euphrates as the border between their spheres of influence. Sulla goes home with much gold, gifts from the various rulers in the area.

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I get a sense in the beginning of this section Sulla is becoming more isolated socially. His son seems to be his anchor and the rest of the world, be darned.

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
I think his son is the one thing that he loves purely.

message 5: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

You may be right, Bryan, especially with Aurelia currently off-limits. But I'm always glad when Sulla has something important he can sink his teeth into, like meeting Mithridates and Tigranes and the Parthian envoys. He's really only been dangerous so far when he gets bored (or maybe I'm just prejudiced in his favor).

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I agree, Vicki, he needs something to do, and he seemed to be enjoying his "reconnaissance" trip out East.

I was a little surprised by Mithridates' response to Sulla, but I think he was wise to back down and wait. I like his strategy about having Rome be distracted when he finally strikes.

message 7: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

I loved the introduction to young Cicero. From everything I've read about him, I can believe that's how he was as a young teen.

message 8: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Going back to Sulla's son. It is interesting to read that he did not tell his son about the gold coins and keeps him at a distance when he talks to the Parthia king. I get a sense Marius got Sulla more involved when he was tutoring him. Could it be a trust issue??

message 9: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Well, Sulla's son is still pretty young - I don't think he's even put on the toga virilis which boys get when they reach the age of manhood (variously listed as 14, 15 or 16). I think he wants to ease him into political life. Plus, Sulla was already pretty old when he was Marius' subordinate.

message 10: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Vicki wrote: "Well, Sulla's son is still pretty young - I don't think he's even put on the toga virilis which boys get when they reach the age of manhood (variously listed as 14, 15 or 16). I think he wants to ..."

Good point, Vicki, I think he was only in his teens. Sulla was an adult and could be involved in a lot more activities. It does provide good training for young Sulla, though.

message 11: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

I kind of wish Sulla hadn't been told by the Parthian soothsayer that he is the greatest man in the world. I fear it will lead him to unwise actions. I have to admit, I like him even though he's done many horrid things.

message 12: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig And it parallels Marius' prophecy as well. It does make things interesting when Sulla acts on his anger and ambition.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Grass Crown (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Colleen McCullough (other topics)