Books on the Nightstand discussion

BOTNS Retreat, Apr. 8-10, 2011 > Early arrival? Post here

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
We are firming up the schedule of activities, and I'd like to get an idea of who will be in town on Friday afternoon. We may have some type of informal discussion session on Friday before the kickoff, depending on who is around and if there is interest.

If you will be arriving into Manchester VT (note: not the airport, but actually in town) prior to 2pm Friday 4/8, please post here, and let us know if you'd be interested in a discussion session, or would prefer to get steeled in, wander on your own, etc.

Thanks.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Our flight is scheduled into Albany at 11:30 so depending on the traffic I *might* be in Manchester by 2 and would love to participate in a discussion.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be around all day Friday (though I'll probably sleep off the jet lag in the morning!) so I'll be up for anything :-)

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenf) | 66 comments I will be there Friday afternoon, arriving with Suzanne (and maybe others (Nancy?)--I'll let Suzanne confirm). I think we can make it to Manchester by 2 pm or close to it. Karen

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Well, I'm here. Where is everyone?

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2766 comments Mod
We are driving from Ohio and not sure what time we will arrive. Plan is to start out Thursday night (after meeting Sara Gruen in Springfield). I don't want to miss anything - but may need to catch some sleep.

message 7: by Ann (new)

You're driving??!! Very cool. I love road trips!

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Next time, maybe I'll have Linda pick me up on the way and save some money on transportation.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 59 comments We are flying in on Thursday night so we'll be ready do something by 2:00.

message 10: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I will be driving from MA with my husband, we should be there by 2.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Eric wrote: "Next time, maybe I'll have Linda pick me up on the way and save some money on transportation."

I'll be there, Eric!

message 12: by Ann (new)

ERic, are you coming??? Because I thought you couldn't, even though we really really want you there.

We just had a cancellation, so there's literally room at The Inn.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Hmmm...I'd really like to, but I don't know if I can justify a solo trip this year.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Eric,

We will pick you up!

message 15: by Joanne-in-Canada (new)

Joanne-in-Canada (inkling_jo) | 255 comments I will be driving from Ontario on Friday and should arrive by 2. It all depends on the weather and how many times I stop in places such as the Ausable Chasm, book stores and bakeries.

Ann, could you give us a rough idea when events are planned and when there is free time? A discussion sounds interesting, and I want to wander around. I just want to do everything...

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 555 comments Mod
Driving from CT and could be there if there is something going on. Let me know.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul (pdmalt) | 44 comments I can be there by two if there is an activity planned. Can't wait!

message 18: by Ann (new)

More details soon!

message 19: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Karen wrote: "I will be there Friday afternoon, arriving with Suzanne (and maybe others (Nancy?)--I'll let Suzanne confirm). I think we can make it to Manchester by 2 pm or close to it. Karen"

message 20: by Ann (new)

It's on! As you probably saw fromt he schedule, we don't know quite yet what the topic will be (or if there will even be a topic), but let's gather from 3 to 4 or 4:30ish at The Inn. If you get in Fri. afternoon and want to join us, you're welcome!

message 21: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Yes, I'll be there and Suzanne and Karen, I'm still planning to drive with you from Albany. My flight arrives at 10:10 am.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

nancy wrote: "Yes, I'll be there and Suzanne and Karen, I'm still planning to drive with you from Albany. My flight arrives at 10:10 am."

Nancy, we get in at 11:30 -- hopefully we won't arrive late so you won't have to wait too long!
(ps I just responded to your e-mail too)

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Hi, Ann,
Helen Barnett from Washington state here.. Will be around all Friday... Also, can not regester for events as I will be enroute home and not have availability to a computer..darn.. Will just have to wing it I guess.. Hopefully some time late on Thursday I will be able to get on and check out what's happening.. See you'll soon!

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Hello Ann, Elizabeth from St. Louis.

My friend Maureen and I will be arriving at Albany on Thursday evening, staying at Palmer House, so we'll be around all day on Friday. Planning on coming to all the kick-off stuff on Friday afternoon. Yay!

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Hi Ann and the gang of Retreaters..
I arrived home in time to register for everything.. Yea ha.. April is coming!!!!

message 26: by Ann (new)

Looks like we're going to have a great group for an early discussion -- right now about 30 -- and it will give us a ncie test-drive of the event space at the Inn. I'm mulling over some topics, and am leaning strongly to a particular one.

Do you think that it would be good to send out the topic in advance, or just start it at the gathering? It's nothing that would require any advance preparation or homework...

message 27: by Carol (new)

Surprise us!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 59 comments Ann wrote: "Looks like we're going to have a great group for an early discussion -- right now about 30 -- and it will give us a ncie test-drive of the event space at the Inn. I'm mulling over some topics, and ..."

I think you should surprise us. That's one more thing to look forward to.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Yep, I vote surprise us, also!

message 30: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments I love surprises plus this will be good " getting to know you time"

message 31: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Who's up for breakfast on the Saturday morning of the retreat? Let me know and we can figure out a location.

Jeff

message 32: by Ann (new)

One place that is particularly "famous" for their breakfasts is UP FOR BREAKFAST, just a very short stroll from the bookstore. I haven't tried it since the Inn at Manchester does a delicious b'fast for guests, but I've always wanted to.

message 33: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Hi Ann,
I'll be coming in Friday with Suzanne, Karen and Mark (a true BOTNS
strangers meeting in the airport..kind of like a movie, huh?)
--what time is the "gathering" at the Inn and do we need to
make dinner plans?
Thanks,
Nancy

message 34: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments UP FOR BREAKFAST sounds great. If anyone wants to meet for breakfast, respond here or send me a message via Goodreads.

Jeff

message 35: by Ann (new)

Early arrivals discussion is ar 3.
Kick iff gathering us at 6.
Dinner us on your own -- i hope several small groups of new friends form spontaneously.

message 36: by Joanne-in-Canada (new)

Joanne-in-Canada (inkling_jo) | 255 comments Ann wrote: "Early arrivals discussion is ar 3.
Kick iff gathering us at 6.
Dinner us on your own."

Ooh, cool--BOTNS retreat lingo! Looking forward to the kick-iff! ;-]
Are you by any chance overwhelmed, Ann?

message 37: by Ann (new)

i blame that on my iphone, but, uh, yes.

message 38: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Jeff wrote: "UP FOR BREAKFAST sounds great. If anyone wants to meet for breakfast, respond here or send me a message via Goodreads.

Jeff"

I might be available for this. can I tell you Friday nite after I've arrived?

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments Jeff wrote: "UP FOR BREAKFAST sounds great. If anyone wants to meet for breakfast, respond here or send me a message via Goodreads.

Jeff"

I'm not attending the retreat but just wanted to say that Up for Breakfast is my all time favorite place for breakfast - and I love breakfast! Don't miss it!

message 40: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Victoria, that's great to know! I'm a breakfast fan too. Can't wait.

message 41: by Linda (new)

Made it to Erie, PA last night - will be on the road very shortly. Might not make it by 3, but I'm still hoping so. I don't want to miss a thing. Don't worry, I understand safety comes before speed.

message 42: by Ann (new)

Be safe, Linda; we'll catch you up whenever you get here!

message 43: by Linda (new)

At Oneida NY service plaza. Being safe. ETA 5:30-6 p.m.

message 44: by Carol (new)

So nice to meet all of you finally! and to book talk. What a great night. Looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

message 45: by Ann (new)

Glad everyone arrived safely!