SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I started this thread as although I dont enjoy reading many sci-fi books, I do enjoy watching Sci fi, and it was nice to find out that I am not alone. Barbara is also a bit of a trekkie. Here we can discuss various Sci fi movies or tv series.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I am currently watching BSG (Battlestar Galactica) Only on Season 2 at the moment but enjoying it so far. I am also interested in the prequel series Caprica. Have any of you watched this series and did you enjoy it?

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
You could say I'm bit of a trekkie. You could also say I'm a lot of a trekkie. I'm going to my fourth convention this year and have a Star Trek collection that is worth about 35.ooo euro's. I do not no what that is in South African money but I'll bet it's a lot.
I own it the prequel series Caprica, but I haven't watched it yet. I own the whole series of Battlestar Gallectica but I have seen only part of it. I'm planning the watch the first season of Stargate Universe first.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Holy shit... At the moment the exchange rate for the euro is almost R10
That collection could buy you a great car or a flat!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Lauren, language!!!
You started twice now today with less than lady like language :) Once in a private message to me and now here. What's going on?

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I did? Will go check...
But really, I swear like a sailor, it's just that in some places I manage to behave myself :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Took a quick look - "bugger" doesn't count as swearing! :)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

In our parts of the world it does. At the very leastit is something you say when you want to swear but don't at the very last minute.
But hey I'm not really complaining. If you're allowed to swear so am I and I don't have to be nice and lady like anymore :)
But back to the science fiction. Anyone any great recommendations to watch a great SF movie or series?

message 9: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Moon was an excellent and underrated sci-fi movie with quite impressive acting from the cast.

As for series. I found "Defying Gravity" quite interesting, but sadly it got killed before it could really get going.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

I have that all the time. When I like a series it either goes for like 10 seasons and gets all these spin offs and stuff or it gets cancelled in its first season. But thanks for the recommendations, I will look out for them.

message 11: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I like light-hearted sci-fi shows that don't take themselves too seriously. Like Warehouse 13. =)

message 12: by Crusader (new)

Ooh, yeah I also like Warehouse 13. Only started watching it a couple of months ago.

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I can't contribute much to this conversation, except that I loved Starship Troopers!

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:38AM) (new)

I watched a part of an episode of Warehouse 13 and couldn't be bothered to return to it after the commercial break. Maybe it was the wrong episode to start with. I'll give it another chance.

Lu I love your contribution, even though you said you can't contribute much:)

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Ooooh and V, on season 2 atm :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I like sci fi so I don't know why I haven't watched any of these series, including Star Trek. But then again I was a bit of a latecomer to the sci fi scene.

I've got a few favourite sci fi films though:
Alien 1 and 4
V for Vendetta
The Fifth Element
Resident Evil 1
28 Days Later
Solaris
The Prestige
Pitch Black
Watchmen

message 17: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Defying Gravity felt too much like Grey's Anatomy in space. After 3 episodes I had to give up. Maybe I just missed the point.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Now I'm intrigued!

message 19: by Crusader (new)

I only really started liking Warehouse 13 after Claudia got thrown into the mix, in episode 4 of the first season.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments There was also another tv series which I want to watch but it also got cut, very strange seeing as it had a great following. It was called Firefly and has some great reviews.

message 21: by Crusader (new)

Firefly was great if you aren't to adverse to "Cowboys in space". It's got cult status, with the lead actor recently saying that if he won the lotto he would buy the rights to Firefly and continue the series.

message 22: by Claudia (last edited Feb 21, 2011 10:00AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I heard they were going to continue Firefly. Was it just a prank?

Edit: Oh, I read wrong - they are just airing it again.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

I loved Firefly and Serenity!!!!
But like I said I loved it and so it got cancelled during the first season.

message 24: by Crusader (new)

Kahlan wrote: "Defying Gravity felt too much like Grey's Anatomy in space. After 3 episodes I had to give up. Maybe I just missed the point."

It was actually promoted as Grey's Anatomy in space. ;) However it really only got interesting near to the end when the effects of the "artifact" started to become apparent and when you realized what it was and what the whole mission was about.