What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Short story collection, one story had a woman who listened to mozart on a bus

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (last edited Mar 02, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

Natalie | 4 comments This is a short story collection that was probably released sometime within the last ten years. Most of the stories, if I remember correctly, involved a relatively neurotic/anxious middle aged caucasion woman.
In one story she may have listened to Mozart on a bus to drown out the noise/chaos around her.
In another/the same story she lamented the fact that workman who were doing some renovations to her home completed a beautiful job on some wood work, but then hastily/lazily/indifferently covered up an accidental scratch.
One story may have included a visit to a dentist.
I think the slim HC had a pale green and white DJ, but I'm not sure.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments See if its one of the stories on this list: http://www.helium.com/items/322461-sh...

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments Pam wrote: "See if its one of the stories on this list: http://www.helium.com/items/322461-sh..."

No, it is not. Thanks anyway.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments ...on a side note: have you read the short stories of Alice Munro... you might enjoy her.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Henson | 8 comments I read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwater which has elements of your description above.. but it's a novel, not a collection of short stories.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments I'm certain it is not a Munro book. The only thing I've read of hers is the Open Secrets collection, but I was so young when I read it and the content seemed so oblique to me and removed from my experience that I reserved judgment.
The only thing which might have been hers that I still recall was a story that I read either in that collection or in the New Yorker about a woman looking with her children for a childhood landmark, getting lost in her car, asking for directions in some desolate location, and being surrounded by men who she approached for help. For some reason, that story, although uneventful, seemed very visceral to me. Ironically, I do not remember its name.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 4 comments And its not an Atwood book, if that's who you meant. I would definitely remember her. But thanks for your persistence.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Bump.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Natalie, are you still looking for this?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Natalie, are you still looking for this?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.