Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Bibliographies/Shopping Lists > Dystopia/Post-Apocalyptic Books

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (last edited Feb 20, 2011 11:11PM) (new)

Linda I really like this kind of story. Here are some I've read and enjoyed:
The Giver trilogy by Lois Lowry
The Hunger Games (only read the first one so far)
The Uglies series
Never Let Me Go
Fahrenheit 451
The Handmaid's Tale
Player Piano (K. Vonnegut)
A Clockwork Orange

On my "Soon-to-Read" list:
Brave New World
Catching Fire
The Road
On the Road
(I get these last two mixed up in my mind all the time!)

Open to other suggestions

message 2: by Regina (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:26AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) I love dystopia and post-apocalyptic books too. I have read all of the ones you listed, with the exception of a few and they are on my lists of to read.

Here are some I have read or plan to read (that aren't on your list).

The ones I have read:
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Blindness by José Saramago The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1) by David H. Burton The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews (urban fantasy, a series of 5 books, but it takes place in a post-apocalypic world) The Plague by Albert Camus

Ones I plan to read:
Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry Messenger (The Giver, #3) by Lois Lowry (#2 and3 to the Giver)
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (story concurrent to Oryx and Crake) Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning #1) by Ellen Connor Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield Far North by Marcel Theroux The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver The Strain (The Strain, #1) by Guillermo Del Toro The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (citereh) Linda wrote: "I really like this kind of story. Here are some I've read and enjoyed:
The Giver trilogy by Lois Lowry
The Hunger Games (only read the first one so far)
The Uglies series
Never Let Me Go
Fahre..."

I love this genre and enjoyed most of the books you listed. I can also recommend
The Stand
Alas, Babylon
Earth Abides
One Second After
World Made By Hand
Lucifer's Hammer
The Last Town on Earth
Into the Forest

message 4: by CD (new)

CD  | 170 comments A little known but an intriguing fun twist on this topic is The sheriff of Purgatory.

Another book that falls across numerous genre's and certainly lands smack in the middle of a post disaster world is Time Storm. SciFi classic work of life after annihilation of most of humanity from time run amok.

One that should be on everyone's list is of course,
On the Beach, Nevil Shute's story of the final days of the few remaining people left after the missiles flew.

Finally, and this is truly a 'finally' type of book from the depth of the Cold War Paranoia is Mordecai Roshwald's unique book-

Level 7

from the final words of Officer X-127
"I do not think I can write anymore. . . "

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (citereh) Yes, I forgot Level 7! I read that years and years ago. On the Beach is on my shelf but I have not yet read it. A few more I have not yet read, but were recommended to me are;

Malevil
A Gift Upon the Shore
No Blade of Grass (hard to find)
The Postman
Doomsday Morning

message 6: by Lacie (new)

Lacie O'Bryant | 31 comments This is my current favorite genre, having devoured The Hunger Games trilogy in just a few days. Try:

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

I'm still working my way around this genre, but I absolutely LOVE The Hunger Games trilogy, it defo sold me on the post-apocolyptic awesomeness.

message 7: by Charles D (new)

Charles D Hartik (chalex) | 2 comments I've authored a dystopian science fiction novel, Strander, due to my concern over the cascade of worse case scenarios within Earth's ecosystem.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Like Lacie, I also love the Hunger Games and just finished Catching Fire; looking forward to the third, and also anticipating the upcoming film!
BTW, I'm almost 50 yo and still love "young adult" fiction!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Hatler (susanhatler) | 4 comments I can't believe I STILL need to read The Hunger Games. I'm reading How To Be Popular by Meg Cabot right now. I found the authographed hardback in a box!

message 10: by Phil On The Hill (new)

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) What about:
A Canticle for Leibowitz
I am Legend
Damnation Alley
Lots of earlier J G Ballard: The Drought, The Wind Fron Nowhere, Crystal World etc.

message 11: by Raindog (new)

Raindog | 4 comments The Passage by Justin Cronin

Engrossing read... one of the few books I've read recently which has kept my attention during reading pauses. Drat work. :-)

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 7 comments I love both the Hunger Games and Uglies series. I'd also recommend two juvenile fiction series (I find the juvenile fiction areas excellent and full of hidden gems) - the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix (one of my all-time favorite juvenile fiction authors) and the Ember Series by Jeanne DuPrau (the first book was made into a movie a while back.)

I love this genre, as well, so I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Raindog wrote: "The Passage by Justin Cronin

Engrossing read... one of the few books I've read recently which has kept my attention during reading pauses. Drat work. :-)"

I really enjoyed The Passage also. I am impatiently awaiting the second in this trilogy.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Matched by Ally Condie is a good one (going to be a trilogy)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments A great YA series is The Gone series by Michael Grant. Book one is Gone, book two is Hunger,book three is Lies and book four is coming in April. It is called Plague.

message 16: by Lacie (new)

Lacie O'Bryant | 31 comments You guys should all give Darkness Becomes her (Kelly Keaton) a try, it's not super well known yet because she's still pretty new, but I thought it was pretty great!

message 17: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 25 comments Jennifer wrote: "A great YA series is The Gone series by Michael Grant. Book one is Gone, book two is Hunger,book three is Lies and book four is coming in April. It is called Plague."

Nice mention! I liked these books too. I have yet to read Lies, but it's nearly next in line.

message 18: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 25 comments Shay wrote: "Raindog wrote: "The Passage by Justin Cronin

Engrossing read... one of the few books I've read recently which has kept my attention during reading pauses. Drat..."

You and me both! This one really exceeded my expectations.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments I ordered Plague, should be in next week. Cannot wait.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) I recommend Battle Royale. Awesome Japanese story that is, in my opinion, better than the Hunger Games.

message 21: by Ron (new)

Ron Feasel (ronfeasel) | 53 comments Recommending good books is a way to help us authors!

message 22: by Laurie (last edited Apr 06, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Two of my favorites are Naming of Parts & The Death of Grass. The Death of Grass is hard to find. I tracked down an online version and had to read it on my computer screen. It hurt the eyes but was worth it. Naming of Parts is also a bit hard to find but it is included in an easier to locate anthology called Fears Unnamed

message 23: by Ron (new)

Ron Feasel (ronfeasel) | 53 comments This site is great for sharing good reads.

message 24: by Casaubon (new)

Casaubon (hadrian_gr) There Will Come Soft Rains (Tale Blazers) by Ray Bradbury is one of my favorites that has not yet been mentioned.

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imsophiedavies) Amanda Pearl wrote: "I recommend Battle Royale. Awesome Japanese story that is, in my opinion, better than the Hunger Games."

Oh I really enjoyed this book!

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 9 comments The Three by Meghan O'Brien is a really good Post-Apocalyptic book. It does have some F/F interaction, so be aware.

Also loved Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien . YA book.

message 27: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 43 comments Oooh, Post-apocalyptic and dystopian, y'all are my kind of people.

I know you've mostly been talking about novels, but I finished Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories and thought it was an excellent anthology.

On the post-apocalyptic anthology side I offer Beyond Armageddon (which has some great stories although it's now dated) and Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse.

On the novel side many of the books that have already been suggested are quite good. I would add:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War which is a zombie novel but also one of the best books I've ever read and if you count the zombie apocalypse it fits.

The Rift, technically natural disaster rather than apocalypse but the scale of destruction is so great I put it in that category.

Summer of the Apocalypse takes place during and a couple generations after the apocalypse.

Warday surprisingly prescient book about taking a trip through America in the aftermath of a nuclear war. It was written in the mid 1980's but there's a lot of stuff about how an EMP would cause damage and that was before we were doing everything electronically.

Without Warning a massive wave of energy cuts off most of North America. First in a series.

Directive 51 a cult destroys most of civilization. First in a series.

American Apocalypse a somewhat paranoid story about the economic collapse except the collapse was much worse. Be sure to get the edited version. I've heard book two falls off a cliff but I haven't read it yet.

message 28: by Viv (last edited Jun 23, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Viv (a_pocky_box) Amanda Pearl wrote: "I recommend Battle Royale. Awesome Japanese story that is, in my opinion, better than the Hunger Games."

I've been wanting to read that one for awhile now. I did watch the movies to Battle Royale. Pretty bloody stuff but still good.

Another book along the lines of the Hunger Games is Divergent by Veronica Roth (It's going to be a trilogy). It's also one of my favorites.

message 29: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I recently bought The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan not knowing much about it, except that it looks awesome and it's dystopian.

message 30: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Sophie wrote: "Amanda Pearl wrote: "I recommend Battle Royale. Awesome Japanese story that is, in my opinion, better than the Hunger Games."

Oh I really enjoyed this book!"

Me too.