Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Authors > Stieg Larsson

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) Yes it took me like two months to make it through book one. That book bored the pants off of me but I refused to let it beat me. Now I like several authors that you guys loath so I can handle odd books. I tried to watch the movie. It was like rereading the book again. I turned it off and yelled once was too much.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 10 comments One of those cases when everyone likes it is not a recommendation! Cartoon characters involved in gratuitous violence.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk I'm not sure what was more of a problem ... the author or the translator. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo started slowly, but got more interesting as you went on.

message 4: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) | 20 comments There were moments in the book were I felt that the translation wasn't perfect. Those moments were few in between and were usually just odd wording situations.

The real problem with it is the writing, the characters, the everything. The author tried so hard to not allow anything to happen. Like, he just wanted there to be no character development. No real relationships. Just random, out of place and out of mind moments were there seems like something is going to happen, something is going to develop. Something..

Honestly, you will solve the mystery in this book before the lead character does. Not to say they are simple but really...

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 10 comments As I said, cartoon characters in impossible situations.

message 6: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) | 20 comments I wouldn't even call it an impossible situation. Cartoon characters with a a "dash" of sexual perversion that try and solve a basic mercedes lackey inspired mystery.

/I honestly wondered if ML was published in Sweden because that's what this book reminded me of.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 10 comments I'd never heard of basic mercedes lackey inspired mystery -- but 10 seconds on the Internet informs me enough to say ugh! Which reminds me, I am loathing WALKING INTO MURDER (The Professor Laura Morland Mystery Series) Lambert, Joan Dahr: Nancy Drew goes walking in the Cotswolds. Be warned.

message 8: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) | 20 comments I laughed so hard at that. Nancy Drew goes into the Cotswolds? But then I realized I have never read a Nancy Drew book! But, I know of those books.

Allow me to avoid Walking Into Murder.

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 84 comments Stieg Larsson kind of baffles me. I can't say he's a great writer and the first 30-50 or so pages of Dragon Tattoo were mind numbing. Nevertheless, I really liked the book (Apple ads, author's wish fulfillment and all.) It's not great literature but it was an absorbing read and Lisbeth was an unforgettable character. I didn't like the second one as much. I expect I'll break down and read the third one at some point but I'm not anxious to.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate his guts for a completely unfair reason. Cause he's everywhere. and that's about it. I haven't even read him. I also hate the stupid title "girl with the dragon tattoo." I'm a girl with a dragon tattoo and was under the distinct impression that me and my tattoo are a dime a dozen. Didn't realize that was such a special, edgy thing lol. ooh dragon tattoo how badass lol. Yes I know I'm being unfair because I haven't bothered to read him. Just explaining why I hate him already, so it's very unlikely I WILL read him. Such things as stupid titles are relevant, as they influence one's decision to read or not to read, don't u think? peace out...

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 84 comments No, I totally get it. His omnipresence is one of the reasons I haven't rushed out to read #3 (well, plus I hear that it's kind of draggy.) I read Dragon Tattoo over a year ago before everything really hit the fan or I likely would have avoided it too.

The Swedish title of the book was "Men Who Hate Women" which the publisher changed for the English version because they (rightly) thought it sounded like a self help book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL I might've picked it up if it were called that lmao

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL! The original name was the Girl Who Hated Men and they changed it to Dragon Thingy. :) Would that have helped Millo?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Sonia wrote: "LOL! The original name was the Girl Who Hated Men and they changed it to Dragon Thingy. :) Would that have helped Millo?"

no that's another dime a dozen ;)

message 15: by black lamb (new)

black lamb (nympholepsy) | 11 comments The first Millenium Trilogy book was really great, although it had its problems, but the second and third were seriously awful. Completely mind-numbingly boring and went well into the realm of over-the-top unrealistic ridiculousness. By the third, I'd started skimming - which I hardly ever do.

Lisbeth is the best part of his books, and every time he had to write her out of the majority of the plot you can feel the book coming to a grinding halt. Also the fact that Blomkvist is a transparent self-insert makes it really awkward when he kept writing about all these fantasy women he clearly had a boner for IRL and how they're all mad horny for Blomkvist's pudgy middle-aged Casablanca self. Like... the heck.

message 16: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah hahah I can't believe that people hate Larsson, I just thought that his books needed editing, the first book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was boring-first 100 pages,but not badly written from a technical point of view.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) Brycen wrote: "Yes it took me like two months to make it through book one. That book bored the pants off of me but I refused to let it beat me. Now I like several authors that you guys loath so I can handle odd b..."

I could have skipped the first hundred pages and the last hundred. Too much...stuff. Ugh. I think I fell asleep and re-read the same passages 5 times. Bored me senseless!!

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 1 comments I am so glad I am not the only one who didn't like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...I mean, it wasn't terrible but certainly not worth the hoopla. I was really let down while reading it.