Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

Favorites and Chit-Chat! > Favorite Christian Fiction Novels?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So I admit to being very repulsed by the fiction section at our local Berean. I'm not interested in the typical cliched romance novels. I'm not saying they're horrible, but they're not what I prefer and I'm interested in Christian fiction that seems more grounded in the reality of being a Christian and struggling with those concepts or other emotions.

That being said, what are your favorite Christian fiction novels? I'm curious and want to get into the Christian fiction world more.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schmidt | 10 comments Sometimes the Christian life experience is addressed with real insight outside the borders of standard 'Christian fiction'--for instance, "Jayber Crow", by Wendell Berry, or "Gilead", by Marilynne Robinson offer perspectives worth hearing. Annie Dillard's fiction ("The Living" and especially "The Maytrees") has informed my walk, too. More 'mainstream', Lisa Samson tackles significant topics with an engaging voice.

message 3: by Cee (last edited Apr 07, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Cee (cee-lakambini) | 5 comments My favorite Christian novels are also historical ones. These are Ben Hur by Lew Wallace and The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

I haven't read contemporary Christian fiction recently and I hope to get recommendations from here.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Cee, I'm sure many here can recommend some books to you. They've done a good job for me so far. =)

message 5: by Cee (new)

Cee (cee-lakambini) | 5 comments That's great, Elisa. Thanks..
Nice to "meet" you.

message 6: by Roman (new)

Roman New (romannew) | 7 comments A book recoomendation; "Values Of A Spiritual Mind" by Roman New...http://www.xlibris.com or http://149roman.wordpress.com/

message 7: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi Elisa wrote: "So I admit to being very repulsed by the fiction section at our local Berean. I'm not interested in the typical cliched romance novels. I'm not saying they're horrible, but they're not what I pre..."

Boy, oh boy do I agree with you. My passion is crime fiction. I love a good detective novel. I like romance in the novel, but not cliched romance. I'd love to have the romance not work out sometimes.

I'd recommend The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight (Patrick Bowers series) by Stephen James, Back on Murder (Roland March series) by J. Mark Bertrand, The Clouds Roll Away (Raleigh Harmon series) by Sibella Giorello, Comes A Horseman by Robert Liparulo, A Shred of Truth, The Best of Evil (Aramis Black series) by Eric Wilson.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for that list, Nike! I've got spring break, so that means I might be able to (finally) go to the library and start tackling this reading list!

message 9: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi Do you have Christian books in your library? I live in Gotham (NYC) and it's rare to find a Christian fiction book in the public library system.

message 10: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 74 comments I am loving the Scotland series by Liz Curtis Higgs. I want to read Christian fiction that does not compromise the message yet entertains. Sometimes hard to find.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 56 comments Darlene wrote: "I am loving the Scotland series by Liz Curtis Higgs. I want to read Christian fiction that does not compromise the message yet entertains. Sometimes hard to find."

I will have to check these out. If you want to read a good inspiration fiction writer and who's message is a good one, not in your face, then read Angela Hunt. I know I tell people alot about her but she is an excellent writer.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments My Favorite book would have to follow these two amazing authors, which are "Ted Dekker and Lisa T. Bergren".

----Rachel G.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_sutton) | 30 comments I have a lot of favorite Christian authors and have my favorites listed on my website and on Goodreads for the last three years if anyone wants to check it out.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Michelle wrote: "I have a lot of favorite Christian authors and have my favorites listed on my website and on Goodreads for the last three years if anyone wants to check it out."
That would be cool to look at. --Rachel G.

message 15: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 39 comments My favorite is This Present Darkness (Darkness Set, #1) by Frank E. Peretti and definitely Ted Dekker.

message 16: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 26, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments If you want real issues, read anything by Francine Rivers or Karen Kingsbury. They will touch issues like abuse, murder, adultery, having kids out of wedlock, abortion, etc... Francine River's Redeeming Love is the book of Hosea set in the California Gold Rush era. Her Mark of the Lion series is good too. It's during the Roman Gladiator days when they would throw Christians into the ring. Karen Kingsbury has a ton of books as well that are great. Divine is about a modern day Mary Magdalene and then of course she has her whole Baxter family and Flannigan family series that has become extremely popular. She hits every issue you can imagine from losing a child, to murder, to having a kid out of wedlock, adoption, etc in her Baxter series. Rivers and Kingsbury are my favorite authors.

message 17: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 39 comments I haven't read any books by Francine Rivers yet, but the way everyone is talking about how great she is I'll be trying ti find some of them right away!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments Karendenice wrote: "I haven't read any books by Francine Rivers yet, but the way everyone is talking about how great she is I'll be trying ti find some of them right away!"

Do it! She is amazing!

message 19: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 39 comments I have them written at the top of my library list in thick black marker for when I go to the library on Wednesday! :)

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_sutton) | 30 comments Rachel wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I have a lot of favorite Christian authors and have my favorites listed on my website and on Goodreads for the last three years if anyone wants to check it out."
That would be coo..."

http://edgyinspirationalauthor.blogsp...

http://edgyinspirationalauthor.blogsp...

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissawd1974) | 2 comments Karendenice wrote: "I haven't read any books by Francine Rivers yet, but the way everyone is talking about how great she is I'll be trying ti find some of them right away!"

"Redeeming Love" is really good!

message 22: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Atwood | 5 comments I am quite jaded, I but think Good Things Happened Today is a unique perspective on some fundamental challenges and issues Christians face living in the world today - and how our daily choices shape that reality.

Good Things Happened Today