Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Older Books & Double Novels

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (calebg) | 9 comments I'm helping a friend organize and catalog his personal library here on Goodreads. Many of the books he owns are rather old and don't appear in the databases here.

1)How do I go about getting them added?

2)A good portion (300+) of them are double or "flip" novels. How are those handled and where should I look when trying to find them?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Caleb wrote: "I'm helping a friend organize and catalog his personal library here on Goodreads. Many of the books he owns are rather old and don't appear in the databases here.

1)How do I go about getting the..."

Do they have ISBNs? If so just search by ISBN and if the book is found at Amazon or B&N, it will import from there. If the book isn't found anywhere, you can add it manually using the link on the top right of the search results screen. Anybody can manually add books, you don't have to be a librarian.

If they don't have ISBNs, it might be a little trickier to determine there isn't a record, here or to import from, but the basic procedure is still the same.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions or with help searching for a title.

HTH

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments For the flip novels, it's arbitrary which side gets considered primary, so your friend can just pick the one he likes better if the book isn't already listed. :) List that side's author as the primary author and the other side's author as a secondary author. If you can scan book covers, you can either scan the primary side's cover as the cover or scan both sides and paste them together into a single image.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

Do make sure to search for each one first by title(s) and author(s) -- there are a lot of older books without ISBNs which have been entered manually already!