Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 650 (650 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Elien (new)

Elien | 36 comments I hope there's not a topic about this subject anywhere else, because if there is, I overlooked it and I apologise. But I just had to comment on some of the things I've read here so far.

I'm new, but I've been lurking here for a while, and what caught my eye is the talk about 'e-readers'.

Are these already so commonly used in the UK or US? Do you lend library books on e-reader? Do you buy e-books? And most importantly, why do you do this?

Are they cheaper than 'normal' books? Easier to read? Easier to come by? Easier to transport?

As a reader, and library assistant, I just don't understand why some people would rather read a book on an e-reader than pick up the paper version. Surely nothing compares to curling up on a couch with a good, solid hardcover book? Or paperback, or pocket version. I just don't see myself curling up on a couch with the mini-laptop I imagine e-readers to look like. It's got to be bad for your eyes, as well, or not?

What are your thoughts? Paper books, or e-books? And why?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I have a Nook ereader and I love it. It's not anything like a mini-laptop. This is my ereader. It's just like reading on paper - no eye-strain.

My nook is lightweight, currently has over 250 books on it with room for many times that. It's perfect for one handed reading, so I can hold it easily without my hand or fingers becoming tired from holding it open. When I travel, I don't have to lug pounds and pounds of books with me - or agonize over which ones to bring. It's exactly like having a portable library in my bag.

I hate hardcovers and I always have. They are bulky and heavy and pretty much require two-hands to hold them open - unless they are on a table or desk or propped on something. I take my books with me everywhere I go, and hardcovers are not at all handy to lug around. MMPBs (my preferred dead-tree book format) are even inconvenient at times. And considering that a lot of the books I read are 500+ pagers, even MMPBs can be tiring to hold open one handed.

As far as the price, I would say that they are similar to MMPB or trade paperback prices- depending on the publisher. Regarding the availability - that too depends on the publisher. Many libraries offer ebook rentals (they are DRM protected) that can be downloaded to a device or app, which is convenient. My library doesn't offer this, unfortunately.

I love physical books - the look and feel and smell of them, and I will never give them up, but I can't imagine being without my ereader now. Almost like I can't imagine not reading at all. Ebooks haven't replaced physical books for me, but it has made reading more convenient. If I enjoy an ebook, I will get a physical copy of it, and vice versa if I want a copy for my nook of a physical book I liked. Many of the ebooks I have are duplicates of physical books I own.

Yep - definitely ereader love here. :D

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm a big re-reader, so having favorites on my nook is great. Not only is it portable and always with me, but I don't wear out my physical books. :)

And definitely the free domain classics are a huge perk! :D

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have an ereader - a Kobo - as well. I love it! I have a huge collection of paper books but I live in an apartment right now. I really don't have any room to buy books anymore so my ereader is great. :-) It does not take the place of a regular book but the portablity is more than worthwhile. I'm currently at my mom's house in the country. I have a huge library with me so I can read whatever I want. Normally this trip requires a 15-20 session of staring at my bookcases.

message 5: by Clay (new)

Clay (cdkorns) Hi An,

Like Nicki, I also use a Kindle. I currently have just under 300 books stored on it crossing multiple genres. I think that's the thing I love most about it. As a fantasy fan, the majority of what I own is in that genre, but I also have large history/biography, science fiction and science writing collections. Sometimes I find myself in the mood for a change of pace and the Kindle gives me the option to shift my reading material on the fly. I love having an unlimited selection to choose from in an 8oz (0.23kg) package. And with 4 GB of internal flash memory, The Kindle boasts the ability to allow the carrying of some 3,500 books with you wherever you may roam.

Also, I currently use a leather cover which holds my kindle similar to a hardback's cover. So reading still feels very much the same as if I were using a dead tree book (not to mention it classes it up some when I carry it to meetings, etc.). Also, the e-Ink screen looks so much like a printed page (no glare, back-lighting or reflection) that you don't even notice it's not a dead tree book while you're using it.

The ability to change font size, search a book's contents for keywords and highlight passages which show up in a list for easy access is maybe one of the greatest achievements in the field of the printed word since Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg invented mechanical movable type.

Sure, paper books are wonderful. But the advantages of eBooks are so numerous, that I can't believe I waited as long as I did to make the switch.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments I have a Nook that I only bought recently, and though I havent figured it all out yet, I like it a lot. The changing font size is a great thing. Sometimes MMpbs use such small print I cant read them very long, with my nook, I can make it as large as I want!

message 7: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I have a Kindle but whilst I love it, it will never completely replace 'normal' books for me. The convenience for travelling, shelf space etc is great but after reading a good book, I like to pass them onto friends and family - I'm hardly going to be passing my Kindle around!

Also, I like to read on holiday and whilst I'm not adverse to leaving a paperback on the beach or poolside whilst I go for a swim, I'm certainly not going to do the same with my Kindle, so it's not that great to take away unless you can keep it safe at all times.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinegm) | 8 comments I have a kobo and I love it. I will still buy paper books but sadly I don't have room for all the books I own now. The kobo is perfect for any book I would normally buy in paperback. When I fall asleep reading it's much lighter then a 1000 page hard cover when it hits my face too. lol

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Christine wrote: "I have a kobo and I love it. I will still buy paper books but sadly I don't have room for all the books I own now. The kobo is perfect for any book I would normally buy in paperback. When I fall asleep reading it's much lighter then a 1000 page hard cover when it hits my face too. lol "

LOL! No kidding... I wish I'd had my ereader when I read Under The Dome... That sucker weighs a TON in hardcover. Even the paperback (trade - no MMPB yet, but fingers crossed... when it comes out I'm trading down!) is enormous.

I would have loved to have my nook when I traveled to San Francisco/Napa last year for my brother's wedding too. I lugged The Passage (no lightweight), and another trade paperback with me in my carry-on bag, plus 4 or 5 more books in my checked bag - ones that I didn't even get around to reading but couldn't NOT take... On the way home it was worse! LOL

I hate being without a book, so my nook is a lifesaver (and backsaver!!). :D

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I love my Kindle. I like it most for the ability to change font size (I hate small print) and the fact that I can bring my library with me wherever I go.

I never grow tired of the tree killer paper books, though. I love them, too. The feel of them, the smell...Heck, I even love it when they come plowing down onto my face when in bed and falling asleep while reading.

Actually, I don't like that part much. LOL But I don't want to see books go away, which we are going to see because of ereaders. Not completely, but I think eventually you'll see only the really popular books in paper format.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I agree, Nicki. It will take years. The day is coming, though.

message 12: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) I wonder how many of us are forgetting the lessons learned by mp3 players and piracy. Books are already easily available for pirated downloads( about a two hour download will net you over 1000 books). Do we want the publishing industry to go the way of the music industry? I've given this subject much thought. Sure I'd love an e -reader. But i know i would miss wandering aimlessly through a book store or library, the smell of a new book, the anticipation of books coming by mail.

message 13: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) Nicki wrote: "Lou wrote: "Do we want the publishing industry to go the way of the music industry?"

Where did the music industry go, then? If the new album one of my favourite bands released this month is a figm..."

Sigh. So you're defending internet piracy, and the death of independent record stores?

message 14: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) My point is, we've seen how this plays out. Authors will get ripped off and physical books will all but disappear. Yes, many of you who have ereaders are noble and honest, but just imagine how many ereader owners will not be so honest.

message 15: by Chris (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:13AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I wouldn't say that replacing real books with ebooks is progress. Yes, the development of ebooks is definitely progress. But to me it doesn't quite compare to the cassette. Cassettes sucked and were inefficient. CD's were better. MP3s are even more efficient. With the quality of the sound being preserved, there was progress there.

With books, it's more an addition to the industry than a replacement. I hope so, at least. A world without books is a sad place indeed. And while I do like ebooks, they're a piece of computer data. Other than storage and portability, they don't really replace the efficiency of a real book. So I see it as supplemental rather than something that will make books obsolete. I can hope, at least.

I should note that this perceived decline in the publishing industry began before the ebook craze. We've been hearing of the decline for a long time. If you want something to blame, try the other forms of entertainment out there that are more instant gratification: television and video games. Children are not encouraged to read and their brains are being fed by those game controllers and remote controls. If anything, an ebook might appeal to them because it's something they can do while feeding their addiction to electronic devices.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Lou, I never saw Nicki defending piracy.

message 17: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) Chris wrote: "I wouldn't say that replacing real books with ebooks is progress. Yes, the development of ebooks is definitely progress. But to me it doesn't quite compare to the cassette. Cassettes sucked and wer..."

Good point. I'm admittedly being curmudgeonly in my views. My main concern is piracy, that's all.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) And, as Neil Gaiman has found, free distribution of his books has not equated to him being "ripped off", it has actually done just the opposite and increased his sales.

To answer his question in the video - I very, very rarely buy new books by a new-to-me author sight unseen. Usually I will borrow a book, or buy a used copy. And I doubt highly that the author is seeing any profit from the books I buy at my local Goodwill. With those, there's no further sale potential for that book from me, because I then own the used copy.

With ebooks, if I like a book, I will then go out and buy a keeper copy in paper book form. So, if the author's work appeals to me, they get a sale. It's that simple. If it doesn't - they don't. Furthermore, if the author's work appeals to me enough, I buy multiple copies of a book. Some I give away, some I keep as "reading copies" but either way - authors aren't getting "ripped off" by me.

Many of the ebooks that I have are duplicates of paper books I own. Hopefully, many of the ebooks I have to read will BECOME duplicates of paper books I will own.

E-reading hasn't replaced paper books for me. It complements them and enhances and makes my reading experience more convenient.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Piracy didn't kill the indy record dealers. The nature of the market did that. Big companies were able to sell cd's cheaper and the little stores couldn't keep up. When you have a Super Walmart come in and undercut the prices on everything, small businesses couldn't compete with that. Also, online ordering had a lot to do with that. I live in a small town that had no Walmart at all for years (we do now). Small stores could operate here at a profit. But once the online shopping craze hit big, convenience and lower prices drove the smaller stores out. Then Walmart moved in and put the smackdown on what was left.

And I'm talking about 100% legal activities here.

Piracy has always existed. Of course, as the technologies advance, so do the pirates. I remember a guy at school that bought up all the blank cassettes he could, recorded all his record albums, and sold the tapes at school. He made a killing on reselling the same music over and over, and the other kids got cheaper tapes than they would have in stores. But did he kill the industry? No. He provided a short term satisfaction and made a quick buck. But the quality of those recordings never reached that of the original material.

message 20: by Clay (new)

Clay (cdkorns) I don't think the "arts and entertainment" industries are going anywhere. On the contrary, I think the digital medium has HELPED stagnating entertainment industries. The rise of music downloading sites such as Napster and iTunes has provided an eficient and simple delivery mechanism for their product while maintaining a modicum of control over price and distribution.

Yes, the prevalent availability of pirated intellectual property is a hazard of the internet, and yes, it took time for the music industry to rein in the digital free-for-all that was the 90's; but it has pretty much evened itself out now. Record companies have found a way to release, market and profit from digitally released content and have slowly begun to see it as a new revenue source rather than a 21st century boogyman. I think the same thing will happen to digital literature in time.

Do I think internet piracy poses a threat? Sure. In exactly the same way as libraries and private music sharing groups have already posed a threat. Both do basically the same thing (admittedly on a much smaller scale). The era of digital media is here and it's here to stay. The fear that independent record stores and bookstores will disappear due to internet piracy is similar to the fear that livestock stables will disappear due to people stealing automobiles. It's not the theft that will drive the industry under, it's the shift from one less efficient technology toward another more efficient technology.

Even if digital piracy were to be completely eradicated, that would have little or no effect on the future of music or book retailers. The ease and availability of legitimately purchased digital content is what will influence the marketplace. I, for one, do not see music and book stores going away any time soon. Many people still prefer plastic and tree pulp to electrons and photons. But I think it will be efficiency, cost and the consumer which will be the ultimate arbiter of which format prevails - not piracy.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Clay wrote: "It's not the theft that will drive the industry under, it's the shift from one less efficient technology toward another more efficient technology...."

This is exactly where I was going with my long-windedness. Nicely said.

Here's a thought. If one left a box of cassette tapes sitting on a table outside a shop with no supervision, would anyone even bother to steal it? Even piracy is subject to supply and demand. If nobody wants the product, nobody will steal it.

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I can understand your concern, Lou. I think that the problem isn't piracy to be precise. The primary issue is the lack of concern that the publishing industry seems to have for the consumer. The consumer is – technically – the patron. The industry likes to think that everyone is stupid and that we believe that the prices that are being charged for ebooks (sometimes at prices higher than printed books) are really based on cost.

I recently had plans on buying the bask list of my favorite author in e-format. The prices they are charging for backlist ebooks are the same price as a recently released MMPB! Just to see what would happen, I bought one anyway. The book was full of errors that didn’t even exist in the original print version (I own both). I contacted the publisher and was basically told to go fuck myself. Now I’m supposed to be concerned that some books might be pirated? If I had the ability to bypass the publisher and go straight to the author, I would (and I do when I can). The publishing industry is going to quickly find themselves out of business if they do not change their business model.

Why would you be concerned with someone who has the ability to download 1000 books in two hours? Books are not music. No one can read 1000 books in the same amount of time that a person can listen to 1000 songs. I’m sure that majority of those files never get opened so my concern for that problem is rather small.

message 23: by Chris (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) MrsJoseph wrote: "I can understand your concern, Lou. I think that the problem isn't piracy to be precise. The primary issue is the lack of concern that the publishing industry seems to have for the consumer. The..."

Amen to this! I get tired of seeing the consumers and the readers being blamed for the trends in the industry. The producers of any product must adjust to the economic climate that they sell in or they will fail. Period.

I'm a consumer as much as I'm a reader. I don't need some author telling me that he/she is going broke because of my actions as a consumer. I've been told on GR that I'm wrong for buying from amazon and Walmart, who sell books cheaper than indy stores. WTF? I'm a consumer. I buy where I find the best value for my hard earned dollar.

message 24: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) Can you blame me for having some trepidation? I think all your points are really good, but do you think i have any reason to be worried?

message 25: by Clay (new)

Clay (cdkorns) Luo,

Nobody can blame anybody for fearing what the effects of widespread piracy will have on an industry. And I will admit that the authors who are likely to be hurt the most will be "lesser knowns" or those who only see MMPB publication of their work. And nobody wants a young or aspiring artist to get F*ed by his/her audience.

I just think that, as with the music industry, publishers will work out an efficient, cost effective and lucrative way to provide their paying customers with what they want, to the benefit of all parties involved. That's the way the free market has always operated. Piracy will forever be an issue. No matter what a publisher does, code savvy individuals will find ways around any form of DRM script.

The best course of action for publishers should be to provide their customers with what they want - as error free and accurate a copy of their favorite author's/musician's latest achievement as is possible, competitively priced. Whether that ends up being a fiberboard bound ream of paper or a virtual packet of 1's and 0's will ultimately be up to the consumer.

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments I've had my kindle now for almost two years and I love it. I have about 400 books on my e-reader.

I have to say the dedicated e-readers, like nook, Kindle, Sony etc. that use e-ink technology (as opposed to LCD displays like Ipads or netbooks that lead to eye-strain) mimic the experience of reading on paper. At first there are some adjustment issues, but you adapt very quickly. With the exception of graphic novels, e-books are now my preferred format.

I love being able to query a quote or search a passage that I've highlighted or use the embedded dictionary to look up unfamiliar words right there on the page. And I super incredibly love being able to purchase a book at the very moment I want it. Even if I am on a train in the middle of a 2 hour trip. Needless to say my book buying has gone way up in the past couple of years.

WRT to piracy, I read a statistic somewhere that piracy has not increased with the availability of ebooks and that prior to the rise in ebooks piracy was just as rife with pirates using OCR and scanners. The article cited the fact that no Harry Potter books have ever been published in e-format and yet they are propagated all over the place in pirated sites. I also remember there being some outrage when the ebook version of Stephen King's Under The Dome was deliberately delayed by a month so as not to interfere with hardcover sales. Yet a pirated version was available within days of the hardcover release.

Piracy is here to stay. People who are inclined to steal are going to do so. Honest people will not but they aren't going to part with money either if they don't find the sales terms attractive. Imo, Publishers can make sales very attractive indeed by finding a price point and creating availability that readers can be comfortable with. And, no, that does not mean offering an e-book at higher than the mmpb price or making he e-book available 2 months after the mmpb.

message 27: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) So my next question is, what e reader should i buy?

message 28: by Clay (new)

Clay (cdkorns) Tina, I would like to see something similar to what Hollywood has done with DVD/Blu-ray releases. An option to buy a slightly higher priced hardback/paperback with a download code for the eBook version included. I think that would aid in slowing some piracy as many book lovers enjoy their hard copies but like the convenience of their e-copies as well.

Lou, that's a loaded question my friend ... lol. I use a Kindle myself, but have a few friends using Nooks and Kobos too. I don't really know anyone using Sony's offering. I have tried out both the Nook and the Kindle and would say it's going to come down to personal preference. Bot will have similar features and a similar selection of downloadable content. I went with Amazon simply because I liked the eInk screen on the Kindle a little more than on the Nook and I do a lot of shopping through Amazon anyway.

I would suggest a little internet research on the different models available and (if possible) a hand's on session with each - check out a best buy or similar store that has displays set up with each different device - and make your selection based on what you like best.

message 29: by Clay (new)

Clay (cdkorns) P.S. Tina's suggestion of browsing each provider's eBook catalog is a very good one as well. Some publishers have opted not to publish on all eReader platforms.

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I agree with Nicki, look around to see who carries the most books that you buy. Until I joined GR I mostly purchased from small press publishers for new materials. Now that I am involved in a monthly read I have to look for more recent books.

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments Lou wrote: "So my next question is, what e reader should i buy?"

Lou, I would say make a list of the features you want in an e-reader and also take into account the type of reader you are.

For instance, are you a hardcore reader who reads daily? Then a dedicated reader is probably best. They are smaller, lighter, can fit in bags, backpacks & briefcases easily, can be read in direct sunlight etc. Also the battery life of most dedicated e-readers are very long. A Kindle battery last about two weeks. Ithings batteries last anywhere from 3 hours to 10 hours depending on what else you're doing.

Where do you want to get your content? Do you like to shop at various e-tailers or are you loyal to one e-tailer? Do you want to be able to read library books? If you want the widest reading capability then a Sony or Kobo reader is best. Epub is the the widest format available so you have the option of shopping at a lot of different places. They can also read the Adobe Digital Editions that libraries use for digital lending. Ithings (pads, Touches, Phones etc.) They have the most variability because you can also download Amazon and B&N books via those Apps as well as library books via OverDrive or BlueFire reader apps. Kindles are not compatible with ADE so no library content there.

Do you want to be able to shop directly from your device? Nook (non-color), Kindles and Ithings do that. The 3G version of the nooks/Kindles/Ipad and of course and Iphone will connect anywhere even if you are not in a wifi area. Others like the Sonys & Kobos need to you purchase via a computer and then use a USB cable to load onto the device.

Is Cost an issue? Kindles go for 139/189. Sony @ 179. Nooks 149/199. Ithings - 199 - 899.

For me, I am a hardcore reader who takes my reader everywhere I go. I like to be able to buy whenever I want and I am pretty happy with the selection and customer service of Amazon. So I chose a 3G Kindle. When bought it it was 149.00 so the price was very nice for me. I can buy from other non-Amazon e-tailors as long as the books are not DRM'd. I can buy them in .prc or .mobi format which the Kindle can read natively or I can just convert them using a conversion tool.

I also have an Ipad. But I HATE reading on it. It is too heavy. My son likes to read on it though but he isn't as hardcore as me.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Tina wrote: "Do you want to be able to shop directly from your device? Nook (non-color), Kindles and Ithings do that."

NookColor does allow you to shop and buy directly from the device as well.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I would avoid the iThings for right now. Apple & content publishers are having a battle royal. You know the casualities in these situations are always the customer. :-(

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments Becky wrote: "Tina wrote: "Do you want to be able to shop directly from your device? Nook (non-color), Kindles and Ithings do that."

NookColor does allow you to shop and buy directly from the device as well."

Oh, that's good to know. I need to update my notes. I do technology info sessions at the local library and the one I did before Christmas was all about buying e-readres. Right around then I don't think the nook color was 3G capable yet.

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yep... my boyfriend and two of my friends just got the nookcolor. I haven't actually SEEN one purchase anything yet, but I had to help my boyfriend set it up and the nookcolor has a purchase password, which my regular nook has as well, so it stands to reason. ;)

Now I'll have to go home and verify for you. :)

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The sacrifices I make... LOL :P

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Awesome debate earlier, everyone! I sometimes hate working the night-shift because I always come in on these discussions too late. LOL

I just wanted to add my thoughts regarding piracy. I am a writer, and though I've yet to have any big sales, I do have some published work. Some of it you can read for free at my website (http://www.jasonwhitefiction.com). :)

Anyway, if I were ever to publish an actual novel one day, I would want it pirated. Hell, (and don't tell the publishers this), I might even pirate it myself. There's reasons why I would do this to my own work.

1. Your book being pirated means that it's being passed around. People are at least looking at the cover and thinking, "Hmmm, who's this?"

2. Having known some pirates, I know that they also buy a lot of what they pirate. A lot of them use piracy just to get their toes wet, so to speak. There's so many different authors/bands out there, it is virtually impossible to buy it all. Why not use a filter? So, if someone downloaded my book illegally and found that they liked my book and then bought it, how did I lose? Heck, even if they didn't buy it, but continue reading me, I think I still win (see #3 below). So, in retrospect, this is a lot like my reasons for #1; i.e. piracy not only circulates my name as a writer, but it also circulates my product to a wider audience.

3. As mentioned above, I think I still win even if an individual pirated my book but didn't buy it. The reason for this is simple. I want readers. Readers will eventually bring money.

If you think about it, however, there are not too many Neil Gaimans' and Stephen Kings' out there. The odds of becoming a writer who makes that much money are very high. You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning. It's a fact: writers do not make money. A hell of a lot of them have to continue working for a living while writing on the side. And this was a fact before digital piracy become such a big concern.

As a writer, myself, I've come to accept this. I'd just be happy to have something published and, perhaps, get a little money for it. This will still be possible because of reason #2 above: people love buying the actual copy once they're convinced they like it.

What it comes down to, is that I don't think piracy really hurts. If anything, it allows people to consume more efficiently. You could blame piracy on the inevitable death of CDs and paper books, but you really should be blaming everything going digital.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Awesome thoughts, Jason. That's a very cool perspective.

message 39: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments Yeah, what the music industry failed to learn is that pirated copies =/= equal lost sales. You basically have three kinds of pirates:

1) People who believe that all media should be free and refuse to pay on principal
2) People who are broke (i.e. teenagers and college students) but used to getting stuff for free from their parents.
3) People who don't want to take financial risks.

The first group will go out of their way to not pay, but there aren't many of them. The second group doesn't have the means to pay anyway. The third group is liable to purchase the media after the fact if they think it turned out to be worth the money.

Back to the OP, I decided to buy a nook last fall. The way I saw it, the device itself was about the price of a nice bookshelf, and would hold a lot more books. It also reduces clutter/storage space immensely, so I feel that they're worth the price now.

I love the thing. It's in a lot of ways superior to reading a last-millenium-book without adding any substantial drawbacks aside from not being able to loan books to friends as easily. Once you factor in all the public domain/on-sale-for-free books that are available, and the prevalence of indie authors, my average cost/book is under $5. Maybe even less than $3.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a huge advocate of ebook "piracy". Lol. Noble? Honest? What drivel! Am I a dishonest ignoble person because I share ebooks? Lol I certainly don't Feel that way. If anything I think I do quite the job of spreading the praises of authors and novels. I seriously laughed out loud at the thought that piracy singlehandedly brought down the still thriving music industry or that it could in any way impact the publishing world. Silly. Hell, I always purchase the hardcover novels of ebooks that I enjoy, in turn supporting authors. What I don't support and never will is the ridiculous profit made by corporations on ebooks. I see ebooks on amazon going for upwards of $15.00! That's f'ing ridiculous! Moreso, half of the ebooks I've purchased contained multiple errors that simple proofreading would have found. I feel that if I've purchased a novel in it's physical form I have every right to that novel in digital format. Heh. Obviously, I'm not the least bit sorry for being a pirate. Argggggg. Avast! Something else pirate-y

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ahoy? ;)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh yeah! Ahoy!

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Mmmm... cookies!

Anyway - Tina, I did verify. Nookcolor searches and purchases are a go just like on the regular nook, kindle, etc. :)

message 44: by Jacen (new)

Jacen | 44 comments Alot of the anti-piracy tards seem to have a very dim view on people in general. The view seems to be that everyone will rush out and "steal" peoples stuff because they can. All piracy does is increase access to a media, IF the ability to have free access to a book to read was going to cause any major harm to the industry i think publishers would be trying to put libraries out of business. They know it and anyone with half an understanding knows that ebook piracy is likely to have at the most a very tiny negative influence.

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments Becky wrote: "Mmmm... cookies!

Anyway - Tina, I did verify. Nookcolor searches and purchases are a go just like on the regular nook, kindle, etc. :)"

Awesome. Thanks, I make sure that is included in my update.

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Yeah, publishers would try to outlaw used books stores too. And what would they do to those horrid people, those evil old women, who swap full boxes of paperbacks? LOL

Actually, my grandmother used to swap literal boxes of books with her friends. My wife's aunts and grandmother did the exact same thing, so I imagine this is a fairly common thing to do. So, isn't this a form of piracy?

My point, this has been going on since books were created.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

"shrugs" there's always going to be alarmists and instigators who are perfectly willing to cast the first stone. C'est la vie.

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I used to go to a used book store that sold used paperbacks at $0.10 each and bought them for $0.05. I loved that place :-) I would get about 40-50 books at a time, sell back what I hated and buy all over again. *memories*

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh and for the record my primary Ereader is an iPad. There are so many available reading apps on the iPad that offer so many more features than other readers and just Look so much better in my opinion. I've never had a problem reading in all types of light nor have I had a problem with eye strain. I couldnt say enough good things about the iPad. Lol of course I'm partial since I also draw on my iPad, watch movies, play games, work etc etc :)

message 50: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant, what do you think of the whole dust up regarding Apple requiring only IAP and a 30% cut?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13