We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Group Reads > March 2011 Book Club Discussion: When Strangers Marry by Lisa Kleypas

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments When Strangers Marry (Vallerands, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Lysette buried her face against Max's throat. "But he's going to take me away. Don't let him, don't — "

"You're not going anywhere," Max interrupted. "Calm yourself, Lysette. It's not good for you to become excited." His possessiveness made her strangely giddy. As far as he was concerned, she was his, and no one was going to take her away from him.

Max stared at Etienne. His voice was soft, but it contained a note that chilled Lysette's blood. "If you so much as disarrange a hair on her head, I'll tear you apart."

Lysette couldn't believe it, but she didn't care about her ruined reputation. The only thing that mattered was that she wouldn't have to marry Etienne.

message 2: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments So, let's talk about Max & Lysette!

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Ok, I've read this before...debating if I will read it again.

message 4: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments What are your memories of it? Good, bad?

message 5: by ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:43AM) (new)

ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...] (sadeyes) | 241 comments Think I've exhausted my feelings about this one in your thread Bekah so I'll pass, for now! :p hahahaha

message 6: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments no problem. I bet that some of the same feelings will be expressed here as well except for the strong feelings we had that stemmed from the original.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments It was ok from what I remember. it was a couple years ago that I read it! I was more intrigued by max's sons...and enjoyed Justins book MUCH more!

Dunno, might pull this one out today and start reading when thru with the one i'm reading mow.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Oh, and I think I do recall a sceen in this book where honey was involved!

message 9: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol, yes it was! That wasn't in the original....

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Mar 02, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Heidi | 871 comments See I knew something would stand out! That WAS a great scene huh?

Now I think I better go dig it out!

message 11: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments the rewrite was a lot steamier than the original, so it was nice to see that scene in it.

message 12: by ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Mar 02, 2011 01:22PM) (new)

ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...] (sadeyes) | 241 comments The honey scene, as far as I can remember, wasn't very explicit but I do recall a scene in Max's study which didn't include honey. Oh man! :p

message 13: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments The honey scene ended up fading to black and the study scene also wasn't in the original. Almost all of their physical relationship was changed. The beginning period of giving her time to get used to him was much shorter and the initial 'taking of the virginity' scene was completely different and much hotter. Up against the door is where it began I believe???

:-)

ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...] (sadeyes) | 241 comments Was the honey scene, you know, detailed in the original? Because I know it wasn't in the re-write. But gotta say, the study scene was marvellous.

"Up against the door is where it began I believe???"

Hahaha Bekah. :p

**Spoiler for those who haven't read Justin's story, Max actually teases Lysette by reminding her of the study scene almost at the end of the book, where Justin and Celia ... well, you got my point I think. That was actually cute IMO! :p

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments I remember that Punya! It was cute how Max teased her about that!

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Since I am not feeling Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas ...I think I will get out Max or Justins story to read.

message 18: by BRNTerri (last edited Mar 08, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

BRNTerri Bekah, I think it would be a good idea for you to mention in your first post that 'When Strangers Marry' is actually a rewritten version of Only in Your Arms because some may not know.

I first read the original version of this, Only in Your Arms by Lisa Kleypas about two years ago. I don't remember much about it other than I didn't care too much for it and I rated it three stars/C.

If anyone is interested in reading what some of the major differences were, you can read my review here, http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I didn't read the rewrite, 'When Strangers Marry' but did a lot of side by side comparisons.

Luckily, I have NOT read the next in the series and will be reading that one for the group! I'm real glad to be reading them in order.

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 320 comments I enjoyed this book even though it did seem to drag out. I loved Max's possessiveness and her spunk.

message 20: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I just got through reading them both last month for my ILLK journey and there were a LOT of differences. However, there is a reason there is a rewrite. The second one is much better and the first would be just fine to skip!

message 21: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Heidi wrote: "Since I am not feeling Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas...I think I will get out Max or Justins story to read."

that's ok- I'll keep Leo.

message 22: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments well......you might wanna share him every now and again!

:)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.