Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
99 views
Archives > SP11 Spring Cleaning Q&A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Post your questions about "Spring Cleaning" or "Does X book fit in X genre?" here.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Ok, a couple of questions:

15.10 General Non-Fiction - Is this anything that wouldn't fit the Biography or Memoir category?


15.7 Drama - Not sure what is meant by this. Are you thinking along the lines of Shakespeare's tragedies, or are you thinking more literary fiction, not generally comedic in nature?


message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ok, a couple of questions:

15.10 General Non-Fiction - Is this anything that wouldn't fit the Biography or Memoir category?


15.7 Drama - Not sure what is meant by this. Are you thinking alo..."


15.10 - Any non-fiction other than biography or memoir

15.7 - Plays, screenplays, scripts.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Great - thanks for the quick response!


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Ok, got another one. For biography, I have James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights, and though it is subject specific in Madison's life, I'm hopeful it works.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2261 comments Is this in place of the Reading With Style challenge or in addition to it?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Jayme, these are the 15 point tasks for the Spring Challenge. In the Winter Challenge it was called Backpacking through Europe. I'm sure Sam will be posting the 10- and 20- point tasks soon.


message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda What is the timeline on "spring 2011"?


message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 20, 2011 05:48PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Linda, our challenges are always for 3 months. While Sam may have an edit or two to make to the posted Rules & Guidelines, this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...


message 10: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:03AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Linda wrote: "What is the timeline on "spring 2011"?"

Hi Linda:

The link the Elizabeth provided above is a great one. It will give you some background about this group.

The Spring Challenge runs from March 1st - May 31st.

Welcome to the group!

-Krista


message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Jayme, these are the 15 point tasks for the Spring Challenge. In the Winter Challenge it was called Backpacking through Europe. I'm sure Sam will be posting the 10- and 20- point tasks soon."

Yep, we're polishing up the final task selections. The next quarter's tasks are just about here..... (It's so exciting!) :-)


message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 532 comments Couple of questions..

Do autobiographies count for 15.8?
And
Can you earn both bonuses with one book?

Thanks!


message 13: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Couple of questions..

Do autobiographies count for 15.8?
And
Can you earn both bonuses with one book?

Thanks!"


Autobiography would fall under 15.9 Memoir.

Yes, you can earn both bonuses for one book if the book was published before 1980, and was more than 500 pages long.


message 14: by Potjy (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:52AM) (new)

Potjy | 29 comments Great challenge. Thank you. But please define "Supernatural", as opposed to "Science Fiction" and "Fantasy".


message 16: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Joanna wrote: "Would The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon work as a biography?"

Yes, I read it a couple of challenges ago, and it's a biography. An interesting book too!


message 17: by Norma (new)

Norma | 1279 comments Am I on the right track with the books I have choosen so far?

15.1 Mystery - Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
15.2 Science Fiction - Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
15.3 Fantasy - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
15.4 Historical Fiction - The Help by Kathryn Stockett
15.5 Supernatural - Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
15.6 Romance - Don't Look Down by Jennifer Cruise
15.7 Drama - Cat On a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams
15.8 Biography -
15.9 Memoir - Love Eat Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert
15.10 General Non-Fiction -


message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Norma wrote: "Am I on the right track with the books I have choosen so far?

15.1 Mystery - Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
15.2 Science Fiction - Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
15..."


That all works!


message 19: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Would you be willing to approve American Gods for horror?

It won the 2001 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel, which is given by the Horror Writers Association for superior acheivement in horror writing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Sto...


message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Potjy wrote: "Great challenge. Thank you. But please define "Supernatural", as opposed to "Science Fiction" and "Fantasy"."

Check out these links for sci-fi and fantasy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

For our purposes here, "supernatural" means books that feature ghosts, vampires, werewolves, witches etc. in a macabre way. Gandalf and Harry Potter are not macabre (i.e., fantasy), whereas The Dresden Files and the Sookie Stackhouse books are.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments It's a busy time for you and we're all jumping in here at once. I think you might have overlooked my question re: James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights. Does this work for the biography task?


message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "It's a busy time for you and we're all jumping in here at once. I think you might have overlooked my question re: James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights. Does this work..."

When I came up with "Spring Cleaning," I decided that I would use Amazon's classification system to make judgment calls...it's categorized as General Non-Fiction->Government. So I'm going to say "no" for biography.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Ok, thanks, I thought it might be a bit narrow, which is why I thought I should ask. ;-)


message 24: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) So for the drama component (15.7), we are to read a play? And if that is case, would a play by Shakespeare work?


message 25: by Liz M (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:26PM) (new)

Liz M Melissa W wrote: "So for the drama component (15.7), we are to read a play? And if that is case, would a play by Shakespeare work?"

A play, screenplay or script. And yes, some Shakespeare plays will work. However the trick with this task is meeting the 100-page minimum. (The Dover thrift edition of Much Ado About Nothing is only 80 pages).

Sam, a couple of challenges back there was a "play" task. If I remember correctly, multiple plays could be read to meet the task's page minimum. The number of pages counted was just the text of the play (introduction, commentary, etc. were excluded). Are these appropriate guidelines for 15.7?


message 26: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments Sam, since you approve of The Dresden Files as "supernatural", am I correct in assuming that Simon R Green 's Nightside books would qualify as supernatural as well?

BTW, love the Spring Cleaning sub-challnge!


message 27: by Potjy (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:00AM) (new)

Potjy | 29 comments Sam wrote: "Potjy wrote: "Great challenge. Thank you. But please define "Supernatural", as opposed to "Science Fiction" and "Fantasy"."

For our purposes here, "supernatural" means books that feature ghosts, vampires, werewolves, witches etc. in a macabre way. Gandalf and Harry Potter are not macabre (i.e., fantasy), whereas The Dresden Files and the Sookie Stackhouse books are."


- Uh... then how is it different from horror (15.6)? I get the general idea, but I think we need a clear, standard rule and definition here.

Thank you. :)


message 28: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Liz M wrote: "Sam, a couple of challenges back there was a "play" task. If I remember correctly, multiple plays could be read to meet the task's page minimum. The number of pages counted was just the text of the play (introduction, commentary, etc. were excluded). Are these appropriate guidelines for 15.7?"

I just want to highlight that this same issue is going to come up with poetry as well. I asked about this over in the other Q&A thread -- Sam said it was okay to read more than one poetry book by the same author, but hasn't yet responded about whether two books by different authors would also work.


message 29: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) So if I were to read 2 Shakespeare plays for 15.7, that would be okay?


message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Melissa W wrote: "So if I were to read 2 Shakespeare plays for 15.7, that would be okay?"

Yes, that would be okay.

The 'Play' task a couple of challenges ago was my task. Liz is right for the page count for that task we just counted the actual number of pages containing the text of the play. The introductions, commentary, etc wasn't counted.


message 31: by Rebekah (last edited Feb 25, 2011 06:40PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Can the Supernatural task include non-fiction? Such as John Edward's Crossing Over or Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium? What about the controversial The Amityville Horror? I know the movie was called a "horror" movie but the book was written as a true experience.

What category does Jasper Fforde's books fall under? Looking forward to the new Thursday Next novel to be releaased soon


message 32: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 08:00AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments I was wondering about the Jasper Fforde books myself. I haven't started the series yet, but I've been meaning to read The Eyre Affair for months now.

Hey, wait a minute...... I think The Eyre Affair works as a rhyming title for 20.2.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Interesting. I've always pronounced Eyre as Ire, not Air.


message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Hmmm -- I always pronounced it as 'Air', but I could be wrong....


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments No, I'm probably wrong.


message 36: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "No, I'm probably wrong."

Oh no -- I could be wrong. :-)

I wonder if Liz has a cool link to a pronunciation website.


message 38: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word..."

That is so cool! I just have to ask for something, and poof -- it's provided. It's like having a magic genie. Thanks Elzabeth. Now, if I asked for the winning Powerball numbers do you think you could hook me up?

I think he said 'air' -- although with the British accent it's still a trifle iffy. But I'm going with 'Air'.

The Eyre Affair here we come for Task 20.2!


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Aihr, and the R is so very, very soft.

And believe, me, if I knew the Powerball numbers, I would PM you and we could split. I can't buy tickets here, but I could sure figure out how to spend the winnings. ;-)


message 40: by Liz M (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:49PM) (new)

Liz M Krista wrote: "Now, if I asked for the winning Powerball numbers do you think you could hook me up?

I think he said 'air' -- although with the British accent it's still a trifle iffy. But I'm going with 'Air'...."


Rhymezone provides air, bare, etc as rhymes for Eyre. And if I find them, I'm keeping the winning powerball numbers to myself, thank you very much. :P


message 41: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Liz M wrote: "Krista wrote: "Now, if I asked for the winning Powerball numbers do you think you could hook me up?

I think he said 'air' -- although with the British accent it's still a trifle iffy. But I'm goin...

Rhymezone provides air, bare, etc as rhymes for Eyre. And if I find them, I'm keeping the winning powerball numbers to myself, thank you very much. :P "


Hey, I'd share with YOU if I won. :-)


message 42: by Liz M (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:26PM) (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "What category does Jasper Fforde's books fall under? Looking forward to the new Thursday Next novel to be releaased soon..."

According to Amazon:
Look for Similar Items by Category
Books > Literature & Fiction
Books > Mystery & Thrillers > Mystery
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alternate History


Sam, does this mean it can be used for 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3?


message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "What category does Jasper Fforde's books fall under? Looking forward to the new Thursday Next novel to be releaased soon..."

According to Amazon:
Look for Similar Items by Category..."


Amazon's the boss on this one...in any case, I definitely think the series fits all three of those genres.


message 44: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Just out of curiosity. Why did Horror get put with Romance instead of with Supernatural? Itseems to go together like Mystery/Thriller or is someone just determined not to read another romance because they find it horrific? (smile)


message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Krista wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word..."

That is so cool! I just have to ask for something, and poof -- it's provided. It's like having a magic..."


How does Amanda Eyre Ward pronounce it?


message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Rebekah wrote: "Just out of curiosity. Why did Horror get put with Romance instead of with Supernatural? Itseems to go together like Mystery/Thriller or is someone just determined not to read another romance becau..."

Horror and romance seem to be the most polarizing genres, so I put them together. Spring Cleaning is about cleaning out the TBR rather than adding to it, so it made sense to me.


message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Potjy wrote: "Sam wrote: "Potjy wrote: "Great challenge. Thank you. But please define "Supernatural", as opposed to "Science Fiction" and "Fantasy"."

For our purposes here, "supernatural" means books that featu..."


There will be some overlap with several categories...use it as a chance to get stuff cleared off of the TBR.


message 48: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4456 comments I've been checking Amazon to double check the categories but I still have a question about one of my books. I want to use American Musicfor the romance category and the description says it's a love story, but Amazon just categorizes it as literary fiction. Will it still work for romance?

I really love this for getting to my TBRs!


message 50: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Krista wrote: "I was wondering about the Jasper Fforde books myself. I haven't started the series yet, but I've been meaning to read The Eyre Affair for months now.

Hey, wait a minute...... I t..."


I saw Jasper Fforde at a book reading in New Orleans and he pronounced the title so that it rhymed.


« previous 1 3
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.