Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Past perfect: future looks bleak for publishers

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (flyingfinish) | 29 comments Is the golden age of publishing over

‘You can keep on knocking but you can’t come in - is no longer true as the market is swamped by self-published books. Droves of writers are bypassing publishing houses in favour of DIY. No longer does an author wanting to self publish have to commit a large sum of money upfront to buy thousands of copies of his title and then have to sell them himself. One of the most welcome by-products of digital technology has been the development of on-line publishers that offer free publishing tools to assist aspiring writers to complete and sell their work without having to spend a cent.

How does DIY affect publishers

Ironically, it is the excluders who are finding themselves excluded. Mainstream publishers that would only consider work submitted by a literary agent, the famous or, a relative of someone eminent in the literary industry, are being bypassed by a new breed of writers who refuse to slink away, completely demoralized. It’s true that independent authors can’t compete with mainstream publishers when it comes down to selling to book chains but book shops are on the wane and on-line shopping is in ascendancy and you don’t need a sales/marketing /publicity department or a huge budget to market on the net.

It has always been difficult for self-published authors to be taken seriously by the literary reviewers, snobbishness is alive and well in the media. But the media is small bikkies compared to the world wide web. Savvy writers are writing blogs or articles, joining book communities, forums and social networking to market their books on the net and, the general public doesn’t give a toss. The publisher doesn’t come into the equation when it comes to buying a book.

What lies ahead

The future doesn’t look good for publishers with sky rocketing printing costs, decreasing numbers of retail outlets, escalation in on-line shopping and acceptance by readers of e-books Competition from hordes of independent authors who are prepared to take control of their own destinies is just another nail in the coffin.

http://thebiocideconspiracy.com
http://ann-massey.blogspot.com
http://annmasseyauthor.blogspot.com

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ann you have already posted this topic two other times in this group.

☼Book her, Doesn't  Like New GR Format☼  (ren_t) Heidi I wrote: "Ann you have already posted this topic two other times in this group."

She has a book coming out.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Pam wrote: "Heidi I wrote: "Ann you have already posted this topic two other times in this group."

She has a book coming out."

Ahh I see. Perhaps the moderator can close two of these threads then.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Feb 22, 2011 03:03AM) (new)

Ann Massey (flyingfinish) | 29 comments Sorry, so frantically trying to do my promotion before setting off for school (English teacher, I got confused. Forgive me, please.

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Haha I have an idea what you mean