Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Matched (Matched, #1)
This topic is about Matched
Book Club Discussions > March 2011- Matched by Ally Condie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Matched is a dystopian novel that is not like any other, but took some influences from some other great novels. The best way to describe Matched is as The Giver with the romance and tension of The Hunger Games.

One of the things I loved about The Giver was how it made me think about how lucky we are when it comes to the arts (poetry, books, music, etc.)and free will and choice and many other aspects of our life- Matched made me feel the same way.

It will be a trilogy and after reading the first, I really want to read the rest.

Anyone else read it?

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I usually don't like dystopian books, but I decided to try Matched, I really enjoyed the characters and I think the author, her writing is amazing I am really curious on what she does to the next two books!!

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I enjoyed Matched. It's kind of a slow book with not a lot of action which I think might put some readers off but I was fine with it. I really liked to discover the kind of dystopia Cassia lives in.
The love triangle (or general romance) was a bit too weak and didn't interest me that much.

Alicia I read it about a month ago, and it was a three star read for me - entertaining, but not amazing. I found Cassia kind of bland and I'm really, really sick of guy-guy-girl love triangles. I would have rather had the focus of the book be more on the politics of the society than on chaste romance. That said, I think Condie writes well and had some beautiful, descriptive sections. I loved Cassia's relationship with her family. She was so sweetly protective of her little brother and I loved how both her parents had their own little hidden rebellious streaks. I wrote a bit more in my review here if anyone is interested.

What does everyone think about the fact that it's being made into a movie? It's been signed on by Disney but not cast yet. Anyone have an actor they'd like to see in a certain role? I think it's a story that could translate well to the big-screen and I will definitely go see it but I'm a bit worried about Disney producing it.. I hope they don't make it too fluffy. I don't mind if the move is made so that it's suitable for children, but it's a dystopian so it needs to be.. spooky. Like a dystpopian should be. I hope the focus isn`t on making it into a fluffy romance.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I don't like distopia books but I thought she is a really good author. Hense why I wasnt' sure how to review it. It's being made into a movie?? Nah I think their pirates movies and the new alice in wonderland proves they understand a darker side

Alicia That is true, Ottilie! I loved Burton's Alice!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha so did I, I am curious on how they do this, and shocked that they aren't waiting for more of the series to be out to start the movie stuff

message 8: by Alicia (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alicia Well, I think her book sold to the publishers for one of the highest prices in YA for the year, had a huge initial print-run and got a lot of good reviews and hype prior to publication. Plus, Condie is in the same publishing circle as Meyer (they have the same agent), so I'm not sure if that means anything. And frankly, most well-known books ARE made into movies now, especially YA ones. I can't wait to go watch Beastly, haha.

This blog gave me a giggle: http://thepaperwait.blogspot.com/2009...

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments True, oh I didn't know she had the same agent at Meyer, oh god this could be either good or bad. I really don't want to deal with more obessions. True, they are running out of ideas might as well grab books that they know they are doing well. I havne't read beastly yet. I'm curious though since we'll mis her words if the magic will still be there as much. Haha I'm reading the blog, they are both mormons? haha weird similarities between the two authors!

Alicia Oh, I don't think the magic will be lost. Quite the opposite - I think that with dystopians the effect of seeing things visually on the screen, ie. seeing hundreds of people all dressed in the same grey uniform and a street-block with 100 perfect, identical houses, the effect is often more gloomy and creepy than reading about it. Of course it will depend somewhat on the actors and their ability to emote.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Very true, I'm going to be lending my copy to my close friend, she LOVES distopia books. It'll be intersting to see the books. True I really hope they have better actors then twilight, better chemistry. Some of the settings she has should be interesting, I'd like to see even though it's book two is the place she is sent to

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I read this a few weeks ago and really liked it. I liked the idea of this "perfect" society which really isn't so. Like others, it was a little bland but definitely an interesting concept. I hadn't heard that it was going to be made into a movie. I'm just hoping it doesn't down the same road as Twilight, which was a wonderful book but wasn't translated well on the big screen.

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I really liked this one too...but, Delirium is even better!

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Is Delirium the second book?

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments crossed i think is the 2nd

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen No Delirium is by Lauren Oliver - a similar theme/setting, but I just loved the storyline so much better. And the ending - AHHH!! It killed me!

Alicia No, Delirium is another (and highly similar) YA dystopian romance written by Lauren Oliver. The second book in the Matched series will be called Crossed.

Alicia Jen beat me! :)

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I will definitely read the sequel to Matched - Crossed - because I really liked that novel too. It definitely leaves you hanging...

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Oh, might have to check that one out.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I might have to check out delirum

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Turns out I already had delirum on my to be read list. I just love goodreads!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha i second the love

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I really liked Matched. I thought it was well written and I liked the storyline. That said, here is my stumbling block with the book (and why I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5), it is a TOTAL rip-off of The Giver by Lois Lowry. I felt like Ally Condie threw in a love triangle, and renamed the book. The ideas just were not original. That aside, I really enjoyed it. Not perfection, by any stretch, but still very good. I think it would be a great book to lure young girls who find The Hunger Games too violent, into the wonderful world of dystopian fiction.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I'm probably eventaully going to borrow hunger games from my friend, but yeah there were similarities wiht the giver which i hated, but in the giver they were nto even allowed to feel emotions towards their family which the women didn't even produce the children, ally condie went into a little more emotional aspects

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments the pills though reminded me of brave new world

message 27: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy I read this a while ago, and was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the hype. Luckily, I found it to be an awesome read! It wasn't as memorable as I'd hoped, but I greatly enjoyed it.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Karis wrote: "I really liked Matched. I thought it was well written and I liked the storyline. That said, here is my stumbling block with the book (and why I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5), ..."

I can understand why you feel that way- the whole time I felt like it was The Giver on steroids with romance... However, I think there was enough little things different to show she was influenced but did not rip off.

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I'm glad I haven't read The Giver. It's hard when you've read a book similar to another one because it's hard to not compare the two.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I had to read it in middle school, and brave new world in high school.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Amy wrote: "I'm glad I haven't read The Giver. It's hard when you've read a book similar to another one because it's hard to not compare the two."

You should read The Giver though- it is my favorite book of all time. It is one of the original YA dystopian books.

Julie S. I was not very satisfied by the ending. Maybe I can get the second book from the library when it comes out. That may have some more answers.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments that's my problem with series, I just want to know the ending!

Heather (heatherjoy) I haven't read "The Giver" so this material was fresh and new for me. I enjoyed the story and the characters very much. It took me about 70 pages to really get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down and I want to know what happens!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Haha yeah between that and Nightshade I remembered why I like picking series that are already a couple out, I need to know what happens!

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Just started Matched. Reminding me of Delirium and Hunger Games, to be honest. Just a different take.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I have completed Matched and am surprised how much it seems to model other books, e.g., The Giver, Delirium, etc. That is also why I only gave it 4 stars. I found the beginning to be rather tedious and only picking up towards the end -- but even then the writing seemed to be overdone. I will probably read the sequel, but I will most interested in if the writing improves.

What did people think about the relationship between Xander and Ky? I had trouble seeing the reasoning behind the connections.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Spoiler!!
I thought it was weird how the two guys were fine against the pills (the red I believe). I was like well that's convient!

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I agree Ottilie! I can't help but wonder how their relationship will end up in the next book too. it seems they are very co-dependent in some ways.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments That she is with the guys?

message 41: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty I've heard very mixed reviews on Matched. Many people love it and many people loathe it with passion. I'm wary of purchasing a copy myself because of the mixed reaction..

message 42: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I'm kind of in the middle. Interesting concept and story but it was sort of flat. The guys were just eh and the whole idea of the pills and stuff was weird.

Alicia Yeah, I was in the middle too. I gave it three stars, which means it wasn't awful but wasn't all that great either, so right in the middle for me. I think in some ways being "in the middle" or generally indifferent towards a book is actually one of the worst things you can say, because it means you didn't have any feelings for it and didn't care about it much. At least when you hate a book, you are having strong feelings and a strong reaction towards it, possibly some passion, but when you're just blah indifferent to a book that's almost a worse insult.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I gave the 4 stars because of the writing, but I really don't care for distopias.

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I like dystopias, but then I have to read something fluffy after because they depress me.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I don't blame you!

Brittany | 35 comments I definitely see this book has ties to The Giver (at least) and possibly Hunger Games...though it's a more recent book and I'm not entirely sure that Ally Condie had read that when she started writing this one, but who knows.

I've been reading a lot of reviews that are down on this book. It's boring, it's been done before, the society is uninteresting,etc.etc. The thing is...I don't think that's the point of the book. I don't even think the romance is the point of the book. In my opinion the real point is the slow buildup of Cassia's rebellion and her reasons for why.

I reviewed this book and in my review I mentioned how so many other YA Dystopian novels I have read recently completely or partially skip over the "WHY" of rebellion. Some kind of random or ridiculous circumstance might come up that forces the protagonist into action, and into rebellion, but in Matched we get to see Cassia choose. And she does have a choice. She can CHOOSE to keep her blinders on and live in the world she thinks is perfect and will provide her with the ultimate happiness, but she doesn't. And the point of the book is her buildup to that choice. It's slow...there's not a lot of action...not a lot of drama. The romance between her and Xander and Ky is, as others have put it, tepid...because it's not the focus. The focus is that Cassia has her blinders taken off...and she sees the society for what it really is and does. And she decides to do something about it in her own way. And so do those around her.

If tomorrow you found out that your country was doing something terrible, but it didn't NECESSARILY impact you, what would you do? Would you pretend you didn't see it? Would you be upset that you saw it and feel helpless in its scope?

Dystopian novels are about those people who take the next step. There are always hundreds, millions even, hiding in the shadows with a sour taste in their mouths. But there's always one whose story is interesting enough to tell. Perhaps not the most engrossing thing in the world. Perhaps it has a little tepid love mixed in. But it is worth telling.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Loved that comment Brittany.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments nicely put

Jessica Brittany - I think you put a lot of what I thought about Matched into words, much better than I would have been able to do.

I read Matched right when it came out, so it has been a few months now. I think Match suffered a bit from too much buzz, and for some people couldn't live up to raised expectations. Also I haven't read The Giver, so I don't have that comparison going on in my mind.

What I found interesting about this book as compared to some other dystopias, is that the main character starts the book not seeing much wrong with her world. In the Hunger Games, it's clear that Katniss understands the evil of her world. Here Cassia sees her world as a kind of utopia, the best possible world. Instead of dreading the matching ceremony, she has been looking forward to it her whole life. Little by little what is wrong with her society starts to become more clear to Cassia.

While I was reading Matched, the book stayed on my mind during the time I wasn't reading more than a book like The Hunger Games. While I like The Hunger Games more, Matched stayed on my mind. I think that was because until the end (when we learn more about how the society is run) most of what is wrong with the society in Matched seem like a bunch of little things that add up to something wrong. But I could easily see how each of the smaller liberties could be done away with , and how something similar could happen in our own societies.

« previous 1