Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Writing Music?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 137 (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
Well, lately I've been listening to Motion City Soundtrack while writing. It helps a lot. But that's just my playlist for my Dear World story.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments JIMI HENDRIX.

Seriously. Don't knock it till ya try it.

message 3: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Hmm...well I don't have anything specific I listen to when writing, though I almost always listen to something. Helps me get some sort of atmosphere going, even if what I'm writing directly clashes with it.

Usually though I tend to click with electronic music. Especially of the techno variety. The Future Sound of London for instance work fantastically well for me, as does Deepchord Presents Echospace. For me they perfectly balance a style that doesn't require your full attention and yet still gives off a loud atmosphere.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments I just listen to my favourite songs.....they make me feel good and put me in "writing" mode. I also listen to songs that go with my characters.

message 5: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments It depends on what I am writing about... I don't want to listen to Girly Preppy Pop when writing a death scene.... But yes I listen to music every minute of every day and accidentally fell asleep with my iPod on many times

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I always listen to music. What i listen to really depends on what the mood of the scene is, but I listen to a ton of music by Adam Young. *see name*

message 7: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments I listen to whatever comes on shuffle when I'm writing. Hah...but a really good song for the piece I'm working on is Slow Dancing In A Burning Room by John Mayer. Gets me every time...

message 8: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments It depends on the book on what genre of music is inspiring to me. Taylor Swift and Red are two of my biggest inspirations though.

message 9: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Carlyn wrote: "Nice! To all of you guys. :)
Baxter, I love The Future Sound of London. :)
I haven't ever really listened to Adam Young. I'm guessing I should? :P

I'm the same way. I always listen to music when I..."

Thiiis is why you are cool. The Future Sound of London is GREAT.

message 10: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Carlyn wrote: "Do you listen to music while writing? Why or why not? Do you have specific songs or a specific playlist that you like to write to? What are some of the songs? Do you have any recommendations? What ..."

Yes, I do listen to music when I'm writing. Ummm nothing in particular helps me. I just have to make sure it doesn't distract me too much. XD

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments Songs for my current story:

Just a Dream - Nelly
Fireflies - Owl City
Salaam E Ishq - No idea (It's a hindi song)
Dhoom Machale (hindi song)
A Place in this World - Taylor Swift
Live like there's no tomorrow - Selena Gomez
I'm just a kid - Simple Plan

message 12: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Vanessa Carlton, Arcade Fire, and The Airborne Toxic Event while I'm writing Unraveling ... <3 Goooood stuff.

Jayda wrote: "It depends on the book on what genre of music is inspiring to me. Taylor Swift and Red are two of my biggest inspirations though."

Red. <3

message 14: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Oooh Red is great :)

message 15: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

If I'm feeling like writing something particularly nasty, I'll often thrown on some Jay Munly to get those crazed southern inebriate ideas flowing.

Also, and this is weird, but I listen to a lot of UBER minimalist stuff. Like...thirty seconds of silence, then a beep, then more silence for a while (that's really describing one of my all-time favorite albums), but I cannot for the life of me write with it going on. It distracts me. I need my music to be full and have as much stuff or noise being thrown at me as possible if I'm going to write.

I have never heard of them. *goes to look of Yeasayer*

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments PEOPLE KNOW WHO RED IS?! :D
That made me happy :)

Oh, and Enrique Iglesias, right now... I don't know why, but he's inspiring me. I'm going to go try and write now.

message 18: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Carlyn wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Lately I've been listening to a lot of Vanessa Carlton, Arcade Fire, and The Airborne Toxic Event while I'm writing Unraveling ...

Arcade Fire <3"

YES! <3

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

atm I am writing while listening to The Script. *loooove*

message 20: by Tesni (last edited May 21, 2011 07:06AM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments I think it depends what book I'm working on. I listen to a lot of the Noisettes when I'm writing The Night is For Waking, but then loads of Laura Marling and Simone White for T2010NNWTCCT. If I'm working on short stories I mostly just hit the shuffle button on my iPod. I've made playlists for most of my novels, though, which put me in a particular mood.

Oh, and I find Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Sigur Rós really good writing music, mostly because there's a lot of long instrumental pieces.

message 21: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Carlyn wrote: "Ah! The Script! *loooove x2* :D"

Yaaayyy!! :D

message 22: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Carlyn wrote: "Ah! The Script! *loooove x2* :D"

*loooove x3*

They win.

message 23: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

They do, they do.

message 24: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Absolutely.

message 25: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
I write to anything (I like. I don't generally write to music I hate.) I usually pick a song that fits the scene I'm working on and play it over and over to pull as much emotion as I can into the scene.

message 26: by Elliott (new)

Sigur Ros. I should try listening to them.

message 27: by Tesni (last edited May 17, 2011 02:13PM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments You should.
They've been my favourite band for like three years, and are totally what got me into Scandinavian music.

message 28: by Elliott (new)

Scandinavian? Ooh.

message 29: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments T e s n i wrote: "I think it depends what book I'm working on. I listen to a lot of the Noisettes when I'm writing The Night is For Waking, but then loads of Laura Marling and Simone White for T2010NNWTCCT. If I'..."

Haha, I just realised that I put "Laura Marling and Simone White for..." and never filled the rest in. Fail. *edits*

message 30: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Lav wrote: "Scandinavian? Ooh."

*nodnod*.
But then after spending about two months in Denmark/Norway/Sweden I'm entirely intrigued by various aspects of Nordic culture anyway, so.

message 31: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Carlyn wrote: "Do you listen to music while writing? Why or why not? Do you have specific songs or a specific playlist that you like to write to? What are some of the songs? Do you have any recommendations? What ..."

Classical music. *blushes*

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments I LOOOOOVE CLASSICAL MUSIC. I'VE WORKED ON MY LATIN TO EPIC FILM SCORES.

message 33: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments CLASSICAL CLASSICAL CLASSICAL!

John Williams is the best composer, in my opinion.

message 34: by Elliott (new)

I love solo piano classical music. I mostly just love playing it though.

message 35: by Elliott (new)

What's that?

message 36: by Elliott (new)

That's interesting. xD

KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) (eurosweetheart) | 1536 comments Laaaaavvvvv!

message 38: by Elliott (new)

COURTNEY HOLY CRUMB I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES HI HI HI.

message 39: by Elliott (new)

Rebekka (hmm, yes) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "That's interesting. xD"
Most of the time I don't really pay attention to him. Thankfully, I actually did take the time to watch his review of "Baby ..."

*cracks up*

message 40: by Elliott (new)

Do you have any linkage?

KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) (eurosweetheart) | 1536 comments Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "COURTNEY HOLY CRUMB I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES HI HI HI."

I HAVEN'T BEEN ON IN FOREVER! I MISSED YOU!

message 42: by Elliott (new)

KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "COURTNEY HOLY CRUMB I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES HI HI HI."

I HAVEN'T BEEN ON IN FOREVER! I MISSED YOU!"

YOU HAVEN'T AND I MISSED YOU TOO! *tackles*

message 43: by Elliott (new)

Thanks. :) I shall watch it when I have the chance. :)

KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) (eurosweetheart) | 1536 comments Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "COURTNEY HOLY CRUMB I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES HI HI HI."

..."

BUT I'M BACK! *glomps*

message 45: by Elliott (new)

*glomps back* HOW HAVE YOU BEEN KITTYKITTY?

message 46: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Rebekka (hmm, yes) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "Do you have any linkage?"
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vide...

Thar ya' go. I suggest "Howard the D..."

I used to like the Nostalgia Critic. Then one day, I was like, "Wow! This guy is an unfunny jerkwad who really has no idea what he's talking about!" And then I stopped watching. Great story, I know.

Music keeps demanding too much attention for me to use it while doing other stuff nowadays. So I write to the sound of SILENCE.

message 47: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "I love solo piano classical music. I mostly just love playing it though."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUep...

message 48: by Tesni (last edited Jun 06, 2011 02:41PM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Baxter wrote: "Rebekka (hmm, yes) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "Do you have any linkage?"
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vide...

Thar ya' go. ..."

JOHN CAGE.
But if the joys of 4'33" fail you, his early works are huge fun.

message 49: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments re: film critics.

Sometimes, if I'm listening to the Kermode & Mayo film reviews while writing, my writing accidentally turns out really angsty and dark in a humorous manner.

message 50: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments ~Yue~ [Down the Rabbit Hole] wrote: "KittyKitty Fompledump (Courtney) wrote: "Lav [the only that I know how to feel] wrote: "COURTNEY HOLY CRUMB I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN AGES HI HI HI."

..."

XD

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.