Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > An interesting proposal

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I'm always interested in the proposal--when and how the couple finally decide to make a commitment to each other. When the author does it right it often tells us a great deal about the couple. I particularly like this one...

“Will you marry me, Hero? If I go to my brother and tell him that I very much want you for my husband, will you have me? I find that being your lover is satisfying after a fashion”—she adopted his wicked smile when his own expression turned wry—“but I am persuaded that being your wife will be infinitely better.”
“If you are persuaded, I would be a fool to argue.”
“Then you will marry me?”
“Of course.”
“But why was there never a proposal?”
“There was,” he said. “You just made it. Did I not say it was inevitable?”
Heroine turned suddenly so that she lay fully on top of him. “Do you mean that you’ve been waiting all this time for me to make it?”
“Well, yes.”
“But you’ve known for weeks that I would accept yours.”
“And I was very glad of it.” He grinned up at her. “It gave me hope that you could be brought around to just this end.”
“You manipulated me.”
“I gave you time to learn the bent of your own mind.”

message 2: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I have no idea, but it sounds good.

message 3: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
It sounds familiar.

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
So cool :))

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
I need to just cut and paste my response from every Monday Puzzler: "It sounds familiar, but I can't remember what it is."

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments No idea. :)

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Shoot, not ringing a bell...

message 8: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Its One Forbidden Evening, by Jo Goodman. The book starts with the heroine acting for the first time on her desires and her needs, as opposed to what the men in her life have organized for her---so to have the man she loves wait for her to propose to him (just as she approached him the first time) is a lovely arc in the book.

message 9: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
I knew it sounded familiar! :D