TV We've Just Watched discussion

New Season Talk > 2011 TV Talk

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holli (new)

Holli Has anything been standing out for you so far this year? I'm enjoying The Chicago Code a lot. I've yet to watch Mr. Sunshine but I have it in there to see. Criminal Minds spin-off was a huge NO in our house. We deleted the series after watching the first episode. Didn't care for it at all. Off The Map is just ok. I like it and I don't. Something keeps me watching it though. Traffic Light isn't any good but I do love Harry's Law!

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments I like Mr. Sunshine. You should check it out!

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine I really like Harry's Law. I am impressed with the writing and the subjects they tackle on the show. I'm not quite sure what their agenda is but it seems to want to bring more honor to the profession of law. Its a show that you feel good after watching.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I agree Christine. I didn't at all think it was going to be as good as it is. I love the "feel good" aspect of the show. It's just nice to have a show like it on TV again. And Kathy Bates is GREAT in it.

Stacy, we watched Mr. Sunshine yesterday and I love it!!! Great show!! Much better than Cougartown I think....

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan I am just loving Blue Bloods!!! I think it's the best new show--IMO anyway!!! I could watch Tom Selleck all day long.........LOL

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I started Blue Bloods but didn't get hooked and quit. I like Detroit 1-8-7 and I'm happy that Parks and Recreation is back.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm not hooked on Blue Bloods either.... I like it... it's good but I'm not totally sold on it.

message 8: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I've heard some positive chatter about Chicago Code but didn't realize it started yet.

I'm totally into Blue Bloods.

I caught 1 or 2 episodes of Mr. Sunshine and it was ok. Now that I think about it, I thought I had a timer set for it and yet, I've only seen 2 episodes?

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli I think there's been 3 episodes now of Mr. Sunshine... is that right everyone?

Chicago Code is really good. I like it alot.

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments Holli, I think you are right about 3 episodes for Mr. Sunshine.

Did anyone catch Kathy Najimy in the second episode, when she referred to Alison Janney's son as "Chastity Bono"? Best line of the show!

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli YES!! that was SOOO funny!!!

message 12: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Ok, so I only missed the premire episode of Mr. S. then

message 13: by Holli (new)

Holli "And they’re off! Fox popped the cork on the annual upfronts season by placing orders for four new series for the 2011-12 TV season.

Among Fox’s orders are the Bones spinoff The Finder, starring Geoff Stults and based on a “planted pilot” episode that aired last month, and Alcatraz, a time travel-flavored drama from Lost/Fringe VIP J.J. Abrams.

Also on Fox’s shopping list, two comedies: I Hate My Teenage Daughter, starring Jaime Pressly, and The New Girl, starring Zooey Deschanel as an unlucky-in-love school teacher who moves away from her ex-boyfriend and in with three unruly guys. (Of note, the New Girl ensemble includes Damon Wayans Jr., so the very funny fellow will have a job should Happy Endings not make the cut at ABC.)"

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli The Chicago Code has been cancelled for anyone who was watching that :(

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan I tried to get into it Holli but nothing grabbed at me!!

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli My boyfriend and I loved it.... it was a slow one... it took it's time getting started but got better and better.

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli NBC is the latest broadcast net to get a jump on “upfront” week, ordering four pilots to series including the Steven Spielberg-produced musical drama Smash, a romantic comedy starring Chelsea Lately mainstay Whitney Cummings (titled Whitney) and a remake of the Brit hit Prime Suspect starring Maria Bello.

The Peacock also gave a green light to the Christina Applegate sitcom Up All Night, which finds the Samantha Who? actress playing a working mother. Will Arnett costars as her husband.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli Harry's Law has been renewed.....

message 19: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments "Steven Spielberg-produced musical drama Smash" Whaaaa?
Seriously? I like SS but TV musical drama?

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli ABC Picks Up Charlie's Angels, Tim Allen Comedy,
by Natalie Abrams

ABC has given series orders to dramas Charlie's Angels, Good Christian Belles, Pan Am, Revenge, The River, Once Upon a Time and Shonda Rhimes' Scandal, as well as comedies starring Tim Allen, James Van Der Beek and Chris Moynihan. The network also canceled Brothers & Sisters, Mr. Sunshine, Detroit 187, Off the Map, No Ordinary Family and struggling alien-invasion drama V.

Considered an early lock at the network, Charlie's Angels (which TVGuide.com had spotlighted as one of its 11 Promising Pilots) is a Miami-set remake of the 1970s series starring Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh. Original series producer Leonard Goldberg, Drew Barrymore and Smallville's Miles Millar and Al Gough are all producing. Ramon Rodriguez and Robert Wagner also star as Bosley and Charlie, respectively. It comes as no surprise that ABC picked up Charlie's Angels, which already has a built-in brand and audience.

Set as a possible companion to Desperate Housewives, Good Christian Belles (previously known as Good Christan B----es) centers on former high school mean girl Amanda (Leslie Bibb), who, after her marriage ends in scandal, returns to Dallas, hoping for a second chance with those she once bullied. Darren Star (Sex and the City) is among the executive producers. Kristin Chenoweth, Jennifer Aspen, Miriam Shor, Marisol Nichols, Mark Deklin, David James Elliott, Brad Beyer and Annie Potts also star.

Following the underwhelming performance of Off the Map, ABC has invested in another Shonda Rhimes' drama, Scandal. The series stars Kerry Washington as a professional "fixer," or crisis management consultant. The show is based on the career of Judy Smith, who has guided such public figures as Monica Lewinsky and Michael Vick in their hours of need. Rhimes and Grey's Anatomy's Betsy Beers will executive-produce. The series also stars Lost's Henry Ian Cusick, Katie Lowes, Guillermo Diaz, Tony Goldwyn, Darby Stanchfield, Jeff Perry, Liza Weil and Columbus Short.

Hoping to capture the captive audience Lost brought in, the network has picked up Once Upon a Time, a drama from Lost scribes Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. The show centers on a woman (Jennifer Morrison) who travels to a town where fairy tales are real. Big Love's Ginnifer Goodwin will play Snow White, while Lana Parrilla will play the Evil Queen. Robert Carlyle, Josh Dallas, Raphael Sbarge, Jamie Dornan and Jared Gilmore will also star.

ABC has also ordered period drama Pan Am, which follows the stewardesses and pilots of the titular airline are the stars of this sexy soap set in the Jet Age of the 1960s. Jonah Lotan, Christina Ricci, Margot Robbie, Kelli Garner, Karine Vanasse and Michael Mosley will star. Jack Orman (ER) wrote the pilot and will executive-produce with Tommy Schlamme (The West Wing), who is also directing the pilot.

The Count of Monte Cristo's tale is retold in the modern era in Revenge. This adaptation stars Emily VanCamp as its leading character, who rents a house in the Hamptons for the summer. Mike Kelley (Swingtown) wrote the script and will executive-produce. Ashley Madekwe, Joshua Bowman, Gabriel Mann, Christa B. Allen, Madeleine Stowe, Henry Czerny, Connor Paolo and Nick Wechsler will star.

In The River, a famed adventurer and TV personality (Bruce Greenwood) goes missing in the Amazon, and his family (among them, Joe Anderson and Leslie Hope) tries to find him. Project comes from the team behind Paranormal Activity. Oren Peli and Jason Blum will executive-produce. Eloise Mumford, Thomas Kretschmann, Paulina Gaitan, Paul Blackthorne, Daniel Zacapa and Shaun Parkes will also star.

On the comedy side, Tim Allen is returning to television in Last Man Standing, which was created by 30 Rock's Jack Burditt and Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum). Tim Fitzgerald (Allen) is fighting for his manhood in a world that is being increasingly dominated by women, including his wife (Nancy Travis). Hector Elizondo will also star.

Apartment 23 follows a bright-eyed Midwestern girl (Dreama Walker) who moves to New York, where she finds herself living with her worst nightmare (Krysten Ritter). American Dad's Nahnatchka Khan wrote the pilot. James Van Der Beek, Eric Andre and Michael Blaiklock will also star.

Man Up is a unique look at what it takes to survive as a modern man, as told through the eyes of three best friends (Chris Moynihan, Mather Zickel and Dan Fogler) and the women in their lives. Moynihan (A Mighty Wind), Ron West (Backdraft) and Kelly Kulchak (Psych) will executive-produce. Teri Polo, Amanda Detmer, Jake Johnson and Henry Simmons also star.

message 21: by Holli (new)

Holli Sarah Michelle Gellar's Ringer Gets Picked Up — By The CW
May 13, 2011 05:53 PM ET
by Natalie Abrams

In a surprising twist, The Ringer, originally set at CBS, has been picked up by sister network The CW, Deadline.com reports.

The Ringer (which TVGuide.com had spotlighted as one of its 11 Promising Pilots) stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as a troubled recovering alcoholic on the run from some shady characters who hides out by assuming the identity of her wealthy twin sister. One problem: Her sibling has a bounty on her head as well.

Eric Carmelo and Nicole Snyder (Supernatural) will executive-produce the project, which marks Gellar's return to television after her seven-season run on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

message 22: by Holli (new)

Holli CBS Picks Up J.J. Abrams' Person of Interest, Two Broke Girls Comedy
May 13, 2011 05:12 PM ET
by Natalie Abrams

CBS has ordered J.J. Abrams' drama Person of Interest and the comedy Two Broke Girls to series.

Person of Interest reunites Abrams with Lost star Michael Emerson, who will play a billionaire who recruits a presumed-dead CIA agent (Jim Caviezel) to catch violent criminals in New York City. Memento's Jonathan Nolan and will also executive-produce. Taraji P. Henson and Kevin Chapman also star.

From Whitney Cummings, whose other pilot was just picked up by NBC, Two Broke Girls stars Beth Behrs and Kat Dennings as two girls from very different backgrounds who work as waitresses in New York, hoping to start their own business. The project was co-written by Sex and the City's Michael Patrick King.

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli NBC Picks Up Four Comedies
May 13, 2011 01:27 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

NBC has ordered four more comedies, including projects from Chelsea Handler, Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet. In addition, the network has picked up Chuck for a fifth and final season, and has canceled The Event, Law & Order: Los Angeles and Outsourced.

Based on Handler's best-selling book, Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea (which TVGuide.com had spotlighted as one of its 11 Promising Pilots) centers on an outspoken, sexually aggressive young woman (Laura Prepon) who works in a bar, where she drinks away its profits, avoids her eccentric father (Lenny Clarke) and goes home with the clientele. Handler will executive-produce.

Free Agents stars Azaria as a recent divorcé who finds love at a talent agency with Kathryn Hahn's character, who just lost her fiancé. John Enbom, Todd Holland, Karey Burke and Kenton Allen will executive-produce. Anthony Head, Natasha Leggero, Al Madrigal, Joe Lo Truglio and Mo Mandel will also star.

Peet will headline Bent, a single-camera project from Scrubs producer Tad Quill about a recently divorced single mom (Peet) who's fighting her attraction to her hunky contractor (David Walton). Joey King, Margo Harshman, Susan Park, Rick Gonzalez, Pasha Lychnikoff and Jeffrey Tambor will also star.

The network also picked up BFFs (fka the Untitled Parham-St. Clair Project), from actresses Lennon Parham (Accidentally on Purpose) and Jessica St. Clair (Worst Week), about a woman and her live-in boyfriend, who take in her best friend after a divorce.

That order brings the total of NBC's pick-ups to 11: six comedies and five dramas. The network has already ordered Up All Night, starring Christina Applegate and written by Parks & Recreation writer Emily Spivey, as well as a comedy from Whitney Cummings. On the drama side, the network invested in Steven Spielberg's Smash; Prime Suspect, starring Maria Bello; The Playboy Club; Grimm and Awake.

message 24: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments *sigh* so much new, when they got rid of a few perfectly good and still entertaining olds. :-( I'm still not over Brothers & Sisters.

message 25: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments Kara DioGuardi's songwriting reality show starts May 30th on Bravo. I think Jewel is also in it.

http://www.people.com/people/article/...

message 26: by Holli (new)

Holli I'd like to see that.... thanks Stacy!

message 27: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments I thought Platinum Hit (the songwriting show on Bravo with Kara DioGuardi and Jewel) was really interesting. Lots of "personalities" among the contestants, of course!

Naturally, I'm familiar with Kara from American Idol, but Jewel seems a little reserved.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainm...

message 28: by Holli (new)

Holli I have it on the DVR Stacy but haven't watched it yet. I'm glad to hear it's good. I heard that Jewel seemed really buttoned up on the show which is surprising because she's not supposedly like that at all in real life. Maybe she felt she needed to be or maybe she'll relax some as the show goes on?

message 29: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments This show was literally on when I turned the TV on late one night. I only caught the end of an episode where each group sang and then the judges decided. It did seem kind of interesting putting a bunch of song writers together to write something. I assumed from what I noticed about the songs they were given a theme or a line to use. Interesting. I may turn it on again.

message 30: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm halfway thru it now and I really like it so far!

message 31: by Holli (new)

Holli I started a thread for The Voice in the Reality TV folder

message 32: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kheckart) | 456 comments TNT is really promoting their new Sci-Fi series called Falling Skies. I think it starts soon and I will probably check it out. It looks like another alien invasion on Earth, but V didn't make it so not sure if the alien invasion premise works well.

message 33: by Holli (new)

Holli Harry's Law has been cancelled. This is one I loved and I'm sad it wasn't renewed.

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli Person of Interest and 2 Broke Girls were renewed

message 35: by Holli (new)

Holli Unforgettable has been cancelled