Irish Readers discussion

MARCH READS

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dem (new)

Dem Count me in, look forward to it.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments What you thinking about reading ??

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) im in, sounds good to me :) any suggestions?

message 4: by Dem (new)

Dem Have not done clubread on line, but belong to a local bookclub and we each nominate a book which would be suitable for group reading and vote on which one will make the read. I agreee would be happy reading anything except YA.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) some suggestions i have on my to-read shelf,

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Hello Heartbreak by Amy Huberman

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

The Postcard Killers by James Patterson

im open to any suggestions, would be nice to discuss book together in march, need to decide about a week beforehand to order the book we are going to read :)

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) oops, didnt read your email before i posted, sorry :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Hey The Road by Comac McCarthy was suggested to me as a great read ... But as said once were all agreed il read anything!!

message 8: by Dem (last edited Feb 21, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

Dem I am going to nominate To Kill a Mockingbird as its a good book club book but also love! love! love! The Road as well.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments I read to Kill a Mockingbird...But I don't mind reading it again.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Haven't done it either ... Maybe Dem can explain if she has done it or some one else ??

message 11: by Dem (new)

Dem Have done both for bookclubs but am open to any book as love new ideas too just looking at emmas list and good books there as well, Think Vicki you should choose the book for the first month as its your idea and you can get us kick started!

message 12: by Dem (last edited Feb 21, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Dem In Bookclub We would have a list of questions downloaded on the book and passed around and then discuss them in order and rate book out of 10 at end of night, but not sure how it works on line. Will have to look at other groups to see how it works.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Never heard of that book we could give it ago if all is agreed

message 14: by Martina (new)

Martina O | 9 comments Vicki wrote: "So does any one want to read the same book in March and discuss it at the end of the Month?"

Count me in also.

message 15: by Martina (new)

Martina O | 9 comments Good idea, count me in!

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

Hi All

I'm in an online reading group and how it works is you have a moderator, who leads the discussion. I volunteer Vicki as this is her idea, then you spend a week or two putting your thoughts and opinions forward, but no spoilers, after a few weeks when everyone has finished then there is a spoiler thread.

The book I put forward is Room by Emma Donoghue. But am happy with all of the above choices

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Sounds like a great idea Vicki!!! I agree with Starsam...Vicki for Moderater!!! haha!

Once the book is agreed on, maybe we should start a new thread dedicated to that book?

Can a poll be set up to vote on the books?

Also my nomination is American Gods, because I'm just after buying it. Haha! I've been meaning to read The Road for a long time though so I'd be up for that.

message 18: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Also, can I just make a suggestion. Could people link the books that they'd like to read. I've done that on the above post. It'll make it easier to quickly check out your suggestion.

Its easy to do. Just click on "add book/author" above where your type your comment and search for the book you want to link.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Thanks for the tip. I've now linked the book.

I also suggested my choice of book as I have just brought it. Tee Hee.

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Looks like a good read Starsam. I'd be up for reading that at some stage!

message 21: by Martina (new)

Martina O | 9 comments Hi all, I voted for One Day. Looking forward to starting the reading club!

message 22: by Dem (new)

Dem Thanks Vicki, I Just voted American Gods.

message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) Thanks for organising Vicki - practice for voting in GE on friday...
might struggle to source the book for start of March -still just about sticking to new year's resolution to get 95% from library :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve voted but it look’s like there’s a runaway leader. As long as I can get this from the Library I’m in. I am also trying, and believe me it’s not easy, not to buy any books for the next few months, but to use the library more and swap books with friends.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Hey I voted also... I think Its great that there is alot of interest in this group : )

message 26: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Wow...seems like we've had a lot of interest in this. Nice one!

Now lets hope that we all actually read the book that's picked. Ha!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Is that what we were voting for? I thought we were picking our favourite or something. (Facepalm!)

message 28: by memoirsofgeisha (new)

memoirsofgeisha (shellybelly33) | 8 comments Interested in this as well, what book has been picked?

message 29: by memoirsofgeisha (new)

memoirsofgeisha (shellybelly33) | 8 comments American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Sorry hadn't read the forum fully have just voted for American Gods sounds like a good read.

message 30: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) See if he can add you as a moderator Vicki. Would be handy if someone using the group regularly had admin controls.

Woohoo...American Gods is catching up!

message 31: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Maybe we could contact Goodreads if we can't get in touch with him? I'm sure they'd help us out.

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie Boland | 2 comments Emma wrote: "some suggestions i have on my to-read shelf,

Secret Scripture is excellent

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Hello Heartbreak by Amy Huberman

My Sister's Keeper by Jo..."

Vicki wrote: "Ok why dont we just suggest one book each by Wednesday next week and then take a vote to decide. Im gonna have a think about it and suggest one tomorrow, i have loads i want to read but will whitt..."

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read American Gods, too. It was OK, but I think we can do better. Why not another Neil Gaiman?

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Well i have heard that Neverwhere by Gaiman is meant to be very good. American Gods is his most recent, isn't it?

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) I voted American Gods. Wouldn't mind seeing Room win though, everyone should read that one!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

American Gods was released in 2001. (I only know that because the book is beside me.) Maybe Neverwhere could be nominated for the the April Read? I've heard only good things about it.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Vicki wrote: "hey declan, i'll start a thread at the start of march for the april nominations and i'll include Neverwherein the polls"

Thanks, Vicki. I'll be sure to vote for it.