Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > March Read Discussion: The Blade Itself (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie Won for our March group read.

It's an excellent book. I thought so, at least. So, let's discuss!

message 2: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments topic: Monthly Read: Epic Fantasy > March Read Discussion: Assassin's Apprentice (Spoilers)

you should change the name of the topic.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Oops...Thanks for the heads up!

message 4: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) Just finished it. It was okay. I don't think I could deal with another description of Glotka walking up stairs though. I can definitely sense some nuclear warfare parallels coming. What about you?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Just wait until the second book, Lou: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lou (new)

Lou (loumassignani) Chris wrote: "Just wait until the second book, Lou: Glotka goes down the stairs too."

Damn you! I couldn't help myself, just had to read your spoiler. Now I might as well not even
pick it up

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Sorry, Dawn. I guess that ruined the whole series.

message 8: by Dawn (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:15PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Chris wrote: "Sorry, Dawn. I guess that ruined the whole series."

Dawn? lol :)

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Oh shit. Well. It sounded like something smartassy you'd say. LOL.

OK, I admit it. I was thinking of you at the time.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) LOL :)

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'm not stalking you much though. Promise.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) No worries, if I had to have a stalker you'd be my first choice ;)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Awww. Now that's sweet.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I thought Glokta's italicized thoughts got very annoying in the third book. I didn't mind all the going up and down stairs, though. I imagine it might be very painful, after what he'd been through. Sort of adds to his grumpy character, imo.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I plan on reading this a little later this month, just by the way.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I love Glotka, actually. Perhaps (in part at least) because of his italicized thoughts.

Haven't read the third one yet though.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Have you read Blade Itself before, Dawn?

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Chris, I felt the same way. And Glotka remains a favorite character for me. But for some reason, those italicized thoughts really got annoying in the third book. I'm not sure why. I think it might have been that there was so many more of them it sort of interrupted the flow of the story. I'm not sure. I'll have to reread it.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) That's definitely on my TBR-soon list. It messes with my head to have 2/3 of a series complete.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Nope, I'm an Abercrombie virgin. I have high hopes for it though!

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I've read everything but Heros. Funny since I was anticipating it so much. Now I've had it for close to a month. LOL

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I own all of them except Heros.. So they better be good!!! lol :)

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments The Northmen rule! Nine Fingers is another favorite of mine.

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Dawn, I'm sure you will like these books. I hope you will, anyway.

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments I received this the other day and hope to get to it quickly...I read Best Served Cold and really liked it so I am sure I will like this too

message 26: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I thought the Blade Itself was better then Best Served Cold, i still haven't finished the series though and i am not sure i will either. Glokta is my favorite character, i liked Logan too, but i was bit annoyed with his catch phrase "You have to be realistic about these things" after reading it the millionth time.

message 27: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments He is one tough repetetive dude:)

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments During the course of this month, please remind me I have to give this book at least 150 pages. :)

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Same style and world as Best Served Cold, so you should like it, Maggie.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I just started this late last night/this morning. I'm only about 35 pages in, but already that one dude is talking about stairs. I'm afraid it's going to drive me nuts only because I read about it here first, lol :)

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments LOL

Get used to it, Dawn. There are lots of stairs, after all.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Bah! "that one dude" is Glotka. He's the best sneering, abrasive, cynical bastard since Severus Snape.

message 33: by Dawn (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Glotka. I knew it was something like that. I was thinking Gothka. Give me a break, I've read 30 pages of it. By the end I should have the name down! But for now, I shall dub him "that one dude" and you shall like it :)

message 34: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments It's actually Glokta not Glotka.

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Ah, blah. "That one dude" will work for me, too many possibilities for misspellings with his name as it is :)

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments let's call him the torture dude

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) That one torture dude. Works for me! :)

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments :-)

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Ahh fuck it. I corrected Dawn then got corrected on my correction. That's what I get for showing off.

message 40: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 114 comments Waiting for a copy from the library, but hope to get to this soon...

message 41: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) This is kind of funny.. I was just reading the back cover blurb on my book. In one paragraph it says "Glokta", in another it says "Glotka". LOL :P

message 42: by Robert (new)

Robert MacAnthony (steerpike7) | 218 comments I'm about 100 pages in and I like it, but I feel it is a bit of a let down after Best Served Cold. Perhaps my view will change as I move further into it. I can't see myself disliking anything by Abercrombie, however.

message 43: by Jason (last edited Mar 05, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I felt that the second, Before They Are Hanged, is the best of the series. The first is more of an introduction to scene and situation, the second one is where things get sticky, and the third book is where everything explodes.

message 44: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Brown (matthewjbrown) | 218 comments I agree with Jason here, on which of the three is best.

Of the viewpoint characters in this, I loved the bits with Logen, and I'd agree that of all the peoples, he writes the Northmen with the most passion.

I'm halfway through Best Served Cold, though, and I think it's a better book. Perhaps because there are fewer viewpoints I dislike. I wanted to kick Jezal in the nuts almost all the time.

message 45: by Jason (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Jezal is so much an idiot, I think most people want to kick him in the nuts most of the time, then maybe add an additional kick to the face for good measure. LOL

I really enjoyed his growth, though, through out the series. He is such an idiot that he often gets himself into embarrassing, if not painful, situations that made me laugh nearly every time.

message 46: by Dawn (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:59AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) So I'm about 200 pages in, and so far it's still just "ok". I'm not really bored, but not blown away by any means.. Right now I have no idea where the plot is going. It's like we get these little glimpses into what different characters are doing, but nothing connects yet. I'm sure that will change, this book couldn't possibly be so popular if it kept meandering as it is right now.. I just hope it picks up soon! I want to be drawn in already, damnit! :)

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have started this book before - a year or two ago - and couldn't much get past 50 or so pages. I have since collected this book back from mom and I PROMISE I will try again. That being said, I'll attempt to give this book at least 100-150 pages.

I'm starting to feel this club's book reads are more heavily influenced by testosterone...I want a female protagonist!! :-D

message 48: by Dawn (last edited Mar 07, 2011 10:39AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I just finished part one, and it's starting to catch me more. There are more Logan scenes, which I feel drawn to, so there's that at least!

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Brown (matthewjbrown) | 218 comments His next, Best Served Cold, has a female protagonist, although obviously as a mercenary captain she's not exactly nice either, even before the motivation for a revenge tale occurs.

message 50: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Matthew wrote: "His next, Best Served Cold, has a female protagonist, although obviously as a mercenary captain she's not exactly nice either, even before the motivation for a revenge tale occurs."

I liked her, she is also pretty tough.

« previous 1 3