Amazon Kindle discussion

What Did I Consider Important?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments So, there I was, happily not really watching TV and surfing the internet and ...

The fire alarm goes off.

Not the normal little battery operated guys that warn me that I've burnt some toast ... oh no. At 2130 on a freezing cold night, that's never the kind that goes off ... the building wide system for my high-rise. I vaguely hear "the voice" in the hallway ... "There has been an emergency reported in your building. Evacuate immediately," it says, calmly. Over and over and over again.

So I grab some socks and shoes, but not the envelope of important personal documents that I should put in a safe deposit box. Those I leave in the dresser drawer.

What do I grab instead? My Kindle.

And before I dash out into the night to learn of the fate of my building ... I realize I have to nip back into the bedroom for my book light, since it's kind of dark out there in the parking lot, and I might need to pass the time reading.

There was damage to the building, but not my apartment, actually got cleared to return by 2300.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments It seems like a very reasonable thing to take! Maybe grab the personal documents too but definitely take the Kindle! Glad all was well!

message 3: by أثير (new)

أثير (atheer_suliman) I don't consider the device of Kindle itself is important as much as what your kindle's account holds. Because if u loose the device u can always buy a new one and connect it with your account.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Leblanc | 6 comments I love it...you must have something great you are reading at the moment. Care to share?

message 5: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 11 comments Im glad your apartment was not affected by the fire.!

I guess not many people understands our affection towards avid reading,but we do! :) were i, in a situation like that i think i would do something along the line... xxxxxxx

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments Exactly! After all, if stuck outside your apartment for long you would need something to read! We all understand that!!
Autumn wrote: "I guess not many people understands our affection towards avid reading,but we do! :) were i, in a situation like that i think i would do something along the line... xxxxxxx "

message 7: by stormhawk (last edited Feb 20, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Laura wrote: "I love it...you must have something great you are reading at the moment. Care to share?"

Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and George RR Martin's 4th Song Fire and Ice book, A Feast for Crows.

I ended up not reading anything, of course, because I was watching the firemen do their thing, and realized that it was the trash room. Again. There have been four actual trash room fires since I've lived here, along with one too-dry pot roast and some fried chicken.

The smoke pouring out of the building cleared as soon as the firemen dragged the dumpster into the parking lot and started putting the wet stuff on the hot stuff. From that I figured out that the building itself wasn't burning. A lot of the damage was water. They were rolling hose within about an hour of the alarm going off.

I have more expensive stuff in the house, but nothing as portable or entertaining as the Kindle.