Booker List discussion

Best Bookers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deena (new)

Deena | 2 comments Hi. I'm new to the group and to goodreads.

I thought it might be nice to share thoughts on the best bookers (short list mostly) from the past.

I've been reading through some from years ago and came across Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively which I thought was great.

Another Bookers that has really stuck with me over the years include The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor.

Anyone else have Best of suggestions?

message 2: by BookScout (new)

BookScout I am currently working my way through the Longlists/Shortlists of every Booker and one of my favs is Moon Tiger!
Best 3 so far:
1. Waterland by Graham Swift (1984)
2. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (1996)
3. Cloud Atlas by David Nitchell (2004)

I've read about 33 so far - still a long long way to go...

message 3: by Deena (new)

Deena | 2 comments Oh, yes, I loved A Fine Balance. It was an outstanding book.

I'll have to give the other two you suggest a try. Thanks.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetg2010) | 6 comments i am still a very long ways away from reading all the winners, but my favorite is the remains of the day. another one that i particularly enjoyed was the blind assassin. i think i will try moon tiger.

message 5: by BookScout (new)

BookScout What's everyones least favourite? - the one to avoid?
Personally I couldn't get thru The Enchantress of Florence and I adore Rushdie - I just didn't know who was who or what was happening...??

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetg2010) | 6 comments i haven't come across one that i hated. i'm not too fond of amsterdam.

message 7: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 1 comments I love Margaret Atwood and Ian McEwan. I think I like about 75% of the Booker winners. I can't get into Amis jr. or sr.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Burke | 2 comments Oh, I love the Amises. And I'm a feminist, go figure. I can't resist their characterizations, prose style, and wit. Kingsley can also do silly, Martin not so much (too uptight). Kingsley's The Old Devils may not really have deserved a Booker, but it was pure pleasure to read (there aren't enough books about old people getting hammered, having love affairs, and nursing ego-grudges against old rivals).

I also love Margaret Atwood and Rohinton Mistry. Rushdie, not so much. Too florid, for me.

I love this group!

message 9: by BookScout (new)

BookScout Hi Rebecca
Good to hear from a Margaret Atwood fan. Probably my favourite is Alias Grace - though it's not shouted about as much as it should be. Couldn't finish Year of the Flood...

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise My favorite was A Handmaid's Tale, with Alias Grace as my next favorite. I did finish Year of the Flood and Oryx and Crake but I found both of them hard going.

message 11: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessie1222) | 1 comments I just read The Elected Member, 1970 winner, by Bernice Rubens. Tight, intense, a peek into the life of a Jewish family in London in the 60's. Father, daughter, and an ill son. Riveting.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Burke | 2 comments I don't know why this thread has so little action. It's too bad because we're in rich territory.

The Elected Member sounds really good. I know a little about Rubens, but didn't realize she had won a Booker, or that she went all the way back to 1970!

Re: Saint Margaret. I probably enjoyed A Handmaid's Tale as much as anything, and Alias Grace a close second, but also loved the book A Cat's Eye (is that title right?!)for its depiction of the world of young girls--very accurate and intense. I enjoyed Oryx and Crake but gave up on Year of the Flood--too many whimsical names and didn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. Cartoonish.

It turns out Atwood is a regular Twitterer--funny. Hope that doesn't slow down her writing!

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetg2010) | 6 comments Rebecca wrote: "I don't know why this thread has so little action. It's too bad because we're in rich territory.

The Elected Member sounds really good. I know a little about Rubens, but didn't realize she had wo..."

I agree, it seems like such a fun, fertile topic of discussion.

message 14: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan | 2 comments Hello all. I'm new but thought I'd a few thoughts. I'm also trying to get through the Man Booker lists but have confined myself to the last ten years. Have got through fewer than 10 in six months though because of cmy love of sci fi and historical fiction too (the latter is my guilty pleasure). Currently on 'Sense of an Ending', which won this year; it's okay but doesn't seem as compelling or inventive a the Booker Prize tends to be. I expected Pidgin English to win, which is one of my favourites I have to admit.
Favouite of the ten I've read so far have to be: 'The White Tiger' and 'The Long Song'. I gave up on 'The Finkler Question as it's really not my thing and struggle with Salman Rushdie so can't go there I think!
I also love Margaret Atwood but Sarah Waters is probably my favourite contemporary writer. Was surprised when The Little Stranger was nominated in 2009 though as it's really not her best!

message 15: by Rafael (new)

Rafael | 1 comments Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller is by far my favorite short lister.

message 16: by Lesley (last edited Apr 15, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Lesley I've recently joined this group in an attempt to get some of the winners read. My favourite to date is True History of the Kelly Gang; loved it.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments I LOVED The Sense of an Ending, Remains of the Day, Life of Pi and The English Patient

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina McCreary (soapygina) | 4 comments There are so many great ones and I agree with many that have been mentioned so far. "A Month in the Country" by JL Carr and "The Sea, the Sea" by Iris Murdoch and for something a little lighter "Restraint of Beasts" by Magnus Mills or "Headlong" by Michael Frayn. These are just a few of my favourites that haven't been mentioned yet.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina McCreary (soapygina) | 4 comments I just finished Goshawk Squadron shortlisted 1971 and it was excellent. If you go in for the wisdom of crowds, any of the older titles that are still in print are likely to be the best ones. Good luck finding a copy of the first winner.