Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Blogs! > Traditional book-sellers falling victim to new technologies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (flyingfinish) | 29 comments Borders/Angus&Robertson: the first to fall victim to the internet

This week we heard the news that Angus & Robertson have gone into receivership, a victim to new technology. My gut feeling is that what's happened to Borders/A&R is only the tip of the iceberg.Prediction: the impact of the internet on traditional publishers and book-sellers will be of similar magnitude to Caxton's press which wiped out the illuminated book industry.

In a pincer manoeuvre,book-sellers are being attacked on two fronts by e-books and on-line shopping. Since my daughter, late thirties bought a Kindle, she has given up buying books. At a third of the cost of a paperback, she is reading more than ever. But it's not just Generation X & Y that are eschewing book stores.

Yesterday, during our lunch break, I helped a female teacher, (well past retirement age), to down load 'Loeb's Life of the Caesars Vol 2'." Now, as you can tell from the title, it's not the sort of book that you're likely to find in your local book store, so my friend was delighted to learn that she would receive the book in just 7 days. What a huge saving in time and frustration. But on top of that, by using Book Depository, she paid just $25.95 as opposed to $45.00 and there was no freight charge. I won't be surprised if she buys all her text books online from now on.

More and more book sellers and book stores will go the way of Borders/A&R - it's regrettable but that's the price we pay for progress. The printing press put a handful of monks out of business and an army of printers were made redundant when offset printing replaced lino-type so, inevitably there will be causalities as on-line shopping and e-books becomes the norm. But life is always moving forward, always changing. Trying to stem online shopping and e-books is as useless as trying to halt a volcano with a stop sign.
http://annmasseyauthor.net/
http://thebiocideconspiracy.com

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments One of the borders by me is closing. They are having a huge sale to get ride of everything. It's a double edge sword, yay sales, boo to such a pretty store closing.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) My Borders is closing as well. I am bummed.

message 4: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments this one was 2 stories! Its not that old either!

message 5: by S.S. (new)

S.S. (ssrice) | 75 comments Our Borders is closing too. Such a bummer, since it did a lot of business and the staff thought they were safe from layoffs. Just two yrs old.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) My Borders is always busy too S.S. :(

message 7: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 43 comments I do agree that more and more booksellers will go out of business.

However, DVD's have not killed movie theaters. They HAVE diminished the number--used to be every neighboorhood has a theater.

There are still persons who prefer actual books and like to visit actual bookstores. It will take some time for e-books to take over the entire market. There will be a period of years where regular bookstores and internet/ebook will co-exist.

I do however forsee a time where a large city may only have two of three bookstores.

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Me I prefer actual books I don't picture myself getting an e-reader.

message 9: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 20, 2011 09:13AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) DVD's killed VHS. Blue Ray will eventually kill DVD. Tapes killed Records, CD's killed tapes, MP3's will eventually kill CD's.

DVD's might kill movie theaters if the movies were released to DVD the same day they were released to the Theater. It's not quite the same thing. You can get an e-book online the same day that the Hardback is released. It may be different if you had to wait to get the e-book when the paperback was released.

I think that e-books have aided the downfall of bookstores, but even more so is the Online purchasing. I know that I am more likely to order a Hardback book from Amazon at $12-$16 then I am to go spend $25-$30 at a bookstore.

At the same time this is what made me so afraid to get a Kindle in the first place. I've always said that I don't want to live in a world that doesn't hve bookstores or printed books. Alot of people say that it's never going to happen but seeing what's happening to Borders, who used to be the 'Amazon', and know that Barnes & Noble is also struggling just feels like a glimpse of how this is going to impact the future.

I did buy a Kindle, but I try to counteract that by still buying regular books at the bookstore, and buying the books I loved as an e-book in print (Like Anna and the French Kiss). I won't ever be just an e-book reader.

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Amazon for me is easier and cheaper, I went to a barnes and nobles near me thinking I'd support it it was twice what I would have paid on their website

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I agree with Catie. I think online retailers (mostly Amazon) have contributed to the demise of book stores more than ebooks.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (flyingfinish) | 29 comments What can you do? I used to work for an afternoon paper - TV news killed them off - it hurts but that's progress.

message 13: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 20, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Our Newspaper closed down too. We get a paper on Sunday only. Otherwise we have to look online for our updates.

It reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movies.

"You'd sooner hold back the tide then tame the mountains."

You can't halt progress. You can't stop people from surging forward, even if it's maybe not for the best.

☼Book her, Doesn't  Like New GR Format☼  (ren_t) How often is this spamming by Anne going to take place?

message 15: by amy (new)

amy (asmith519yahoocom) | 80 comments all 3 Borders stores in austin are closing. :( too sad, we'll miss them.

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Pam wrote: "How often is this spamming by Anne going to take place?"

hopefully that was the last of it

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (flyingfinish) | 29 comments Wendy F wrote: "Our Newspaper closed down too. We get a paper on Sunday only. Otherwise we have to look online for our updates.

It reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movies.

"You'd sooner hold b..."

Good quote, it sums up the situation exactly.

message 18: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka This is sad that bookstores are closing. But I have to admit myself, I rarely buy books in bookstores, I do my shopping on Amazon too, it's much cheaper.. >.>

message 19: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I got my "must have's" at Borders. Sometimes it's hard because I want a book now, I don't want to wait for them to ship it for me.