Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > What do you like in a book review?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
For those of you who read book review blogs, could you spare a minute and help me out? Over at my blog, I'm asking what you as readers want in a book review. What makes a review good and useful to you?

If you have a second, could you reply over at that post?

Thanks!

message 2: by jD (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 152 comments Good Question:
I want to know right off if it's Young Adult.
I want to know how realistic the characters are and if there are too many to remember names (hate that).
I want to know how well developed the world building is.
I want to know if the magical element is a big part of the story and if it's well conceived, original.
I want to know if there is a love story weaved in there along with the science fiction or fantasy.
I want to know if there is any humor.
Pacing is important -- if they are long winded describing a tree, that could be a problem.
I want to know if there is a cliffhanger, that's a big one.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I posted a little over there. I wasn't real specific but just generally what I like to see.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 117 comments I posted on your blog :)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) I agree about the YA part; I want to know that from start. I also like a very small (like 3-5 lines) synopsis of the plot, because sometimes I'm bored to open another site like GR and try to read the description there. I want to know a couple of things about the characters: are they arrogant, humorous, self-dependant, TSTL, stupid, witty, cold, loving, etc. The characters are very important to me and I might decide not to read a book solely based on them. I want to know if there's romance at all or not. And if there's something that really bugged the reviewer, I'd like to read a spoiler free version/warning of it. If for example the hero changes gender in the middle of the book, I'd like to read a warning that he does change signifigantly midlength and not for the better.
Also agree about the cliffhanger; I have to know if it's there or not.

message 6: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (cjarcher) | 49 comments I made a post at your blog but also wanted to comment here, as this is a really good question. JD's comment above has some great points. Generally, I want to know if the book was un-put-downable, average or really bad. And then I want your reasons why you categorize it that way. Sometimes a book can have problems but you still love it and I want to know that too.