Q&A with Chef Eric Ripert discussion

Favorite Recipes

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Ripert (ericripert) | 37 comments Mod
One of my favorite things to cook and eat is roast chicken. The stuffing in this Roasted Chicken Recipe from Avec Eric contains za'atar, a fantastic Middle Eastern spice blend. What are your favorite recipes and ingredients?

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Gordon (tinaj_gordon) | 2 comments Mario Batali has a simple but delicious roast chicken recipe glazed with red wine and balsamic vinegar.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kgresko) Za'atar is a wonderful herb to cook with. Sumac as well. Anything Middle Eastern is a delight, and yet with chicken there a thousand different ways to prepare. One of my favorite television episodes, and I want to say it was Avec Eric, but I am not sure, was when you were cooking in the mountains and made a makeshift stove near some rocks. Good friends, fresh ingredients, and mountain air! I was so envious and have put this on my 'to do' list for someday!
Be well!
Kathy

JoAnn/QuAppelle I also like za'atar and plan to try your stuffing.

My favorite new seasoning is Aleppo Pepper:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/c... (I buy all of my spices from this place and have for 15 years).

Will post some favorite recipes later...

message 5: by Lacey (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:56AM) (new)

Lacey zustiak (cookinglvr) | 8 comments I enjoy a good meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes. I love to cook comfort foods. But, I also really like greek food ingredients, feta cheese, oregano, lemon, and lamb (solvalki).
But, anything chocolate is always good too! :)

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1 comments Chef Ripert,

To truss or not to truss?

I keep hearing conflicting things about trussing. Some people say trussing keeps the leg from getting over-cooked. Others say trussing it makes the thigh take longer to cook. I personally haven't noticed a difference either way other than in presentation. What's your preference?

message 7: by Eric (new)

Louise wrote: "Chef Ripert,

To truss or not to truss?

I keep hearing conflicting things about trussing. Some people say trussing keeps the leg from getting over-cooked. Others say trussing it makes the thigh ta..."

Trussing gives shape to the poultry and it allows the heat to penetrate all the parts of the bird more evenly. It definitely also helps aesthetically to make a good looking dish but technically it is very important.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda My dad was a great cook and baker, all self taught. He passed away before I could get all the recipes out of him. My cooking now is trying to figure out his best dishes. Although I'm failing at some, I've mastered others.

My favorites are chili (which I make hotter), homemade mac and cheese and biscuits and gravy. I guess my favorite recipes now are comfort food recipes by dad. :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Chef, since I've never cooked fish before, what would be the best fish for me to start out with? Does specific fish require specific seasonings?

Thank you!

message 10: by Eric (new)

Amanda wrote: "Chef, since I've never cooked fish before, what would be the best fish for me to start out with? Does specific fish require specific seasonings?

Thank you!"

I think the easiest fish to cook with for the first time is tuna. Because it can be cooked like steak, sautéed or seared. As for the seasoning, fine sea salt and white pepper is what we use mostly at Le Bernardin. Become comfortable with the technique and the seasoning and then you will be able to play with more complex flavors by adding spice

message 11: by Eric (new)

iliana wrote: "Hello Chef --I catch a lot of trout here in Vermont, and I end up smoking a good deal of it over alder wood and then freezing it. I'd be delighted with any inspiration with regard to either fresh ..."

Trout are also very good when you poach them in a court bouillon (which is a broth made with vinegar, water, salt, black pepper, onions, garlic and bay leaves). The broth is very strong and overly seasoned and therefore cannot be used for a sauce but is a great cooking liquid to give flavor to the trout.

message 12: by Chenoa (new)

Chenoa | 2 comments Chef,
My favorite fish is salmon but I am tired of what I've been doing (butter/garlic/lemon/caper sauce or a soy/ginger/garlic marinade) and would like some advice on how to cook a great flavor and moist piece of salmon. If you could also advise on some side dishes....I can only eat so much fish and brown rice.

message 13: by Darin (new)

Darin Hiebel | 1 comments The Rao's lemon chicken is a nice one. But my favorite is the one I learned at Brasserie Le'Coze.

message 14: by Garri (new)

Garri (garrig) | 7 comments Dear Chef,
My questions relates to linguine carbonara recepe in "Avec Eric" book and on the website (there is a recepe with tagliatelle, as well). The dish is great - it is as simple and quick, as rewarding. The recepe calls for 1/2 cup of beacon, 2 cups crème fraîche, 2 large egg yolks, 1½ cups of Parmesan, etc. However, my wife gave me a printout of the same recepe, also from Avec Eric website that, while using the same amount of beacon, requires only half as much of the sauce (i.e., 1 cup of creme, 1 egg yolk, half-cup of Parmesan, etc.). Strangely, today, I could not find the wife's version on the website. Anyway, I tried both, and, frankly, we liked the version with less sauce better. Two cups of creme with 1½ cups of Parmesan appear to overwhelm the mere 8 oz of pasta. So, the questions are:
1) Would you please, comment on my experience above?
2) Has there, indeed, been such a "reduced sauce" version of the recepe on the website?
2) What role, if any, in your opinion, plays the choice of the pasta cut (i.e., linguine vs. tagliatelle)?
Thank you so very much.

message 15: by Eric (new)

I'm so sorry I'm running out of time tonight...am being called to the kitchen. But I will log back in on Monday...and I promise to answer the questions you have already sent in! Have a great weekend.

message 16: by Eric (new)

Chenoa wrote: "Chef,
My favorite fish is salmon but I am tired of what I've been doing (butter/garlic/lemon/caper sauce or a soy/ginger/garlic marinade) and would like some advice on how to cook a great flavor a..."

I love to cook salmon...here's one recipe that's a little bit different...but still easy and delicious. I demonstrated it recently for Regis & Kelly: http://aveceric.com/wp/recipes/guest-...

message 17: by Eric (new)

Garri wrote: "Dear Chef,
My questions relates to linguine carbonara recepe in "Avec Eric" book and on the website (there is a recepe with tagliatelle, as well). The dish is great - it is as simple and quick, as..."

Our apologies for the confusion. There were some varying versions between the recipes for the dishes as I prepared them on the show and what I posted on the site. All should be cohesive now. But having said that, if you prefer the version wtih less sauce--by all means use it! There are no hard and fast rules with this dish. And as for the type of pasta...that is just personal preference as well.