Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Authors > Samuel Delany

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Samuel R. Delany

I was digging in my bookshelf today and found a copy of Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia. I was given this book by a professor while in college (he was trying to put a little polish on my personal reading) because he knew I was a huge fantasy fan, had (at the time) intentions of becoming a published author, and because Delany's work - though he writes sci-fi and fantasy - is considered "literature."

I'm not a big fan of "literature" but I tried to read bits and pieces of it - like all literature, it was boring so I DNF it.

Has anyone else read his work? Does he write any fantasy that I can sink my teeth into or does most of his sci-fi work fall into the "literature" category?

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments I think Delany is one of the best SFF writers of all time. I think Dhalgren one of the best SFF of all time. His work is literary. I have to work bit to figure them out. I often fell I am missing a lot and need to re-read, study or read about them. But this is true of any great literature.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Dhalgren does sound interesting but very sci-fi. I might have to go search his catalog to see what I can find.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I only read Nova and it was pretty dry to me. I don't consider myself a fan.

message 5: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 380 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Samuel R. Delany
..."

honestly, i don't think he is for you Mrs. Joseph. personally i think he is a fascinating author, but always very literary. there are earlier examples of his scifi besides Triton that are less literary...but still quite stylized. he's a potent writer but he is not much for creating a driving narrative or engaging characters (to me). more of an idea man and a stylist than a storyteller. this is not meant to be a critique of delaney at all, i do love him.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments The more I think about it, I think I agre with you, Mark. Everytime I think about picking up this book I feel like I'm in class. I think I'll keep it, though. (view spoiler)