Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles
Doyle's Sherlock Holmes > The Hound of the Baskervilles #5 *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trisha | 495 comments Since this book is shorter, we will only use one thread for the discussion. Post your comment about the novel here.

Regina (reginar) I just read this last year. I enjoyed it, but was able to figure out the wrong doer before the big reveal. But I liked the pacing and the struggle to figure out if it was a supernatural cause or a human cause.

Trisha | 495 comments Quite a few people were very interested in reading this, and I know that there are a lot of different Sherlock Holmes stories out there, so I am wondering what sets "The Hounds.." above the rest? Any opinions?

Emily (The Litertarian) (emmaleighbug) I just got my copy about two months ago. I'm reading The Stand on my Nook, Quirk as an audiobook. I'm gonna try reading my hardback copy of The Hound too! Man, am I crazy!

Silver | 8 comments So far I am quite enjoying the story. One of the things which I really like about it is the way in which Doyle draws upon gothic elements within the story. I love the way in which he described the manor of Baskervilles and how he creates this haunting atmosphere about the place. I also enjoy the speculation of the supernatural. I cannot wait to see the unraveling of this strange mystery.

And I love the use of the name Dr. Mortimer.

message 6: by MK (last edited Apr 29, 2014 11:05AM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Adding a link to Series Order for Sherlock Holmes Books (9 books, plus a complete one, for the 10th):

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4999...

And a 'table of contents' of sorts to our group threads :):

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes #1)
first impressions threadspoiler thread

The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes #2)
book thread

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #3)
first impressions threadspoiler thread

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4)
book thread

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes #5)
book thread

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #6)
book thread

The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes #7)
book thread

His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes #8)
book thread

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #9)
book thread

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #1-#9)

----

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg | 10 comments I have read all of the Holmes books a number of times, and am currently reading it again. I think that Hound stands out for a number of reasons. First of all, its a great story, told well. The trappings of the plot--the legend, the escaped convict, the betrayed woman, and so forth are well intertwined. Also its structure is far more straightforward than the other three novels, with their extended flashbacks. Hound reads more like one of the short stories, but at greater length. I know that its the only one of the novels that I really like.

Tytti | 1092 comments I read this as a kid. I was surprised to find it at the children/youth section at a library, I didn't think it belonged there. In general I think I prefer the short stories, this wasn't as good as they were, though better than The Sign of Four.

Melanti | 2386 comments I just finished this book this morning and it's hands down my favorite Holmes story. I think part of that is that we're left to solve the mystery at our own pace (or rather at Watson's pace) rather than trailing along in Holmes's wake, with half our "clues" being things we can deduce from Holmes's behavior. Sure, Holmes comes along in the end and wraps things up, but we already have the majority of the information at that point.

Then, on top of that happy fact, it's also somewhat of a Gothic horror story as well as being a mystery and I'm a big fan of Gothic horror.

I find it very interesting that this is perhaps the most famous of the Sherlock Holmes stories but out of the ones I've read so far, it's the one where Holmes's character just faded into the background for half the book.

Annina | 121 comments I'm starting to read this at work tomorrow. I have like 30 mins waiting period at work, so it's a perfect time to read. I haven't read it before, so I'm eager to see what happens and will I like it.

Darren (dazburns) | 1826 comments I will be starting this in the next couple of days

is anybody else reading this right now?

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
So tempted.