What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Sci-fi novel: furry aliens, heart tattoo?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Tara (snowytara) | 24 comments I read a sci-fi novel in the late '90s and I can only remember very specific, non-helpful details about it.
1. Male main character from Earth
2. A character at the beginning of the book chewed on styrofoam cups while waiting for something
3. The mc became part of some kind of inter-galactic team
4. The team members would convert to different alien forms specific to the planets they were working on. I specifically remember that at one point they changed into tall, furry bipedal creatures that carried their brains in furry bundles. They could leave their brains for a little bit if they needed.
5. The mc falls in love with a woman on the team who is not actually human but some kind of sophisticated ancient alien. She has a tattoo of a human heart, um, very low on the front of her torso.
And that's it. Sci-fi is not my genre, so this could be some classic novel that everyone knows but I can't find it in any of my searches. Any help or clues would be much appreciated!!

message 2: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Vanessa | 15 comments Did the cover of the book have a picture of the woman alien - is she gigantically tall? If so, my husband read this one. I will ask him when he gets home tomorrow.

message 3: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Tara (snowytara) | 24 comments I don't remember any gigantically tall women, but hey, I can't remember a lot of things about the book. I also can't remember what the cover looks like. Thanks for your help!

message 4: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Vanessa | 15 comments Is it "Foreigner" by C.J. Cherryh?

message 5: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Tara (snowytara) | 24 comments I don't think it's "Foreigner," but the book sounds so interesting that I'm going to pick it up anyways. Thanks!

message 6: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Jason (Gireesh42) | 0 comments I'm almost sure this is a Cherryh book. Big bells are going off, but I haven't read Foreigner. I think there are others by Cherryh with the same characters...

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments Beyond the Veil of Stars

I don't remember the tattoo, but the rest of it is all there.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26830 comments Mod
Tara, are you still looking for this book?