Books Without Borders discussion

Random Book Speak > Book Nemesis

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
Amanda, Colleen and I were having a discussion in the personal goals forum that I thought I would make another thread for because I'm curious about other people.

Is there a book that is your nemesis? Meaning, is there that one book that, try as you might, you just can't get through??

For me, it's The Count of Monte Cristo. I bought the unabridged version in 2005. Over the years I've gotten about 700 pages into the 1300 page book. But now it's been so long that I have no idea what was happening. I don't want to go back to the beginning because I made it that far. But I want to say I finished it.

I'm considering buying the abridged version (which is 500-something pages) and starting over that way.

So how about you? Do you have a book nemesis??

message 2: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (ladyday) | 228 comments My nemesis would have to be Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True".I started and re-started that book at least four times...ARGH!Because I'm not one to "easily" let it go, I tortured myself by continuing to go back to it.As a matter of fact it is still on my bookshelf and I think it's high time I donated it to my local library.Maybe someone else can enjoy it.
I now know this much is true.....I aint gonna start this one ever again...LOL!

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
Lady Day wrote: "My nemesis would have to be Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True".I started and re-started that book at least four times...ARGH!Because I'm not one to "easily" let it go, I tortured myself by con..."

Oh no!!! I absolutely loved that book! But it is a fairly tough one to get into. I'm sorry you haven't been able to like it. :-(