Best Teen Books discussion

RE: book store visit

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

ok, I bought Trapped and If I Stay---anyone reading these?

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 8 comments No, but If I Stay is on my to read list. My students say it's amazing.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 9 comments I read If I Stay and really liked it. It is sad but also has hope. I made a book trailer for it and showed it to our 8th grade. They seemed to like it and were intrigued by the idea of making their own trailers.

I am on hold for Trapped. I've read really good things about it.

Here are some books that I have read recently that I really liked:

Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Things a Brother Knows (awesome)
Countdown
Hold me Close, Necromancer (starts out great, gets a little bogged down introducing all of these different groups of people with "powers" but then gets good again.)
Shipbreaker (students have loved it)

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman was a 5 star book for me and the sequel Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman comes out in a few months.

I really liked Please Ignore Vera Dietz also, but I only gave Hold Me Closer, Necromancer 3 stars and that was being generous. I liked the idea of the book and parts were good, but the end got to be too much.

Books I loved similar to those are:
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - This was probably my favorite book I read last year.
Twenty Boy Summer
Bruiser
Anna and the French Kiss

If you liked Hold Me Closer Necromancer, try reading Bruiser(which is Fantastic!), Unwind(Which is also great), Crazy or The Replacement.
If you liked If I Stay, try reading Please Ignore Vera Dietz, Twenty Boy Summer, Any & Rogers Epic Detour or Anna and the French Kiss.
I think all those books are rated 4 stars or more and are very good.
Phew....I think I'm done : D

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne | 9 comments Unwind was one of my all time favorite books. I loved the concept and thought the writing was really good. We had a senior write his college entrance essay based on the ideas in this book and it was very well received.

I also really liked The Monstrumologist and Curse of the Wendigo. I have been encouraging teachers to use these in their classrooms because the vocabulary is wonderful. I think these books are challenging yet so enjoyable.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) Anne wrote: "Unwind was one of my all time favorite books. I loved the concept and thought the writing was really good. We had a senior write his college entrance essay based on the ideas in this book and it ..."

Try Bruiser by Neal Shusterman . It's by the same author and the book has the same feel but the topic is totally different.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your input--

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam Williams | 47 comments Anne wrote: "I read If I Stay and really liked it. It is sad but also has hope. I made a book trailer for it and showed it to our 8th grade. They seemed to like it and were intrigued by the idea of making th..."

Thanks for all the recommendations. I really liked If I Stay and am looking forward to the next book. Good work on the book trailer. We have students making them at my school too.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire (thebookelf) | 2 comments J wrote: "ok, I bought Trapped and If I Stay---anyone reading these?"

I thought If I Stay was amazing writing, I could not fathom a novel with this premise but Gayle pulled it off. The sequel Where She Went, is even more riveting. Out in April.
Trapped was not as compelling to me, looking forward to what you have to say about it.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire (thebookelf) | 2 comments Anne wrote: "I read If I Stay and really liked it. It is sad but also has hope. I made a book trailer for it and showed it to our 8th grade. They seemed to like it and were intrigued by the idea of making th..."

These titles are reminding me of Adios Nirvana, a book I really like.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 36 comments I thought If I Stay was amazing and can't wait for the sequel to come out! The story brought me to tears so many times and my students love it too.