YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Books we loved as kids!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
okay so i thought it would be fun to have a topic about all the books you used to read when you were little

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison | 234 comments Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) by Enid Blyton and The Secret Seven (The Secret Seven, #1) by Enid Blyton

I adored the Famous Five and Secret Seven books when I was a kid. They used to transport me on all these mystery adventures. Enid Blyton was definitely my favorite author back then. Oh the memories :-)

message 3: by Jazmyn (last edited Feb 19, 2011 10:01AM) (new)

Jazmyn | 31 comments The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) by Walter Farley Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) by Lurlene McDaniel

I loved the Black Stallion series and Dawn Rochelle series. Horses and Cancer= my childhood obsessions.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Any Enid Blyton mystery was my favourite (yes I've recenty bought them and will re-read them at one point!)

I was also a fan of the Roswell High series (although, that was more teen years!)

Worst Witch, Animal Ark, and dare I admit it, Sweet Valley High and Babysitters Club!!!

message 6: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 19, 2011 11:10PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Don't be afraid Piper. I loved Sweet Valley High and Babysitters club. I'm of course aging myself with those books though.

I didn't read much as a teen (pretty much when I hit 14 I was partying my butt off, sorry mom), but my preteen years were full of tons of reading, since my mom didn't let me watch much t.v.

There was also a series that had sorority in the name but I can't find it on GR. It was a high school sorority though and I remember the girls had stupid names like Tulip and Daisy, but I loved those books.

Loved Where the Red Fern Grows, Charlotte's Web, Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland and all of the Little House Books too.

The Indian in the Cupboard series was good, as well as the Choose Your Own Adventure series.

Also read the original Nancy Drews & the Nancy Drew Case Files.

Judy Blume had a few that I liked.

My all time favorite childhood book was Chain Letter by Christopher Pike

Oh, and they weren't really kids books but I loved VC Andrews stuff back then like Flowers in the Attic.

message 7: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I used to read this book about a dog all the time. The Narnia books and Harry Potter. Oh and this Charmed one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ooops. Forgot Narnia. Read those too.

message 9: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I always did have a crush on Aslan.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) You and your lions.

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Well Scar was also sexy for a lion. Jessica agrees!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm really surprised you haven't read Kate Daniels then. He's the only main character I know of who's a shifter lion.

I reallllly had a hard time with the first book though. Isa (and many others) say the series is really good if you can get past the first two books.

message 13: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I don't think I've heard of it actually. I will have to check it out.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Oh yeah.. nancy drew :D I never owned one but always borrowed from the library :)

message 15: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Oh oh and um Eragon! If that counts..

message 16: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 20, 2011 12:04AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My older kid didn't read much, but he loved the Among the Hidden books in elementary school. I had to buy him that whole set.

I did get him to read Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Mortal Instruments though. He read the Gone series on his own, which surprised me. Guess that's what happens when you take away someone's phone, t.v., ipod, video games, and priviledges to leave the house (he snuck out and spent the night at his girlfriend's so I sort of had to...sigh).

*edit* He also liked Unwind and Forest of Hands and Teeth. I guess he doesn't mind dystopian...

message 17: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) *Gasp* the video games too?

Reading is nearly as epic though. I need to read Gone.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Gone was slow for me, but my son loved it. I think it's a guy thing to like details that I could care less about.

I had to take it all away. He busted out our screen. Little turd.

message 19: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I skim read all over-detailed boring things in books.

message 20: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Example: Explaining who the twins are in every HoN book. Argh.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm a skimmer too. I skim most heavy world-building. Plot, action and romance are what interests me. Some people love heavy world building but I just don't get into it.

message 22: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I love fantasy and fae world building. But other than that if its over done then meh.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Urban Fantasy/PNR world building bugs me way more than Epic Fantasy world building.

message 24: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Same mostly because its all the same crap over and over.

*Mrs. Brightside* I loved Magic Tree House, Goosebumps, and Among the Hidden series(: those were pretty much all I read in elementary.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Forgot about these...

Bunnicula A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery (Bunnicula, #1) by Deborah Howe The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3) by James Howe

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Goosebumps!! I'd forgotten thoose! I can still remember the first one I read - The Ghost Next Door (Goosebumps, #10) by R.L. Stine

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2011 10:22PM) (new)

The Five Chinese Brothers The Five Chinese Brothers (Paperstar) by Claire Huchet Bishop
i also read Sweet Valley Kids, Twins, and High. And the Baby Sitters Club

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh I read Sweet Valley Twins too. SV High was better though.

*Mrs. Brightside* Oh yeah! I read Baby Sitters Club.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) BSC! Woo!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Goosebumps, I laugh cuz I read them, now my kids read them;-)

message 33: by Lauren (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 12 comments Oh, gee! The memories. Let me see. I adored the Baby Sitters Club novels when i was between 11 and 14, i talked my mom into buying me like the first 40 books off eBay and i read them so many times. I picked one up recently to see if i still love them and i found that what was great at 11 is not necessarily so great at 18. I loved Nancy Drew as well, and i picked up one of my old Nancy Drew novels recently and i found out i still like them now. And also the Hardy Boys, those where a lot of fun and i loved the adventures the Hardys went on. Tom Swift was and still is pretty neat too. I was also big into Sweet Valley Twins between 11 and 14, ahh Jessica and Elizabeth. Never talked mom into buying me those though. Another series i loved was the Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard, i picked one of those up recently and wow. The books have Native American and African American characters and i can't get over how stereotypical those characters are. But mom liked them for me because the books had a lot of good values. I also loved and still love anything by Roald Dahl, i picked up Matilda again recently and i still love that book just as much now as i did when i first read it when i was 8 or so. That book has really stood the test of time for me. Mom didn't like Matilda because she thought it gave me bad ideas about parents. I also loved the Ramona and Henry Huggins books by Beverly Cleary and those i also still love to this day, Ramona always makes me laugh no matter what. One thing about reading books written in the 80's and 90's is how dated they seem today, i remember in BSC how it was a big deal that one of the characters had her own private phone-line, and of course these days most teens have their own private phone-line aka a cell phone. And i remember that Ann Martin would always vividly describe one character's kooky 80's outfits. My mom has a bunch of books that she used to read when she was my age, and i dug into those like crazy. One of those series that i really loved where the Trixie Belden books by Julie Campbell, they where kind of like Nancy Drew. I recently found out that those books are being reissued. I had a big thing for detective and spy books when i was younger and i still do now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh wow, Trixie Belden. Those books are SO old, like 1950's or something? My mom bought me a bunch when I was young from a thrift store and I actually ended up loving them.

I also loved the five little peppers books. My mom always bought me a lot of old fashioned stuff, hoping I'd keep some good values or something, lmao.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) If we wanna go back to really, really young...I loved these silly books called Amelia Bedelia and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

message 36: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Well I think I read Dr Suess. And this Are You My Mother? (Beginner Books) by P.D. Eastman

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Awww...I almost bought some of those for my little one recently, but I don't think he'd appreciate them just yet.

message 38: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I think I read them when I was 5 or 6.

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 12 comments @Stacia Yeah i think the first one was published in 1955 or something. I loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Amelia Bedelia as well! And also the Arthur books by Marc Brown. And of couse Dr. Seuss.

message 40: by jenni... (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:40PM) (new)

jenni... (beavernatorbeaver87gmailcom) | 550 comments Britnee wrote: "I always did have a crush on Aslan."

isnt he a tad old 4 u brittles?? i always loved famous five and narnia. and harry potter ofcourse. and this one about heart shaped glasses. after i read that book i went to the optomitrist and tried to convince him that i needed glasses lol

and i loved goosebumps. lol
and i have to admit that i am guilty of being a fan of trixie beldon. oh! and those ones by alfred hithcock. the adventure ones, as well as the ones by willard price

message 41: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Jenni wrote: "Britnee wrote: "I always did have a crush on Aslan."

isnt he a tad old 4 u brittles?? i always loved famous five and narnia. and harry potter ofcourse. and this one about heart shaped glasse..."

you think you're cool.

message 42: by jenni... (new)

jenni... (beavernatorbeaver87gmailcom) | 550 comments i know im cool

message 43: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Jenni wrote: "i know im cool"

ewwwwwwwww..

message 44: by Jen (new)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

i am sam, sam i am
the best book ever!!!

message 46: by Candy (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Candy | 387 comments I loved reading when I was younger my favorites were

The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes by Kenneth N. Taylor A Little Princess (Unabridged Classics) by Frances Hodgson Burnett Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Stuart Little by E.B. White The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Your list is so much like mine Candy. Loved all of those books, well except my picture Bible wasn't that exact one, but you know what I mean. :p

message 48: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments We're probably close in age Stacia I think from other posts you've made. A lot of those books are much older but classics.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, I'm one of the mommies in here.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay, if all of the books are familiar to you, this might ring a bell :

[image error]

« previous 1