The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.5. Delicious Dee's task: “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, or a book”

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 27, 2011 04:21PM) (new)

Sandy | 16179 comments Mod
30.5. Delicious Dee's task: “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, or a book”

One of the things I love the best about Goodreads is the chance to look at what other people have read in the past. You will read two books for this task. The following members (Spring Birthdates) have a birthday during the Spring Challenge period. Read two books, from different members’ "read" shelves, whose birthdays fall closest to yours date wise.

If my birthday is the 20th of the month, for instance, then I would read a book from someone whose birthday is also on the 20th. If no one has a birthday on my date, then I would read books from members whose birthdates were closest to my birthdate. For example, if my birthday was the 22nd and there were no birthdays on the 22nd, but there were birthdays on the 21st or 23rd, I would read books from the shelves of two of those SRC members.

If your birthday falls during the course of this season's challenge, you cannot read a book that is on your read shelf (no re-reads). A book may appear on your to-read shelf, but it must also appear on the "read" shelf of one of the SRC members with a spring birthday whose lists you are using for this task.

Required: Post your date as well as the members whose shelves that you used when posting. You do not need to post your complete birthday, only the date, i.e. 3rd or 20th.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments reserved

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16179 comments Mod
Reserved

message 5: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments "You may not read a book from your own shelf."
I'm not sure how exactly this sentence is to understand, because I can interpret it in two possible ways:
1) No books on my own shelf are allowed, even if they are also on the "read"-shelf of the member I picked.
2) The sentence refers to the fact that I'm not supposed to "pick" from my shelf. Then it might be OK to read a book I find on the selected person's shelf even if it's also listed on my own shelf.

I'm asking because I have found quite a few possibilities, but most of them I have already shelved (mostly as to-read, very few already read but options for re-reads).

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments So when it comes to picking a book, you cannot go to your read shelf and re-read a book from it. Does that make sense?

message 7: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments It does. My law-student mind is probably just too used to looking at one sentence and seeing at least two possible interpretations.

So it's allowable to pick a book from the selected person's read-shelf that's already on my to-read shelf?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments yep...it just can't be on your read shelf

message 9: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Thanks.

message 10: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments do we HAVE to read a book from someone who shares our exact birthday, or can we pick from say the day before and the day after our birthday? i'm trying to only read books i own, and i've already read the only books i own that my birthday twin listed.

message 11: by Dee (last edited Feb 21, 2011 10:58AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments they have to be on your birthday UNLESS no one has their birthday on your date (or only one person does) and then you can use a close the closest other date

message 12: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments The two books have to be from two different members' shelves, or can both come from the same member? Thanks!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments two different members

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments I have one person on my birthday but she has her profile set to private....can I use the next to closest?

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 386 comments I'm in the same boat as Kathleen...

Heather in KS

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments is her profile accepting msgs? try that, and then if you don't get a response by the time the challenge starts you can

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments On one of the shelves to my birthday date is Coraline. I wanted to make sure this would be ok since the new rule came out for the young reader books. Thanks

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments let me check Caraline out at the library but tenatively yes - i'll check tomorrow and let you know

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My birthday is the 19, and two members (Chris FL and Coralie) also have birthdays on that day. They both had books in their 'read' list that I've been meaning to read for ages. :P Perfect!

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments i'm glad you lucked out! i did as well - mine is on the 16th and I found 2 books on other's individual piles that have been on mine for ages :)

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4080 comments I just noticed in bold black letters that it says that we cannot read a book from our shelves! So, if I find a book on another member's list that is on my To-be-read list, I cannot read it, correct? I need to find a book that I have not listed to read?

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments Bea - please see msg 6 and 7 which should clarify your question

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4080 comments OK...thanks. I missed those question/answers and then scared myself when I re-read the task. Back to my original plan....:)

message 24: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments I had already chosen what books I wanted to read from the birthdays closest to mine, when suddenly there is someone on the birthday list with my same birthday. Do I need to change my books, or am I okay since they weren't on there when I chose?

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments your good - as long as the individual's birthday hadn't been posted when you picked your books. This happens quite a bit when popular shelves choices/ books are used because the data changes as people are added etc

travelgirlut wrote: "I had already chosen what books I wanted to read from the birthdays closest to mine, when suddenly there is someone on the birthday list with my same birthday. Do I need to change my books, or am ..."

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17848 comments Mod
It is helpful if you point that out when you post so that we know you followed the task correctly- just "from my options when I picked" or something similar will help

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments thanks for mentioning that DLMRose!

message 28: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Thanks!

message 29: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4080 comments OK...each time I think I've got it...I lose it. My birthday is on the 13th...so if I understand this correctly I choose from SRC members who also have b-days on 13th regardless of the month. Correct? (Cause that is not what I did...but I think it will work out anyway.)

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments Yep that's correct

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Sorry to ask a question so late in the challenge, but I was just about to start this task and realized I was a bit confused.

My birthday is the 12th of April. No one else has a birthday that falls on the 12th of any month. So does this mean I choose the two people whose birthdays fall closest to mine in April (April 7th and April 14th)? Or do I choose the two people whose birthdays fall on March 11th and March 13th?

Thanks.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments the dates that fall closest...so

Lynda 11-Mar
Brenda MO 13-Mar
Bea 13-May
Kim L 13-May

would work

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Thank you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Coraline (other topics)