The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.2. Sheila's Task: Sheila’s Guilty Pleasures

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 19, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Sandy | 16182 comments Mod
30.2. Sheila’s Guilty Pleasures

One of my guilty pleasures is watching “reality” television and two of my favorite shows are American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. For this task you will need to read 2 books whose titles (no series titles please) or authors names match either the first or last names of the winners of these two shows. In the case of DWTS you can also use the names of the winners' professional dance partners since some of the winners have difficult to match names. Also for DWTS we are going by the United States winners only please. One book from the American Idol winner list and one book from the DWTS list. Please note when posting which show it is from and which winner you are using. The entire first or last name must be intact within the title or author name. For example you could not use a book by author Mary Higgins Clark for Kelly Clarkson but you could use a book by an author named Leeland for Lee DeWyze since the entire name Lee is intact and spelled the same within the name. Good reading and have fun! Oops – gotta go – Idol is ON!

Here are the list of winners:

American Idol Winners

1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Ruben Studdard
3. Fantasia Barrino
4. Carrie Underwood
5. Taylor Hicks
6. Jordin Sparks
7. David Cook
8. Kris Allen
9. Lee DeWyze

Dancing With the Stars United States version - Winners and their partners.

1 Kelly Monaco and her partner Alec Mazo
2 Drew Lachey and his partner Cheryl Burke.
3 Emmitt Smith and his partner Cheryl Burke.
4 Apolo Anton Ohno and his partner Julianne Hough
5 Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough
6 Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark Ballas
7 Brooke Burke and Derek Hough
8 Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas
9 Donny Osmond and his partner Kym Johnson
10 Nicole Scherzinger and her partner Derek Hough
11. Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments reserved

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments reserved

message 4: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments So would City of Fallen Angels work because of Kris Allen?

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Absolutely Jennifer

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Love this task Sheila!

I am planning on using The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen for Kris Allen and 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson for Kym Johnson.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Fran both those books are fine. I read Sugar Queen for the last challenge and loved it.

message 8: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Can we flip the location of the name? For example - can we read a book by someone with the first name "Allen" instead of last?

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments you sure can Christine

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments This is such a good idea!

Quick question, can I use Bradley Alan as an author and match it to Kris Allen. The Allen/Alan are different but the same?

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Dancing with the Stars is one of my favorite show! I love this task!!!

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Sorry Jackie the name has to be intact so spelling needs to be the same not just sound alike. Too bad too I enjoyed Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I read it for the last challenge.

message 13: by Sheila (last edited Feb 24, 2011 07:31AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Kathryn, mine too!

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments No worries! I'll fit it in somewhere else. Thanks!

message 15: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments There is a "Kelly" in both groups, so would it be possible to use that name twice? There are some books by Susan B. Kelly I haven't read yet.

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Sounds good Isabell. Happy reading!

message 17: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Thanks. That opens up lots of reading possibilities. Now I just have to get my hands on one of them.

message 18: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'm curious to know if you'll accept The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate for this task?

with the new "young reader" rule in effect for this challenge, i want to double check!

it's listed as both young adult AND children's....but this would be a pretty advanced children's book! it's nearly 400 pages long and has more advanced vocabulary throughout.

thanks for your help! :)

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Hi Kiki, It looks like this book has won awards for both children's and juvenile genres and at my library it is listed in the youth section, so I say yes. The best part is it would qualify for either Idol (Kelly Clarkson) or DWTS (Kelly Monaco). Good choice.

From looking up info on your choice of book it sounds like something I might enjoy. Please let me know how you like it.

message 20: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments great, thank you!

i'm really looking forward to reading it, i've heard great things. i'll let you know what i think when i'm done with it! :)

message 21: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sheila wrote: "Hi Kiki, It looks like this book has won awards for both children's and juvenile genres and at my library it is listed in the youth section, so I say yes. The best part is it would qualify for ei..."

Sheila and Kiki, I really enjoyed Calpurnia Tate.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments OK Donna Jo, that clinches it. I have added it to my tbr list which totally defeats the purpose of the SRC challenge for me which is to reduce the tbr list. haha

message 23: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sheila wrote: "OK Donna Jo, that clinches it. I have added it to my tbr list which totally defeats the purpose of the SRC challenge for me which is to reduce the tbr list. haha"

Sheila, are you ever on the wrong site. I never even HAD a TBR list until I started messing around on GR. Now, two years later I am staring at a whole long list of requests from the library. (And the library made it easier for me--last year they lifted the 25 item limit on requests and made it unlimited. )

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Sheila wrote: "OK Donna Jo, that clinches it. I have added it to my tbr list which totally defeats the purpose of the SRC challenge for me which is to reduce the tbr list. haha"

Sheila, are you..."

Lucky! Our library has a 30 limit on requests.

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I don't think my library has a limit but I do know I ask for way too many items at a time and of course they all come on the same day. (interlibrary loans)

message 26: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Sheila wrote: "I don't think my library has a limit but I do know I ask for way too many items at a time and of course they all come on the same day. (interlibrary loans)"

WHAT! My library only allows up to 10 holds at a time. Of course, that just means I put 10 on hold, pick them up, and immediately reserve another 10...

message 27: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Killing Kelly works?

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments just to double check mine:

Kitty and the Midnight Hour - Carrie Vaughn - for Carrie Underwood

Marked for Mark Ballas

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Sounds good Dee.

message 30: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sheila wrote: "I don't think my library has a limit but I do know I ask for way too many items at a time and of course they all come on the same day. (interlibrary loans)"

I'm lucky--our library computer system allows us to suspend holds and specify when we want to pick them up. So I right now I have a batch suspended until March 7, another batch for the 14, another group for March 28 and some for April 4. If the books check out to someone else between now and then I may have to wait a little longer, but it does keep them from all landing at the same time. And I don't do that with the popular books I'll have to wait a while for anyway.

message 31: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Riona wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I don't think my library has a limit but I do know I ask for way too many items at a time and of course they all come on the same day. (interlibrary loans)"

WHAT! My library only a..."

My library only allows 10 too. But I get around that because each of my kids has a card and I have 5 kids! The trick is to get the right books checked out on the right cards. :)

message 32: by Nick (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2542 comments NICKBOY

I'm not sure about the "title" part of the challenge. Can I use True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey as a reference to Kelly Clarkson, since the name "Kelly" is in the title?

message 33: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Just checking, Kelley Armstrong does NOT work because she spells her name with an extra E?

message 34: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments That is correct Cindy, they have to be spelled the same

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments You are correct Nickboy that book will work for Kelly Clarkson OR Kelly Monaco from Season 1 of DWTS.

message 36: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Would you accept a book with two authors only one of which is on the Idol list? I'm specifically wanting to fit V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd (for David Cook).

message 37: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments That sounds fine to me Mrs. Soule as long as you read another book that is from the DWTS list as well.

message 38: by Joanna (last edited Apr 07, 2011 11:45AM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Can I use the name of the editor of a collection of essays? I'm thinking of using Toddler: Real-life Stories of Those Fickle, Irrational, Urgent, Tiny People We Love edited by Jennifer Margulis

message 39: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments That is fine with me Joanna for the DWTS part of the task. Enjoy!

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 668 comments I would like to confirm that Deborah Cooke is acceptable for David Cook.

Thanks! :D

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments yes it is fine as long as the name Cook is intact within the authors name and it is. Enjoy

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 668 comments Thank you! :D