Book Haven discussion

General > Novel or Novella?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Sinclair Hi Everyone, a couple of friends and I were talking about this the other day and it was funny how people that preferred novels were not keen on novellas and the other way around. I was just wondering. Do you prefer a nice long novel or a short but sweet novella?

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments There is nothing better than a well-thought out short story or novella, but I prefer long-form fiction.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel As a fantasy buff, I love a long and engaging epic! Having said that, many of my friends will tell you that I have a novella addiction. I love the format for several reasons. Firstly, it is amazing to sit down for an afternoon and read an entire story, cover to cover. There is no break in pace, you get the full sweep of the storyline, and an immense satisfaction when you close the book and let it all wash over you. Second, I love that novellas tend to be where authors take some chances. Let's face it, novellas aren't what brings them the dough, so a lot less is riding on them. With the pressure off, authors can experiment with their style, how they give a character voice, tighter plot lines, and much more. Lastly, novellas can also be where an author gives his/her fans a chance to revisit a favorite character or world. Call it a love letter to their fans. Bujold has written one for her Vorkosigan series, Sanderson has a Mistborn novella in the works, and there are thankfully many more.

If you're looking for novellas, you often have to look towards smaller presses. Subterranean Press is my absolute favorite. Quality writers and illustrators, books that are lovingly packaged, and most importantly, I haven't read a poor story from them yet! I highly recommend giving them a try!

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Sinclair Thanks for the recommendation Laurel. I actually was talking about them the other day to someone, lol. I do like novels, but the last couple I have read have been a real disappointment. I like writing novels, but then again I love writing novellas. I think novellas can be short and sweet. I like the fact you can read them in one go. Most of my ideas start off as novellas, but if I hit gold it does tend to expand into a novel, lol.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I love to read both the shorter novella--as stephen king writes these---when I'm tired of novels. a long novel is perfect for long waits at bus stops.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Sinclair I haven't actually picked up any of the stephen king novellas. I knew he did them, but completely forgot. I will have to check some out.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boulanger (linda_boulanger) | 3 comments I find myself reaching for shorter works these days because of time constraints - though in the past, it was always a novel. As an author, I don't start out prepared for a particular piece to be a novel or novella (short stories - yes, I know they will be short). My mom once told me that a story will take as many words as it takes to tell itself and I have never forgotten that.

message 8: by Bj (new)

Bj Hunter (bjhunter) I prefer novels, I feel kind of short changed when a book is only a few hundred pages, I just love those huge doorstop Stephen King and Anne Rice novels.

message 9: by A. (new)

A. Rosaria | 28 comments I tried writing a short story, my intention was to write max 7k words. I'm used to writing novel length stories, so it proved difficult to write at a shorter length, the story kept growing and I finished a little above 14k words, making it a novelette.

Still I loved writing the story, it was fun and it being short it will be much easier to tighten the grammar and correct the spelling.

I think shorter stories are perfect to fleshing out a previous created world, or to create the first steps to a much grander and greater story.
Another advantage of shorter stories is that in this age of time constraint, a fast read might be more desirable.

I have a feeling that in the near future there might be an increase in shorter work. With the advancement in technology the publish time could/should be shortened, resulting in more stories and probably shorter.

I think shorter stories are fine and fun, but I am biased, I write them. :D

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (marynovik) | 56 comments Nowadays, publishers have been publishing novellas that they call novels. I think they feel they won't sell unless they sound bigger! I'd prefer that a novella be called a novella, myself.

message 11: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 24 comments Well I guess I am bias because I wrote a sci-fi novella that is doing really well.The Crecian Experiance
Here is what I love about writing novellas:
-I love that you skip all the fluff
- they get into what they want to say write away
-if you like it but don't love it, you know you will be done soon
- they are usually more haunting and stay with you
-they are better for people who are slower readers.

Elle
Ellelapraim.com

message 12: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments If the writer's good, I'd take either one. My only complaint is the price