YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > Bad Cover- GREAT BOOK!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
Dont judge a book by its cover!! lol post a book that has a so so or ugly cover but is a great book!!

message 2: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

My version of Mockingjay is really ugly. but its a great book.

message 3: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Mockingjay was such a great book!!

message 4: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) by P.C. Cast i love this book!! but the cover is super cheesy!!!

message 5: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Artemis wrote: "Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2) by P.C. Cast i love this book!! but the cover is super cheesy!!!"

LOL it is!

message 6: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

LOL right!!! i mean can it get anymore stereotypical romance cover!!!!

message 7: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) haha yeap!! xD

message 8: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

all its missing is a girl sighing up at him with half her shirt falling off and it would be a 10 on the cheese factor right now its a solid 9 lol

message 9: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) LOL definitely!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) About 75% of the best adult series seem to have really crappy or cheesy covers hiding exceptional books.

YA isn't as bad. Usually it's pretty covers hiding bad books.

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "About 75% of the best adult series seem to have really crappy or cheesy covers hiding exceptional books.

YA isn't as bad. Usually it's pretty covers hiding bad books."

Definitely..they should swap.

message 12: by Déa (new)

Déa Solin Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins
I hate this cover (looks like a freakin' Disney movie), but the book's pretty good.

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) Andréa wrote: "Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins
I hate this cover (looks like a freakin' Disney movie), but the book's pretty good."

That's actually the reason why I held off reading that one.

message 14: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

i know right but the book is pretty good!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I actually liked that cover, haha.

message 16: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) It does remind me of like a Disney Channel movie poster would be like. Disney Channel = hate.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think any fan of Mortal Instruments might like Hex Hall. It has some of the same snarky humor. The first half feels a little young, but I liked it by the end.

message 18: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

@ Stacia totally the beginning was a tad young but i loved it in the end i cant wait to read Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It comes out very soon. :)

message 20: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

ikr!! i m sooo excited!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Hate this cover, liked the book :

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Also don't like this cover, but this book is very good.

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

message 23: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "Hate this cover, liked the book :

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz"

The other cover for its nicer.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) This one is SO cringe worthy (it's pretty terrible), but it's one of my favorite books in the whole series <3 BDB! :

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

message 25: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 20, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Have a love/hate with the Tairen Soul series covers. It's my absolute favorite epic fantasy series of all time, but half of the covers I like and half of them I can't stand.

Hate these covers :

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5) by C.L. Wilson

Like these covers :

Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) by C.L. Wilson

This one I don't like or dislike. I'm neutral :

King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3) by C.L. Wilson

message 26: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) @Stacia They're so cheesy xD

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't know why I like the ones with just Ellie on the cover, but I do. They remind me of traditional epic fantasy I guess.

I almost didn't read the series because the first book cover scared me off. I'm SO glad I did though. Love these so much.

The German covers are awesome :

message 28: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Ah yes its way nicer.

message 29: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (camillaisloved) | 914 comments The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins I personaly think that the reason why I didn't read this trilogy when it first came out was becasue of the covers. They aren't the best to look at. But I do have to say, now that I have read them, the covers are more attractive. But I just think that's because I know what's within.

message 30: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman I really hate this cover. It lamost discouraged me from reading the books. (It would have been the biggest mistake ever!) Although the paperback cover is awesome Eon by Alison Goodman

message 31: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

i just got this book I am soo excited to read it!!

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 12 comments @Stacia I love the cover for Lover Mine, it's actually my favorite out of the series.

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward How about the UK cover for Lover Mine? Between elf boy and the ugly shade of green....... I question, what did the UK ever do to J.R. Ward? Lol.

The entire Sookie Stackhouse series is an excellent example of great books, bad covers. I don't like a single original Sookie Stackhouse cover at all. I much prefer the reissued True Blood tie in covers.

How about the original cover for Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon? Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon I love that book and it's really good, but that cover makes me cringe everytime i see it.

And there's the original cover for Born Of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon. That book is seriously one of the best books I've ever read and it got stuck with that deeply awful cover, why?! Thankfully the edition i read had the new cover and also was the edition that had all the stuff in it that was cut out of the original edition. Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Also there's the cover for The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter. The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter I really liked that book. But yeesh, that cover. Seriously, what it is up with the bizarre sickly shade of yellowish green and his odd pose? Was that picture taken mid-stretch or something?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Haha. I wonder why, "John Matthew's Girl!" Could it be you're a JM fan and that's why you loved his cover? :)

I love the coloring on the next one. Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward

Oh yeah. That Born of Night cover is terrible. At least Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon is a little bit better, but still not great.

LOVE those books though. Oh my god. I want a space assassin of my own!

I wish more people knew about The League series. It's better than a lot of PNR out there, but reads just like one even though it's more sci-fi.

message 34: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

how is that series by Gene Showalter??

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 12 comments @Stacia Lol! There is an enormous, erm slight chance I'm hopelessly in love with him that i have a thing for him. Agree, i want a space assassin of my own too! I tell everyone i know about the League. I even got my mom to read it and she loved it and my mom isn't really into paranormal romance.

@Artemis I've only read one of the Lords Of The Underworld novels and it was really good. And I've heard good things about the rest of the series.

message 36: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Cool thanks i'll have to bump them up to the top of my TBR list :)

message 37: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Timipre wrote: "Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman I really hate this cover. It lamost discouraged me from reading the books. (It would have been the biggest mistake ever!) Although the paperback cover is a..."

Haha Timipre I have a different cover from both of them. Theres so many..

message 38: by Lynnea (new)

Lynnea (lalasbooks) | 8 comments Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey I didn't want to read this book because of the cover and title.... although once you get past that it is a pretty good book.

message 39: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

LOL good to know because the title is horrible lol but everytime i go to the book store i always pick it up but the title always makes me put it back down lol

message 40: by Timmysparks (new)

Timmysparks | 1637 comments Lynnea wrote: "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey I didn't want to read this book because of the cover and title.... although once you get past that it is a pretty good book."

The title was do cheesy and mysterious. I loved that book.

message 41: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (camillaisloved) | 914 comments It was an unexpected good read. ^

message 42: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments I actually like the cover of Unwind.

What I hate is the original covers of The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1) by L.J. Smith The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2) by L.J. Smith The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3) by L.J. Smith . Now the cover is for the 3 books in one and It's better. The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3) by L.J. Smith I really like this/these books!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ Lynnea wrote: "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey I didn't want to read this book because of the cover and title.... although once you get past that it is a pretty good book."

That is one of my fave book covers and book series ever! I am loving the second book's cover a lot.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Candy wrote: "I actually like the cover of Unwind.

What I hate is the original covers of The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1) by L.J. SmithThe Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2) by L.J. SmithThe Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3) by L.J. Smith. Now the cover is for the 3 books in ..."

That's so funny because I love the original covers. They're so retro feeling, like a 50's sci-fi novel. The new one is so bland to me. Black cover, bland girl with windblown hair. No real thought to the design.

message 45: by Delia (new)

Delia (deedreams) | 15 comments The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks The Last Song's cover is pretty boring but this book is awesome.

message 46: by Stormy (new)

Stormy (blueeyedbooknerd) This one is pretty boring looking and the story is good and unique. Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

I think all of Charlaine Harris's books are lame looking. Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris

message 47: by Andre and Sophie (new)

Andre and Sophie (sophiem) | 131 comments that is true. they all look so weird. and the people don't look remotely human-like. FANTASTIC book series though.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ I'm so glad they changed the cover of this book:

To this one because I love this one more than the first one they had:

message 49: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 72 comments i hate when they change the covers after they make it a movie and put the movie stars on the front

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sydney wrote: "i hate when they change the covers after they make it a movie and put the movie stars on the front"

I hate that too. It's really annoying. Sometimes I feel like I should get them all to support the author:P But there's no point really:L I don't usually like the movie covers as much as the original anyways...

« previous 1 3