Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Lesath's 2011 books - 6 complete

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Minerva (new)

Minerva (lesath) I'll make it 52, one for each week.

1. The Moral Animal, Robert Wright
Interesting science but bad philosophy. Comes to some pretty poor conclusions on human nature. Disagree with author's politics. Fascinating in places but painfully cynical in others. Very outdated. 2/5 stars.

2. Delusions of Gender, Cordelia Fine
Too short. Didn't address all of my concerns about the topic. Very polemic; obviously a personal subject for the author. Comes to unwarranted conclusions. On the whole though, not bad -- some interesting criticisms of things taken as gospel in ev-psych circles. 3/5 stars.

3. The War Against Boys, Christina Hoff-Sommers
Read this one back-to-back with Fine's work. Criticizes many of the authors Fine cites (incidentally; War was written before Fine's career started). Very old, outdated. Wish I had gotten some kind of revised/updated edition -- would have liked to hear about the past decade! 3/5 stars.

4. I Am a Strange Loop, Douglas Hofstadter
Disappointing from the author of Godel, Escher, Bach. Repetitive, didactic and doesn't come to enough conclusions. A few good chapters. 3/5 stars.

5. Elbow Room, Daniel Dennett
Mind-opening but rambling. Took an awful long time to finish for a 171 page book. Made some logical leaps I disagreed with, but expanded my horizons on the topic. 3/5 stars.

6. Conversations on Consciousness, Susan Blackmore (ed.)
Currently reading.

message 2: by Minerva (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:56AM) (new)

Minerva (lesath) 6. Conversations on Consciousness, Susan Blackmore (ed.)
A great primer on the subject. 4/5 stars.

7. Descartes' Error, Antonio Damasio
Currently reading.